Cheap and Cheerful Amp please.

Samd

A back bedroom where all my PC stuff, NAS etc is located is also the ironing room! I have a Sonos Connect and a couple of QA 3010s spare and just want a cheap amp to partner them. At the moment resonably satisified with using the PC's speakers for background noise (!) so it's clear I'm not after owt special. Any recommendations please?

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Rega Brio is a very good little amplifier the RRP is £600.
I don't think you can better this amp on value to be honest. But this only analogue.

You could also look at a second hand Marantz gear like the PM7005/ HD-Amp 1

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
SMSL SA-50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SA-50-TDA7492-Stereo-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B008Y7S198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518550570&sr=8-1&keywords=SMSL+SA-50

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You can always fit better terminals on something like this if you don't like the poxy spring loaded ones: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RX-202MKii/263494020483?hash=item3d5977ad83:g:5gMAAOSwkrFagtAl

Samd

So answers Insider9's question on size of budget and answers a question I didn't pose - small form needed.

Suppose it would mean I would be using the DAC in the Sonos Connect which I haven't tried.

Have you used one of these Chunky?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A simple 'black box' power amp would be my solution, something that you can hide away, drive from your Sonos Connect, yet give excellent performance.

My choice would be the Pear Drop from BK electronics, a 50wpc power amp the original model was used by PMC for their powered monitors. Less than £200 and very good and ultra simple and reliable, can be turned into a mono block should you ever want to double up.

PDB_Front.jpg

davedotco said:
A simple 'black box' power amp would be my solution, something that you can hide away, drive from your Sonos Connect, yet give excellent performance.

My choice would be the Pear Drop from BK electronics, a 50wpc power amp the original model was used by PMC for their powered monitors. Less than £200 and very good and ultra simple and reliable, can be turned into a mono block should you ever want to double up.

Although I haven't seen this amp davedotco recommends I agree with the principle. Why pay out for a preamp section in an integrated amp if you don't need it.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Samd said:
So answers Insider9's question on size of budget and answers a question I didn't pose - small form needed.

Suppose it would mean I would be using the DAC in the Sonos Connect which I haven't tried.

Have you used one of these Chunky?

Yes i use this with the matching dac in my bedroom setup. Sounds fantastic. It's not really 50 watts but only 20. Still loud enough!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts