Change Marantz and Focal speakers for smaller set up?

thom75

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
Due to a re arrangement of the living room and my girlfriends insistence it's time for the focal 816v floor standers to go. Currently these are paired with a marantz pm7001Ki and sa7001. Most of my music is on cd but also have google chromecast audio, I also use the amp hooked up to a sky hd box for tv.
Question is do I just look for small bookshelf speakers? Looking for recommendations that will sit on cabinet either side of tv or sell the lot and buy something like naim muso? Room is 4×5 and sitting 3 metres from speakers and tv. Any help or recomendations appreciated, will be trying local audio T as soon as possible, alos need to sell the rather large focals before a total change. Thanks

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered keeping the speakers and changing the girlfriend?
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

matthewpiano

If you really can't persuade her to let the Focals stay, I'd suggest your best option would be a pair of Neat Iotas. If you need something cheaper than that, Q Acoustics Concept 20. These are the models that would best work in the new position you describe, though you are obviously going to lose some characteristics of your current speakers.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If putting speakers on a cabinet, you'll need to beware of the cabinet acting as bass reinforcement, which could cause a nasty LF booming. Matthewp's suggestion of the Neat Iotas is a good one, as they're designed for applications like this.

I'd give some thought to mounting the speakers on (good rigid) wall brackets. This can be done so as to look good, and it has the advantage of separating the speakers from that cabinet.

K

keeper of the quays

Dynaudio 42 would be ok..bout £200 s/h..i have 42's and 40's nice speakers...got reference speakers now..mordaunt short 902i very nice too....think small speakers are great..

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'd give some thought to mounting the speakers on (good rigid) wall brackets. This can be done so as to look good, and it has the advantage of separating the speakers from that cabinet.

Sorry to contradict but as someone who replaced a pair of speakers mounted on good wall brackets with a pair of floor standers in our sitting room recently, the floor standers look much better. They look like they're supposed to be there whereas no matter how aesthetic the brackets are, speakers half way up the wall always look like an add on.

For what it's worth, my experience of matrimonial harmony comes from incorporating the kit into the room layout which may mean the speakers not being in the absolute perfect position sonically, and most importantly making sure every single cable is hidden.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts