Change b&w 685 s2 or change amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
As with any 'bookshelf', you really need a good set of speaker stands to get best out of 685's. Filled and 'spiked', the spands do wonders for the midbass you refer to... if the investment in stands do not bring about the 'sound' you're looking for, you'll be set for the next speaker you buy (assuming they are not on proper stands already?)

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I am also looking to add a power amp or switch out my integrated amp.

My current system is a ROTEL RA-12 (60 Watts, Class AB) + B&W 685 S2 + Apple TV (3rd gen).

I love the sound from my current setup but it now seems to lack power. I find myself turning the volume up quite “loud” to be able to hear it. However, turning up the volume does not give me that “full sound” I am looking for. Instead, it’s just plain “loud”.

I recently moved and my setup is in a much bigger open living area (main area is 5 meters X 7.3 meters) with an open kitchen attached. Am I wrong to think it is the amp lacking power to drive my speakers in my open space?

Some options I came up with:

1. Adding a power amp:

ROTEL RB-1572 (2 X 250 Watts, Class D)

or

ROTEL RB-1582 MkII (2 X 200 Watts, Class AB)

2. Switching out the integrated amp (RA-12):

ROTEL RA-1570 (2 X 120 Watts, Class AB)

Or

ROTEL RA-1592 (2 X 200 Watts, Class AB)

3. Open to suggestions…

Ideas, thoughts, opinions, advice, etc… is welcomed!

insider9

Most standmounts will get lost is that size of the room irrespective of amplification. Getting decent floorstanders would be the first step.

The room that further extends to open plan kitchen depending on the choice of speakers, listening position, volume levels may force you to also replace your amp.

I'd suggest auditioning with that in mind. Basically looking for new setup, floorstanders and amp. Even if funds don't allow at present. Would be good to find what works well with new speakers while making sure that they'd be ok with your Rotel for the time being.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I strongly believe, from what I could experience, that no brand is better than an other. No brand gives away freebies in quality. Especially in the entry prices you are lurking, things will have to be paid their respective price. But, they are different setups. So a rather sounded speaker sounded speaker, like what you find at B&W,

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/enceinte-hifi/b-w/804s/medias/photos/a.play,m.1016180.html

will be in total opposition to some rather neutral speakers like ATC with Fletscher Munson inspired setups.

Neither B&W nor ATC are known to make speakers that are simple to drive. ATC, often, need power to run properly (don't know for the scm11). B&W need power and impedance dropping ability from an amplifier (what Nads can't generally do in their entry series).

So, finding the setup that suits to your music tastes is what is important.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Most standmounts will get lost is that size of the room irrespective of amplification. Getting decent floorstanders would be the first step.

ATC SCM50's are existing in standmount version. So does numerous other, very authority capable spekers (PSI, Quested, and so on...).

On the other side, you could have floorstanders setted up to cut at 60hz +/- 3dB. Especially on lots of floorstanders of today, I have the impression that the bass authority is sacrified.

insider9

NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
insider9 said:

ATC SCM50's are existing in standmount version. So does numerous other, very authority capable spekers (PSI, Quested, and so on...).

On the other side, you could have floorstanders setted up to cut at 60hz +/- 3dB. Especially on lots of floorstanders of today, I have the impression that the bass authority is sacrified.
That's a bit of a leap going from B&W 685 to ATC SCM50 :)

Sure, there will be some standmounts that may do rather well but will be hard to get at similar price point.

gasolin

Don't know what you're source is, for 800€ you can get som hefty studio monitors

https://www.thomann.de/dk/yamaha_hs_8.htm yamaha hs 8 looks

https://www.thomann.de/dk/adam_f7.htm Adam F7

You will still have some left for isoacoustics stand which i recommend (all the time) and cable, soundcars if you need that you could get for what you can selel your current amsp,speakers for if they are not included in the 800€ (atleast one or the other)

New amp Rotel or consider Marnatz PM8005

Speakers consider Q Acoustics concept 20, marantz and nad amps sound good with Q Acoustics

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts