Change b&w 685 s2 or change amp?

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys...

I have b&w 685 s2 with nad 326bee.i am not so excited... Maybe the nad can move as well the mid bass.

My budget is 800 euro... So i can sell my nad Plus 800€ and buy the biger nad or...... Sell my speakers plus 800€ and buy atc scm11. As i read the atc wants very very difficult speakers...

So If i buy the atc.. I will matched with nad.... And after buy a better amp. I was wondered if the peach tree that is a powerful and cheap amp it will be good match. If not.. an amp 1500€ can drive the atc properly.?if yes which amp be a good match?

thanx a lot. Sorry about my english

Cycleman said:
Hello guys...

I have b&w 685 s2 with nad 326bee.i am not so excited... Maybe the nad can move as well the mid bass.

My budget is 800 euro... So i can sell my nad Plus 800€ and buy the biger nad or...... Sell my speakers plus 800€ and buy atc scm11. As i read the atc wants very very difficult speakers...

So If i buy the atc.. I will matched with nad.... And after buy a better amp. I was wondered if the peach tree that is a powerful and cheap amp it will be good match. If not.. an amp 1500€ can drive the atc properly.?if yes which amp be a good match?

I am not too sure what you find lacking in your speakers so suggest this is what you have to sort out first. Why ATC SCM11's ? Have you heard them?

You need, firstly, to find a speaker that is going to perform well in your listening room. What sort of size is this?

Go out and audition as many speakers as you can before worrying about the amp. And, for what it is worth, I think you could do a lot better than the NAD for not much more money.

PS:- Where did you get the idea of the Peachtree from and what are the sources you are going to be using in your system?

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
yes i listen atc and i find so so...sweet and so smouth...it was with primaluma amp and preamp...i don't know the cost of it.i think this speaker is power eater.

my room is 16 spuare meters. i had heard peachtree before but i don't remember the speakers...and the idea is that is very powerful and good...maybe a little bit hard at highs frequencies...and not so much money.atc can work with 300w and as you know power is something that change the sound.For sure not the only thing.

my source is a laptop with ifi iusb3.0 nano and ifi dac micro ...

thanx about your answer.

Cycleman said:
yes i listen atc and i find so so...sweet and so smouth...it was with primaluma amp and preamp...i don't know the cost of it.i think this speaker is power eater.

my room is 16 spuare meters. i had heard peachtree before but i don't remember the speakers...and the idea is that is very powerful and good...maybe a little bit hard at highs frequencies...and not so much money.atc can work with 300w and as you know power is something that change the sound.For sure not the only thing.

my source is a laptop with ifi iusb3.0 nano and ifi dac micro ...

thanx about your answer.

The ATC's do like a little bit of power yes but there is no reason to believe they need a huge amount. I can see no reason why something like the Peachtree Nova 150 would not drive them perfectly adequately.

Just thought I would mention that before someone comes on and tells you that you need to go 'Active' ;-)

Although, if that is your only source, they may have a valid point.

PS:- 16 square metres tells us very little, what is the length of the walls?

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
i mean that an amp about 80watt can't drive the atc (IMO). and peachtree have the power in that price and also the quality...but i don't know if it is a good match. i don't know if i will find an amp about 1500euro to match and drive properly the atc. i am worried about that...

nad is a good match with B&W but i think that the 326bee is small for B&W 685. The nad 356bee is the best value for money. On the other hand i find B&W i little bit hard is not like atc smooth and pleasant...

about my room ...is 4,5mx3,5m

manicm

Haven't heard the 685s2 but they should be a bit more forgiving than the s1, but either speaker won't flatter recordings, which perplexes me more as the Nad should round them off. If you've only recently acquired the 685s give them some running in time.

Cycleman said:
i mean that an amp about 80watt can't drive the atc (IMO). and peachtree have the power in that price and also the quality...but i don't know if it is a good match. i don't know if i will find an amp about 1500euro to match and drive properly the atc. i am worried about that...

nad is a good match with B&W but i think that the 326bee is small for B&W 685. The nad 356bee is the best value for money. On the other hand i find B&W i little bit hard is not like atc smooth and pleasant...

about my room ...is 4,5mx3,5m

I'm not sure what you mean about an 80 wpc amp not being able to drive the ATC's, I know people that have them on less powerful amps. The Peachtree will have plenty of power and there must be numerous sub-1500 euro amps out there that will drive them.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Cycleman said:
So... You think that with 80watt amp its ok for atc?! 
yes 80watts should drive these OK.fantastic speakers the atc.i think if you buy the atc you could upgrade your amp later.so the speakers will be a good investment

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
So... You think that with 80watt amp its ok for atc?!

And what do you mean active.... Active speaker? I heard some acrive speakers but i dont like monitor sound... Is too flat

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Do you think atc is much better speaker from the b&w? And if you know tell me some amps to choose for atc. Thanx
alot better.the rega elit r for £850 is a good start.but anything over a £1000 with at least 80 watts is going to be fantastic.i listen to the atc 11 at my local shop and was blown away by these such engaging sound.sucked me right in:) also I would recommend the dynaudio's emit 20.another fantastic pair of speakers which I think are better than the b&w

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
My man... You make to sell everything and buy this staf. But first i will try again to hear them with my dac from laptop.

Tell one more thing... There is atc scm 11 on market old and new model? If yes how can i distinguish them?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Cycleman said:
My man... You make to sell everything and buy this staf. But first i will try again to hear them with my dac from laptop. 

Tell one more thing... There is atc scm 11 on market old and new model? If yes how can i distinguish them? 
iv spent a lot of money on hifi and iv learnt that if you invest in something a little special then this will give you great music in years to come.if you love music it's worth it.if your using a laptop then get the best DAC you can afford.not to sure what you mean about the differences about the atc.do you mean can you get them second hand if so no because when people buy these speakers they keep them because they are good

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Hello guys...

Since I heard Nad amps, I would say you should give more time to B&W 685 s2 and try a different amp.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Well thanx a lot my friends about your answers..

Well i will try b&w with others amps in a store. But my senario is...

First to listen b&w 685 with other amps. If i listen good colours then ok. If the difference is very big with atc..then I will choose an amp thats fits in atc... And will play for a while the b&w with it (for example rega elex r). So i will take first the amp to enjoy something different and after that i will take the atc.

I dont think that b&w have colours.... I take them because for these money have good resolution and image. On the other hand i read about proac studio 118....!atc or proac have better resolution?

Thanx again

Cycleman said:
Well thanx a lot my friends about your answers..

Well i will try b&w with others amps in a store. But my senario is...

First to listen b&w 685 with other amps. If i listen good colours then ok. If the difference is very big with atc..then I will choose an amp thats fits in atc... And will play for a while the b&w with it (for example rega elex r). So i will take first the amp to enjoy something different and after that i will take the atc.

I dont think that b&w have colours.... I take them because for these money have good resolution and image. On the other hand i read about proac studio 118....!atc or proac have better resolution?

Thanx again
ATC, ProAc and also PMC, all have a studio heritage, or at least orientation, and it is almost impossible to describe the differences. Each have several models reviewed on the website here at WHF, and you can google dozens more.

I would not buy anything this expensive without listening first, however.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, I've have/ had several of the components you're discussing.

Firstly the 685s are not in the same league as the SCM11s in any way.

I found the 685s sound fell apart above moderate volumes, the ATCs remain composed up to very high volume. They sound much better at any volume than the 685s, and so they should given price.

I've used them with a Rega Elex-r, a Naim Nait 5si and currently with a Rega Elicit-r. They sound best with the Elicit but sounded great with the Elex and Nait too. The extra power of the Elicit-r gives them a fuller sound, a wider sound stage and bass is more prominent. They still sounded really excellent with the other amps.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If you're not keen on active monitors I'm not sure ATC is the way to go, they too are very honest and flat speakers. Perhaps you should be looking at something like Spendor, Rogers, Tannoy...

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
bluedroog said:
If you're not keen on active monitors I'm not sure ATC is the way to go, they too are very honest and flat speakers. Perhaps you should be looking at something like Spendor, Rogers, Tannoy...

They are indeed very flat and honest, but are also very reflective of the partnering equipment. This imo is what makes them so good. Want a warm sound, pair with a warm amp. Want an analytical sound, then get an amp that gives that.

The 11s give a lot of what I'm told is good about actives, flat honest detail, but also allow for all sorts of tuning to taste.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
True, I run monitors myself and have fun using valve pre-amps etc to tune the sound but I'd still not suggest it as an ideal route given he's not bought them yet.

I think this approach is fine for fine tuning a system but rather than trying to fundamentally trying to chage the flour of the system I'd just go with more suitable speakers from the off and going a bit more neutral up stream.

To get a lively , colured sound I'd rather go for speakers as such with a gutsy neutral solid state amp rathan than dead flat speakers with valves and NOS gear.

Of course both a re valid routes and it is all part of the fun but given OP clearly states he's not after that sound and speakers are the biggest differrence you can make in terms of conponenets it doesn't make sense to me.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Hello guys...

Guess I had a little oveflow of wine. Sorry cant help it.. you need to change nor the speakers or the amp but ... the wife.

Ok a bit more seriousness.. keep the wife and get another amp and speaker. ;)

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
atc is also flat speaker?

which is not flat speaker with colours?!

and tell me some things about active speakers....to know about.But not cold as the yamaha's.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Cycleman said:
nad is a good match with B&W but i think that the 326bee is small for B&W 685. The nad 356bee is the best value for money. On the other hand i find B&W i little bit hard is not like atc smooth and pleasant..

I have an old NAD 7240PE and it has power enough to drive the B&W 685 s2. My livingroom is 4,5m X 7,5m and I can fill the room with ease. No clipping or deformed sounds when played loud.

I also have an TEAC AI 501da which has no problem with filling the room with great sound. Now waiting on my Pro-ject phono stage to connect the TT with the TEAC. (yes I'm over to the dark (vinyl) side...and loving it!)

Edit: Audition as much as you can. In the end it's all about your ears and taste.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
The old nad is not as the new ones in quality sound...i dont think that nad wakes up the speakers.. Is not vivid.... I will try with anothers amp...for start.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts