Speakers being the weak link here?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
After trying a few streaming vs DAC and disc player options in my system, in the search to see if an external DAC upgrade is worth the money at the moment, I seem to be coming to the conclusion that my speakers are perhaps masking any subtle differences in source selection.

I have tried:

NAS to P4 Pc wireless (FLAC) - Amp via 3.5/phono jack

CD through OPPO - Amp via phono line out

CD through OPPO - DIY DAC via optical out - Amp via Phono line out

I have tried a couple of different interconnects. I have tried to match volume levels as best I can and the conclusion is, that neither myself or my partner can hear any obvious differences between the sources, in effect, three cheap DACS. This surprises me, as the Pc is a several years old and far from quiet gaming Pc.

So is it likely to be speaker related bottleneck? I should mention at this point, that sooner or later a Sonos or Squeezebox controller (with its own internal DAC) will be added to the system.

The system, to my ears at least, sounds ok, but there is some sibilance in the higher frequencies.

Any thoughts?

idc

I do not think that your speakers are masking anything. I think that since we are primarily talking about the digital domain, and as you describe them three cheap DACs the sound is very likely to very similar.

I would wait for you Sonos before doing anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts