cheap alternative to gaia isolation footers !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

Unfortunately the size of these and their inability to quote any weights they will support has always put me off. Foam compresses to the point of becoming useless and will disintegrate over time.
Just clicked through to website and despite them saying they'd update it following my enquiry, clearly they haven't.

They answered by email to confirm max weight for these is 30kg. Compared to Auralex Gramma which will take 90kg.

Either which way, as mentioned above, for floorstanders imo just not suitable as seriously wobbly.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
a friends system is based in an upstairs room hence carpet over wooden floorboards. as a result the bass from the speakers (b&w 601s2) was traveling through the floor boards and could be felt under his feet several metres away. this was despite the speaker stand spikes resting on metal pucks. to combat this he has attacked wine corks to the bottom of each spike and this problem has all but been eliminated with no loss of sound quality ! might sound daft but it has worked and cost very little !
Soundcare Superspikes ( available in M6 and M8 threads ).
Retail for £60-00 for 4 pieces ( for one speaker )

D

Deleted member 160668

That's actually a great suggestion I'm this instance. I've myself owned 601's in the past and they are not that heavy. I investigated the pucks for my floorstanders, which are about 16kg each, but just not up to task hence the order of the Gaia's. But for smaller speaks these could be perfect.

Although, for another 90 quid on a 100 pair of speaks, I cant help but think that spend the 90 bucks on top of resale value and buy better speaks, then buy some washing machine anti vibration feet as per my earlier comment.

They are funky little speakers from what I recall. Recently sold my mums ones for her (previously my old ones before I gave her them) the big bro 602's and good god weren't they bassy. This range were bass heavy.

D

Deleted member 160668

Soundcare Superspikes ( available in M6 and M8 threads ).
Retail for £60-00 for 4 pieces ( for one speaker )
I also contacted them on my quest. These Couple Not decouple so would be no good in this instance.

D

Deleted member 160668

On reflection, my above writeoff of the Gear4music plinths was applicable to my scenario of floorstanders. For 601's which are pretty small by comparison these would probably be perfect.

However, for anyone else with floorstanders and this issue hopefully my various comments and trials for this problem have been slightly useful.

D

Deleted member 160668

similar product to the floor mats in my home gym. the floor mats i have however have to cope with 200kilo plus barbells hitting the floor !
Wow! I hit the gym, dumbbells and bench weights myself, but holy sh*t you must be a tank!!!
Good work!!

D

Deleted member 188516

Wow! I hit the gym, dumbbells and bench weights myself, but holy sh*t you must be a tank!!!
Good work!!

not really !

trained for over 20 years without any break - i love it !

easier to stay consistent when your gym is in the garage, and, is better equipped than the local "gyms"...

D

Deleted member 160668

I've now picked up my new (to me) speakers, some pristine PMC Twenty 23's. Has been a fun day so far 😁

I put the Gaia's on them straight away. Therefore, to give a fair comparison, I am going to live with them for a week or so before I comment upon the Gaia's. My intention is to switch them in and out a couple of times for comparison. Once I've done this I will report back. If there is a clear result I will say. If not, then back on ebay they go.
I also intend, for curiosity, to switch in the washing machine anti vibration feet (sub £10 worth, but on my suspended floor, which yielded excellent results).

More to follow, and some actual thoughts and comparisons. For now, I'm just grinning my b*llocks off and playing some tunes
👍👍👍

D

Deleted member 160668

Mine are Gaia III's under the PMC's...

I'm no reviewer, but in my own words:

Clearer, more definition and textured sound, almost zero vibration on my suspended floor (these are atop a granite plinth). The back (party) wall has little bass carry.

A noticeable difference with/without.

These will be going nowhere and if I did ever decide to change speakers I'd keep them for the next pair.

And now I've had a week of fun - god I LOVE these speakers. They sound seriously awesome. I'm a happy bunny 😁

Mine are Gaia III's under the PMC's...

I'm no reviewer, but in my own words:

Clearer, more definition and textured sound, almost zero vibration on my suspended floor (these are atop a granite plinth). The back (party) wall has little bass carry.

A noticeable difference with/without.

These will be going nowhere and if I did ever decide to change speakers I'd keep them for the next pair.

And now I've had a week of fun - god I LOVE these speakers. They sound seriously awesome. I'm a happy bunny 😁
Best investment I have made for speakers on a suspended floor. Glad our findings are similar.
I held off on cost reasons for a long time but as my speakers were obtained fairly cheaply and were keepers I eventually decided to go for them . Glad I did.

Some users of English substitute 'cheap' for the British 'mean.' Value is in the eye of the beholder, so I don't think it matters what someone else thinks in that area - I'm trying not to veer off into the forbidden territory of speculation about others' motives here!

D

Deleted member 188516

I own the Gaias. They were a very good improvement for my speakers, for not a lot of money. I have cables that are the multiple in price of the Gaias, and the Gaias do almost as much for much less.

may i ask what speakers and cables you use ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts