Changing Cartridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Okay that's it.... :) New Cartridge fitted and alligned....yet again no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be...and the worst part was alligning the cartridge and making sure it was all set up correctly. I'm going to reserve comment on it for a few days, until I have had a proper chance to listen to it and believe it will maybe take a while to open up to its full potential as well. In fact does anyone know roughly what the run in time for a Goldring 1042 is

Personally I trust manual scales more like the Shure SFG-2. Once you get the hang of them they're great fun to use and extremely accurate.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice chaps. Don't know if I had more patience tonight or what but gave it a another go and it all fell in to place nicely. Cheers for the tip Jason, that help an awful lot. Turntables now running and sounding fantastic. Need to buy more vinyl now
smiley-laughing.gif

Lee

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Thanks for the advice chaps. Don't know if I had more patience tonight or what but gave it a another go and it all fell in to place nicely. Cheers for the tip Jason, that help an awful lot. Turntables now running and sounding fantastic. Need to buy more vinyl now
smiley-laughing.gif

Lee

Glad to hear it Troy...nothing worse than knowing that your TT doesn't sound quite right and struggling to get it sorted.

Be careful though its an addictive habit buying new vinyl...I hate to think how much I have spent over the last 3 months on LP's....I think Bretty would agree as well :)

Have fun and enjoy :)

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Tell me about it, I've bought 6 albums in the last 24 hours I'll see how many I can get away with before her indoors notices
smiley-smile.gif

Also got plans for a TT PSU, Technoweight and a Groovetracer subplatter and I've caught myself looking at new amps. This hobbie costs a freakin fortune.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've just fitted a 1042 to my p3-24. Getting the nuts onto the threads of the bolts was tricky till I used the mini-spanner supplied with the cartridge, with a little bit of sellotape on the underside of the spanner, sticking out so that the nut could rest/stick on it.

I could then hold the spanner under the tonearm (with the nut resting on the sticky side of the tape) and then screw the bolt from above. When the bolt had caught enough of the thread the spanner could be removed and the tape taken off, then use spanner without tape to hold while completing the tightening.

Only had time to play one record before family invaded - but a definite few steps up from the previous Goldring 2200. Joy!!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Tell me about it, I've bought 6 albums in the last 24 hours I'll see how many I can get away with before her indoors notices
smiley-smile.gif

Also got plans for a TT PSU, Technoweight and a Groovetracer subplatter and I've caught myself looking at new amps. This hobbie costs a freakin fortune.

thankfully my wife has not counted how many LPs I have so I am regularly sneaking off to buy more, don't think it will last for too long mind before I hear, 'hang on................!' :love:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
I've just fitted a 1042 to my p3-24. Getting the nuts onto the threads of the bolts was tricky till I used the mini-spanner supplied with the cartridge, with a little bit of sellotape on the underside of the spanner, sticking out so that the nut could rest/stick on it.

I could then hold the spanner under the tonearm (with the nut resting on the sticky side of the tape) and then screw the bolt from above. When the bolt had caught enough of the thread the spanner could be removed and the tape taken off, then use spanner without tape to hold while completing the tightening.

Only had time to play one record before family invaded - but a definite few steps up from the previous Goldring 2200. Joy!!

Yep the Goldring 1042 is a nice cartrdige, I have been very impressed with it so far and a major jum up from the Elys 2 (which I realise now sounded like it was boxing the music in). As for the nuts on the cartridge, thats exactly what I did, well rested the nut on the spanner and placed it under the holeand then got the screw to bite and HEY PRESTO...job done.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys. You have all reminded me what was so great about the convenience of CD and why I have not bought myself a turntable no matter how good vinyl can sound. How much of this enthusiasm is going to die away when high-bitrate downloads become more common? Or do you vinyl lovers take pleasure in all this ritual?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Trefor Patten said:
Thanks guys. You have all reminded me what was so great about the convenience of CD and why I have not bought myself a turntable no matter how good vinyl can sound. How much of this enthusiasm is going to die away when high-bitrate downloads become more common? Or do you vinyl lovers take pleasure in all this ritual?

Honestly...it has been a bit of a faff, but the results are worth it. I haven't converted to streaming etc yet (though still buying lots of CDs) because streaming leads to stuttering and ruins the enjoyment.

And there is a magic about watching a bit of black plastic going round and creating such wonderful sound through a little needle.

Though, vinyl lovers are definitely being ripped off by the prices being charged - they're not that expensive to produce!!! The production cost of a 12" vinyl record plus printed sleeve is only approx £1.30 each on a quantity of 2,000. 180g ("audiophile") adds pennies to that cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts