Cheeky sales rep

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At the weekend i popped into a well known hi-fi and tv outlet branch just to kill some time while my wife did some shopping. The sales guy was right over asking if he could help etc, after asking me what kind of system i had and not knowing the sugden he asked what the price was at the time of purchase. I told him it retailed for about 3 grand 7 years ago and that the amp was 34 watts at class AB. After laughing and getting his mate over the both of them told me i was mad and that the cyrus kit they had was a lot cheaper and far superior because it had more power. Now i don,t know what the price of the cyrus was or how it sounded because i left feeling very angry that some little snot had a laugh about me not even knowing how it compaired, but it got me thinking when i got home that maybe he had a point and that 7 years later mybe you can get better for cheaper. Any comments much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Yea joelsim i know, it wasn,t just the sugden but all the kit, speakers, cables the whole lot were a waste of money he said and that he could sort me out with REAL HI-FI ?

A

Anonymous

when you have free time,book an audition...take your amp with to compare against the cyrus and maybe you will have the last laugh?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So if you had said that you owned the Sugden A21a (pure class A, 23 watts per channel and a direct evolution of a 1960s design) he would probably have wet himself.

Some people still have a 'Top Trumps' attitude to hifi specsheets and can't see past the power rating. However I would not expect to find one working in a place that sells Cyrus.

A degree of technical ignorance in a salesman is one thing. But the ignorance of politeness and respect to a customer (and ignorance of the fact that such behaviour can lose any potential future with a valuable customer in seconds) is unforgivable.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
dim_span:when you have free time,book an audition...take your amp with to compare against the cyrus and maybe you will have the last laugh?My idea of a last laugh would be to publicise the shop to warn potential customers to steer clear. I would probably have told them where to get off in no uncertain terms.

A

Anonymous

Dim-span i think the guy was desperate to get a sale, while i was there he looked the sugden up on the web and said it looked like a little toy system and so surmised that it would sound the same

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah you see, that's the danger of believing what you see on the web...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew have you ever done a review on the bijou, im getting paranoid now

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Ah you see, that's the danger of believing what you see on the web...
emotion-5.gif

Wheras anything printed is of course gospel, see the Daily Mail for confirmation
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Anybody else got a bijou, anybody else heard the bijou ? I,m loosing it now, so angry

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Andrew have you ever done a review on the bijou, im getting paranoid now

Personally, no, but the magazine did it yonks ago and really rather rated it.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
johnnyjazz:

Anybody else got a bijou, anybody else heard the bijou ? I,m loosing it now, so angry

I've got a cat called Bijou I tried connected my speakers to her but to honest it sounded awful!
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Anybody else got a bijou, anybody else heard the bijou ? I,m loosing it now, so angry

Why so angry? Do you like the sound of your system? Yes? Great.

And now you know of one shop to avoid if you ever want to buy something else, as the staff there clearly don't have a clue.

No point of getting a bijou in your bonnet about it...

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
take your suggy in, and plug it into the current spens. then let him compare one of the cyrus amps. It should be quite intesting to see his face when your Toy amplifier makes a fool of his latest spec cyrus. At least at anything that matters in terms of Hi Fi. communicating the emotion and colour in music for a start, suggden know all about that king of thing, and the Bijou shows just what they know.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Only problem is, this kind of sales rep probably just got into his job as a way of making a living and not because he's actually a audiophile.
He probably hasn't heard anything other than the cyrus stuff that shop sells and has had that bet into him by the shop owner.

Loudness and power are probably all that will impress his type, not resolution and realism.
Ive played my system for people in the past and its only the room shaking ability they are impressed by.

johnnyjazz:Yea joelsim i know, it wasn,t just the sugden but all the kit, speakers, cables the whole lot were a waste of money he said and that he could sort me out with REAL HI-FI ?

Not worth becoming paranoid because of some ignorant shop assistant. One man's derision is your gain.....
emotion-5.gif

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Don't get angry. This is exactly how they get a sale out of you. Buyer's remorse is the most dangerous weapon in this business.

Sugden is right up there with the best. You have an amazing system. Enjoy it. Really.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
No point of getting a bijou in your bonnet about it...

Oooh that hurt!

idc

Interesting thread. Rather than cheeky sales rep I think daft sales rep. I can accept constructive criticism, but ridiculing a potential customers exisiting setup, without even knowing what it is. I have no sales training, but I find it hard to believe that technique is on any sales training course.

A

Anonymous

Product knowledge (even for gear you dont stock) used to be a prerequisite, sadly it seems, not any more....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts