Change of flooring...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Excuse me if this subject has been covered before, but I did search for it and couldn't find anything quite the same.
For aesthetic reasons, we want to change the flooring in my listening room.
It is currently laid with laminated wood and a rug and we want to change it to ceramic tiles and the builder has suggested it would be better to have a concrete foundation rather than hardboard.
I am very happy with the SQ the way things are, but wouldn't want to reduce the base any more, in having the concrete foundation, is this going to make a noticeable difference?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a builder, so sorry if this is a stupid question. Is the floor currently suspended, and is it the space underneath which will be filled with concrete?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the bass might increase. i would guess that some bass is currently going through the floor, and the concrete will stop at least some of it. i think the only way you'll end up with less bass is if the floor space is resonating with the bass, but this should be noticeable as a boom rather than a bass note. don't ditch the rug!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Craig M. said:
the bass might increase. i would guess that some bass is currently going through the floor, and the concrete will stop at least some of it. i think the only way you'll end up with less bass is if the floor space is resonating with the bass, but this should be noticeable as a boom rather than a bass note. don't ditch the rug!

If a suspended wooden floor is replaced by a concrete one, I agree. The bass should improve and tighten up. The only thing (as suggested above), is the tiles will make the room "live". To stop the echoes, more attention will probably be needed in acoustically treating the room. It may even need some subtle panels.

You won't know for definite until the job is done, though one thing is for sure, the work will affect the sound.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm not a builder, so sorry if this is a stupid question. Is the floor currently suspended, and is it the space underneath which will be filled with concrete?

Not a stupid question at all Cno. Yes it's the space underneath is to be filled in with concrete.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:

Hi CraigM,
Thanks for the reply.
I really don't want any boom, as this is something I've been suffering from with nearly every speaker used in this room. It's only since having the ATC's that's solved that problem.
The 40's have a very flat response and my concern is that having the solid floor might deaden the sound in any way.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Macspur said:
... the space underneath is to be filled in with concrete.

Any particular reason why - aside from the builder increasing his fee/costs?

No extra cost! Just think he feels it would be a stronger foundation for the tiles to sit on and perhaps add a bit of extra insulation to what can be a bit of a chilly room.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
6th.replicant said:
Macspur said:

No extra cost! Just think he feels it would be a stronger foundation for the tiles to sit on and perhaps add a bit of extra insulation to what can be a bit of a chilly room.

In which case, I assume your listening room is on the ground floor?

IME, concrete sub-floor + tiles = very cold floor/icey tootsies 'cos the concrete and tiles act as a conduit for cold thermals. But I'm also assuming you live in the UK, if sunnier climes, then it's obviously not an issue.

If you are UK-based, maybe consider underfloor heating? The electric cable-type is very cost-effective - in terms of installation and running costs - and not too much extra work/cost if a tiled floor is going to be laid anyway.

Also, if installing underfloor heating, there'd be no need for concrete because of the layer of insulating sheets beneath the cabling.

In short, I've recent experinece of having underfloor heating and tiles laid on a suspended floor.

Thrilling, eh? :oops:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Macspur said:

Hmmm, my thoughts exactly.

As long as the existing structure is sound, tiles will happily lay on board if the correct adhesive and grout is used. Any floor spring can be sorted out by reinforcing the existing joists, cheaply and quickly (compared to preparing and laying concrete).

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I certainly agree about the underfloor heating. Tiles on their own are very cold on the feet. We had underfloor electrical heating put in our kitchen and bathrooms when we had the floors tiled, and we certainly do not regret it. It added little to the cost of doing up the rooms.

It will sure make a difference to the accustics of the room. You may need strategically placed rugs and other soft furnishings. However, the comfort and look of the room has to come before audio perfection (for most of us).

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts