Changing bitrate of entire mp3 library

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My entire music library, from CDs and downloads, is stored on my computer hard drive as 256kbs mp3s (21 gigabytes in total). I use itunes to listen to music off the computer, or for making CDs for the car. My 6gig mp3 player is a Sony, which will only recognise Sony's (hopeless) Sonic Stage software. I'm going on holiday soon, and want to get as much of my collection onto the player as possible.

Is there any software out there that can reduce the bitrate/file sizes so I can cram my 21 gig library into 6? I don't mind losing quality just for this exercise. The thought of re-ripping all my CDs at 64kbs just for a holiday makes me shudder. I can't see there's any way that Sonic Stage can import my library at a lower bitrate than existing.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
terryhickmott:
My entire music library, from CDs and downloads, is stored on my computer hard drive as 256kbs mp3s (21 gigabytes in total). I use itunes to listen to music off the computer, or for making CDs for the car. My 6gig mp3 player is a Sony, which will only recognise Sony's (hopeless) Sonic Stage software. I'm going on holiday soon, and want to get as much of my collection onto the player as possible.

Is there any software out there that can reduce the bitrate/file sizes so I can cram my 21 gig library into 6? I don't mind losing quality just for this exercise. The thought of re-ripping all my CDs at 64kbs just for a holiday makes me shudder. I can't see there's any way that Sonic Stage can import my library at a lower bitrate than existing.

Thanks

dbpoweramp

terryhickmott:

Thanks

Sorry, Terry for hi-jacking your thread. Crikey, we share the same name, wonderful old kentish name......
emotion-2.gif
. There aren't many of us around.....

A

Anonymous

Yes, Penguin is a wonderful old Kentish name. According to my wife's genealogy quest, my lot originated around St Pancras, then to Bristol, then Worcestershire. I'm from the Wirral, now living in North Wales. Electronic mail is cerries@aol.com

terryhickmott:Yes, Penguin is a wonderful old Kentish name. According to my wife's genealogy quest, my lot originated around St Pancras, then to Bristol, then Worcestershire. I'm from the Wirral, now living in North Wales. Electronic mail is cerries@aol.com

Yup, my Dad was born in London, although my Grandfather was born in Hastings. Ironic too my uncle lived on the Welsh/Cheshire border.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Itunes itself will change the bitrate. First go to preferences in your iTunes menu, select import settings, change to a lower bitrate and OK that. The back to your main iTunes window, select all the tunes you want to change and click on advanced - create MP3 version and it will process them leaving the original files intact. The import your smaller files to your Sony in the normal way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts