Changing mobile provider.

I have a SIM-only deal with O2, having been dumped there by Virgin. Costs have gone up noticeably, and O2 seems limited in options. Has anyone switched networks, and if so, how did you do your research? Did you manage to keep the same number? Thanks in advance.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Switched 3 mobiles a few yrs back from Vodafone (worst customer service I’ve ever experienced) to BT and the process was pretty slick - all numbers retained. Didn’t do much research - the main driver was the desire to get shut of Vodafone. We already had BT Fibre and now have a package covering fibre, mobiles (no roaming charges) and TV. Happy with it although their app is crap.

Good luck 👍

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Have started looking at Uswitch. Gifgaf (sp?) uses O2's network but offers cheaper, non-contract terms it seems.
I can vouch for giffgaff which I and most of my family have been using for a few years now. The rates they have are competitive and you can change to a different level, depending on how much data you require, each month without penalty. You are also not tied in for any set time unless you want one of their latest packages which give a bigger data level for a given cost compared to their monthly version. They also have good prices for both new and refurbished phones.

Gray

I will be watching this thread with interest - as I'm very much in research / learning mode.

Not long ago, I didn't know what a SIM was (and I'd still rather not know what one is 🙄)

However, I've scoured the comparison sites, taking note of the devil in the details.
I've found Lebara (Vodaphone) was my best choice, when bought through Moneysupermarket.

Of course, your price depends on the amount of data you want.
Even though monthly 'contracts' are available, SIM pricing in general is affected by the annual, inflation + whatever-they-fancy increase trend - conveniently invented by home broadband providers.

I'm currently only on 15GB just to test the signal around the house. (Important as I've just dumped the home broadband provider - with a view to relying solely on tethering).

Consequently, I'm looking forward to reading about the best 50-100GB SIM deals (preferably on one month contract) that anyone knows of.

Reactions: Minkey1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
We buy our handsets, Nexus/Pixels for years, jumping to iPhones in January. Hasn’t been a red shiny apple success. I could see us switching back.

Our BT SIM only tariffs are £14pm for Unltd/Unltd/25Gb and for now we’ll stick with it. Our broadband is uncapped Fibre 900 and with 4k streaming, WA video calling etc, relying on the phone connections wouldn’t be feasible.

The new Govt have plenty on their plate, but wouldn’t it be good if they found time to outlaw this annual “inflation-plus-4%” scam.

It’s outrageous 😡

Reactions: Gray
The new Govt have plenty on their plate, but wouldn’t it be good if they found time to outlaw this annual “inflation-plus-4%” scam.
A big fat amen to that...

Got my terms through - Mrs 12th's was as it should have been, mine was 20% more. So I've spent over an hour listening to their jaunty hold music (which we have decided should be called 'You'll wish you were dead') and they've credited my account with the difference plus a tenner.

Mobile/ISP companies seem to have the worst customer service bar none.

Reactions: Gray and Minkey1

abacus

You only need a new sim if you change your network, if you are staying with O2 you will be fine (3rd party contracts may or may not use O2, so check first, as if they don't then you will need a new sim) in all cases you can keep your number. (As far as I am aware Giff Gaff use O2)
Also check to see if your phone is still getting security updates, otherwise you will be vulnerable to hacks, if the security updates have run out (Phones only get a limited amount) then get a new phone.

Bill

A big fat amen to that...

Got my terms through - Mrs 12th's was as it should have been, mine was 20% more. So I've spent over an hour listening to their jaunty hold music (which we have decided should be called 'You'll wish you were dead') and they've credited my account with the difference plus a tenner.

You're not wrong there.....

Gray

Avoid Lycamobile.
For my home phone and broadband I was with the Post Office....Shell Energy took over from them.....Octopus Energy took over from them.....Talk Talk took over from them.

So, in the same contract, I'm on my 4th provider!
I had the misfortune of speaking with Talk Talk's customer service this week.
Needless to say, there was the subsequent 'how did we do' type of e-mail.
(They all put more effort into asking how well....rather than actually doing well).

They wanted a reason for my zero chance of recommending to family and friends.
A language barrier meant that
I couldn't understand the advisor.
The advisor couldn't understand me.
(The inter- country line delay made things worse).
Naturally, I was unable to speak to a manager, whereas the advisor could.

Where necessary, I always convey my sympathy to customer service advisors for them having to endure their diabolical jobs - although, a couple of times, I've had to teach stroppy blokes the meaning of customer service.

If anyone knows of excellent (or even just acceptable) customer service - always let them (and us) know about it 👍

Northumbrian, on behalf of Essex & Suffolk Water.
Yes, they wanted to charge me £2,065 for their leak 🤨....but their call handlers are excellent 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

jjbomber

Have started looking at Uswitch. Gifgaf (sp?) uses O2's network but offers cheaper, non-contract terms it seems.
I change about twice and year and normally through Uswitch. Remember to go via Quidco to get cashback as well. Best one I had was Lyca at £1.49 a month for 6 months with £12 cashback. Basically they paid me £3 to have unlimited calls and texts with 6GB data for the 6 months.

daveh75

The only bits of advice id give with switching is it's pointless asking, or offering advice on networks to use, as that is entirely dependent on the area(s) of intended use.

So you're best of getting PAYG Sims from each of the four networks and testing for yourself who provides the best coverage.

Where I live/work/frequent the most, VM02 is 🐎💩 and Vodafone's barely any better.

So it means using either EE or Three's networks for me.

Personally I always use MVNOs as their more competitive than the MNOs they piggyback on most of the time

Ofcom also provides a guide on switching/keeping your number.

Gray

The only bits of advice id give with switching is it's pointless asking, or offering advice on networks to use, as that is entirely dependent on the area(s) of intended use.

So you're best of getting PAYG Sims from each of the four networks and testing for yourself who provides the best coverage.

Where I live/work/frequent the most, VM02 is 🐎💩 and Vodafone's barely any better.

So it means using either EE or Three's networks for me.

Personally I always use MVNOs as their more competitive than the MNOs they piggyback on most of the time

Ofcom also provides a guide on switching/keeping your number.

So far, in the same locations, I've found the Three network unreliable, whereas Vodaphone has given up to three times the home brodband speed of my old copper line....experiments need to continue.

No substitute for trying for yourself (whatever the coverage maps say).

Reactions: abacus

daveh75

It’s outrageous 😡

Already dealt with by ASA/OFCOM/CMA last year.

It doesn't ban the practice of mid contract price hikes unfortunately, but they're no longer allowed to use CPI + % formulas.

They have to clearly state increases in pounds and pence and when it will increase at the start of the contract now

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
….

They have to clearly state increases in pounds and pence and when it will increase at the start of the contract now
Oh, well that’s OK then. What’re the chances increase stated in advance will be less than projected inflation + 3.9%.

About zero, I’d guess.

A set price valid for the duration of the contract is what’s needed.

Reactions: Gray and DougK1
Having decided to kick them into touch, I now see that they have applied early termination charges to my plan, even though they are still charging me the older, higher amount. As long as it suits you eh, O2...

When my term is up, I will be going to GiffGaff.

Gray

I've been on the phone for half hour+ to a South African Talk Talk call centre this morning.
I was advised that none of the advisors I've spoken to in the last week have put notes on the account for others to see 🤬

....and I'm currently awaiting a "within an hour" callback from a different department - that's also just about expired.

Reactions: DougK1

DCarmi

I upgraded my sim only deal with Vodafone through mobiles.co.uk (that's Currys), in April. Pretty straightforward and got unlimited/unlimited/200GB for £9.40 after cashback and it was activated later that day. I usually change deals just before the annual price rise, so I avoid the increase. I never deal with Vodafone directly.

abacus

If you have a physical store of your network provider near you, go there as they will normally come up with a better deal than online. (They can also access to your account just like a call centre, so you don't have to wait for a call back)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts