Streaming iTunes around the house...

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
|( I’m hoping the helpful people here will be able to assist with my understanding and also perhaps point me in some directions (if there are better alternatives to those I’ve considered). Firstly my current setup is: PC – with iTunes; holding all music and photos (upstairs in spare bedroom) Airport Express to my HiFi in my living room (acting as a client to my wifi network) Apple TV to my AV amp, also in the living room, connected to iTunes via Home Sharing O2 Router under the stairs iPhone I’m after the often referred ‘holy grail’ of music streaming for those that use iTunes, which is to have access to the music I have without any need for the PC/Mac to be on. I’m currently looking to start this off in the kitchen, but would like the option to expand the solution going forward. I recently purchased (probably by mistake) an ATV for the living room. It’s all set up to my AV amp and TV and has had some use. I’m now looking to try and access my music which is currently on a FULL hard drive on my PC upstairs (eventually this will be upgraded to either a new PC or, more likely, Mac). Originally I was hoping to purchase a Mac, get a TimeCapsule and use that to hold all my music/photos etc allowing access to my ATV/Airport/iPhone for full music streaming without the need for a Mac to be on. That was my hope, and I now realise this is not possible (unless I have a Mini Mac or equivalent permanently on somewhere). So I’ve turned my head to NAS drives and other media streaming solutions. Firstly: 1 If I purchase a NAS drive (not sure what one to get) and transfer all my music on there (which will hopefully be relatively simple) I will be able to access this via a Sonos system. I understand this appears to be the only system that does this??? 2 I will not be able to access this media content from either my ATV or Airport without the PC/Mac being on??? Is the above correct? If so, I’m thinking of purchasing a NAS drive (recommendations greatly appreciated, but currently looking at a Synology one, although not sure which) and then heading down the S5 Sonos and Sonos Bridge route (the later being connected to my router under the stairs). This will allow me to listen to music in the kitchen via the S5. I will then be able to add further Sonos ‘hubs’ around the home as and when cost/desire (former first!) allow. My questions really are; am I thinking along the right lines? Have I missed anything? Also if anyone has any recommendations for what kit to get that would be also helpful. Budget is reasonably modest, but I know a decent NAS and storage is looking close to £400 plus £350 or so for Sonos and Bridge. Hope the above makes sense? Help very much appreciated!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I’m hoping the helpful people here will be able to assist with my understanding and also perhaps point me in some directions (if there are better alternatives to those I’ve considered).

Firstly my current setup is:

PC – with iTunes; holding all music and photos (upstairs in spare bedroom)

Airport Express to my HiFi in my living room (acting as a client to my wifi network)

Apple TV to my AV amp, also in the living room, connected to iTunes via Home Sharing

O2 Router under the stairs

iPhone

I’m after the often referred ‘holy grail’ of music streaming for those that use iTunes, which is to have access to the music I have without any need for the PC/Mac to be on. I’m currently looking to start this off in the kitchen, but would like the option to expand the solution going forward.

I recently purchased (probably by mistake) an ATV for the living room. It’s all set up to my AV amp and TV and has had some use. I’m now looking to try and access my music which is currently on a FULL hard drive on my PC upstairs (eventually this will be upgraded to either a new PC or, more likely, Mac).

Originally I was hoping to purchase a Mac, get a TimeCapsule and use that to hold all my music/photos etc allowing access to my ATV/Airport/iPhone for full music streaming without the need for a Mac to be on. That was my hope, and I now realise this is not possible (unless I have a Mini Mac or equivalent permanently on somewhere).

So I’ve turned my head to NAS drives and other media streaming solutions.

Firstly:

1. If I purchase a NAS drive (not sure what one to get) and transfer all my music on there (which will hopefully be relatively simple) I will be able to access this via a Sonos system. I understand this appears to be the only system that does this???

2. I will not be able to access this media content from either my ATV or Airport without the PC/Mac being on???

Is the above correct? If so, I’m thinking of purchasing a NAS drive (recommendations greatly appreciated, but currently looking at a Synology one, although not sure which) and then heading down the S5 Sonos and Sonos Bridge route (the later being connected to my router under the stairs). This will allow me to listen to music in the kitchen via the S5. I will then be able to add further Sonos ‘hubs’ around the home as and when cost/desire (former first!) allow.

My questions really are; am I thinking along the right lines? Have I missed anything? Also if anyone has any recommendations for what kit to get that would be also helpful. Budget is reasonably modest, but I know a decent NAS and storage is looking close to £400 plus £350 or so for Sonos and Bridge. Hope the above makes sense?

Help very much appreciated!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
1. If I purchase a NAS drive (not sure what one to get) and transfer all my music on there (which will hopefully be relatively simple) I will be able to access this via a Sonos system. I understand this appears to be the only system that does this???

Not so. Many streaming devices and network players are able to do this. Sonos is one of the well known ones, but there are many others e.g. Logitech Squeezebox, Linn DS range, Naim UnitiQute, Fidelity M1 Clic etc. etc. Sonos is one of the easiest to use, but others may offer better sound quality and/or be able to deal with high resolution 24 bit files.

2. I will not be able to access this media content from either my ATV or Airport without the PC/Mac being on???

I am led to believe the Apple TV won't connect to a NAS without some hacking. Proprietary lock-in and all that.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Tino

I'm sorry, I am aware that there are other solutions! Should have thought a bit more. Sonos just seems the most straightforward, and reasonably priced nowadays.

I would love Naim or Cyrus bit of kit, but budget unfortunately doesn't stretch that far...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a Gen1 ATV with ATVFlash installed and a 1TB Drive attached, works a dream and I can stream from it to my Airport Express If I need or Stream to it from iTunes, you may be able to pick up one of thease used.

A

Anonymous

I purchased A Sons S5 and Bridge at the Airport on a recent trip - about £60 cheaper than elsewhere, and a 1 TB Western Digital NAS Drive from PC World for £89 - easy to set up, works brilliantly and sounds great. Plus you can stream from Spotify and Naptster so it opens up a whole new world of music. Brilliant

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I believe what you are looking for is a first generation ATV. Possibly with an upgraded hard drive. Look on Ebay.

Easily controlled by the iPhone without any computers being switched on.

Works for me!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
PJ1200 said:

Not so. Many streaming devices and network players are able to do this. Sonos is one of the well known ones, but there are many others e.g. Logitech Squeezebox, Linn DS range, Naim UnitiQute, Fidelity M1 Clic etc. etc. Sonos is one of the easiest to use, but others may offer better sound quality and/or be able to deal with high resolution 24 bit files.

Sonos is (to my knowledge) the only one that will work without requiring any additional services or software to run on the NAS, which makes it that little be simpler to administer.

And it's far and away the easiest for multi-room purposes. But it doesn't do 24-bit files, as mentioned.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am successfully streaming from my synology NAS to my airport express without any PC involved. It goes straight from the NAS to my Airport Express (or ATV) and it also streams direct to my iPhone.

Really simple to setup using the Synology iphone app.

Of course without an iphone, itouch or similar I couldn't control it!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Hi, I am successfully streaming from my synology NAS to my airport express without any PC involved. It goes straight from the NAS to my Airport Express (or ATV) and it also streams direct to my iPhone.

Really simple to setup using the Synology iphone app.

Of course without an iphone, itouch or similar I couldn't control it!

Now that is interesting! So you have a Synology NAS drive (can I ask which one?), and you've dumped all your music etc on the drive. You DON'T need the computer on, and you can stream the music from the NAS to the AEX and ATV, using just your iphone app? (I have an iPhone!)

Sounds perfect!? No other tinkering needed or fiddling with itunes etc?

SOLD!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi PJ

I have the DS212J. So far it works brilliantly.

The DS Audio app is similar to the Remote app.

The DS212J has 'Airplay' built into it so can talk to Apple kit.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Hi PJ

I have the DS212J. So far it works brilliantly.

The DS Audio app is similar to the Remote app.

The DS212J has 'Airplay' built into it so can talk to Apple kit.

Cheers Xanderzdad - much appreciated! Looks like I've found my solution and next bit of kit to purchase!!

Thanks everyone for your help/opinions! PJ

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The mac mini is a good peice of kit to run as an iTunes server ( and computing ) it only uses around 9 watts on tick over and you can add external HDD and raid them to backup you content. Don't waist your money on a time capsule, though you could buy a airport extreme and add external HDD to this and you can add as many as you like, and it works just the same as a time capsule but it the HDD fails in a TC you will be very upset. If you are going to buy a Nas then make sure its a dual HDD Nas as once again making two copys is alot safer in the long run.

TRENDING THREADS