Changing all the system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I think they're Adam artist 6 - but now discontinued :-(

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

edit: maybe not..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771270-REG/Adam_Professional_Audio_ARTIST_6_WHITE_ARTist_6_150W_Dual.html

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
I think they're Adam artist 6 - but now discontinued :-(

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

edit: maybe not..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771270-REG/Adam_Professional_Audi...

The Artist 6 was part of the 'multimedia' range from Adam, in fact they would be superb if marketed as hi-fi product, but they never were. They were sent out through their usual semi-pro network and really did bot sell, simply the wrong market.

The Artist 6 was about €1200, or £1k, but because they made no sense in a studio situation they were reduced in price and sold off through Thomann in germany for about £600, fantastic value.

By the time I was organised enough to buy a pair they were sold out, about 5 months ago. I was lucky enough to get a returned pair in perfect condition, though minus grills, for an even better price.

Superb speakers for hi-fi use, though bass light compared to the A7x/A8x, but fine for what I play, all in all a very neat and tidy package in a domestic situation.

There are still some about, but prices are variable and often very high. Personally I would say they are good value at around £800-1000.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Is that £600 each?

All prices quoted are per pair.

A lot of pro-dealers do price in singles and in some cases this is not totally obvious but as the convention in hi-fi is to quote by the pair, I try and do that.

It is rather unfortunate that most active speakers are designed for studio use and look rather 'industrial' as a consequence, grills are rare as is much choice of finish. The Adam Artist series was unusual in that they offer good looks and finish suitable for many homes, but strangely never marketed them in the hi-fi market, I can only speculate why.

series.jpg

All the models are available, bar the Artist 6, from Thoman in germany, but the more popular Artist 5 is actually more expensive than they were selling the Artist 6.

Once you get past these and the traditional nice veneer and grill finish of the AVIs, it is very hard to find quality actives that look nice in a domestic setup. Sure there are a few, Quad and Kef at the budget end, Meridian and Dynaudio towards the hi-end, but that is about all.

A number of hi-fi manufacturers have dabled with powered designs, Q Acoustics, Ruark, Dali and others, some look ok visually but they really should not be confused with 'proper' active designs.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Cycleman said:
i want to take a speaker (the max 2000euro) with good bass

Based on the review in this months HiFi+ magazine the GoldenEar Triton Five looks like exactly what you're asking for. The review basically says they're passive floorstanders with powerful deep bass and good all round performance to go with it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Do you find the bass sufficient with them. Would be a ideal solution for me.
Only you can say for sure. Everyone's description is one of interpretation, but how well a particular product comes across to you personally can only be determined by auditioning. Everyone has likes and dislikes, needs and wants. It's your money. Take on board the advice here, then go audition.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In my experience most enthusiasts have little idea of the frequencies involved so listening is important.

Most think that the bass notes that they hear are actually much lower in frequency than they actually are. Given that most 5 or 6 inch units are already rolling off by 100hz it is surprising how convincing they can sound in a domestic room.

Of course room gain helps but our subjective evaluation is what matters and that varies enormously. Most people forget or are not aware of the fact that most recordings on vinyl, reknowned for it's warmth, are filtered below abput 70hz in order to get a reasonable playing time.

matthewpiano

David@FrankHarvey said:
newlash09 said:
Do you find the bass sufficient with them. Would be a ideal solution for me.
Only you can say for sure. Everyone's description is one of interpretation, but how well a particular product comes across to you personally can only be determined by auditioning. Everyone has likes and dislikes, needs and wants. It's your money. Take on board the advice here, then go audition.
Follow this advice. It's spot on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts