CES 2016

D

Deleted member 2457

tvspecv said:
what can we expect in the new year ? cheaper oleds or just upgrades from 2015
I think it's fair to say Oleds will keep getting cheaper. Apparently the 2015 models will get cheaper in February too. There is suppose to be no 1080p Oleds too just 4k ones.

D

Deleted member 2457

LG Signature incoming:

http://www.lg.com/global/lgsignature/pc/teaser/teaser1.html

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
strapped for cash said:
I'm not entirely sure what LG is selling here -- televisions, subwoofers, washing machines, deep fat fryers, everything?

Premium premium premium. We're premium. Honest.

Premium.

*biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

I am going to be looking at the cheaper Oleds because of the speaker stands, the cheaper one also has no 3D - good oh!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
tvspecv said:
https://youtu.be/-kYY8puZHWQ

if i was getting a new tv that sony or the samsung SUHD would be one of the two. its basically the 2015 x93c but no huge speakers that nobody needs! big improvement. unlike samsung who made marginal improvements

nugget2014 said:
gel said:

540 nits but dolby vision? completely pointless. dolby vision was meant to be around 3000 or more nits, yet its implemented on a tv with 540? nah. just marketing talk

Not true. The requirement is 100 nits minimum, although more nits would mean better image. Which TV is capable of 3000 nits?

According to Dolby Vision white paper:

"The prototype Dolby Vision HDR reference monitor (capable of up to 4,000 nits luminance) is used to make the color and brightness decisions. The basis of the Dolby Vision grading process is to establish the artistic intent in the HDR grade. The artistic team should use the grading system and the monitors to make the best, most engaging imagery they can, taking full advantage of the dynamic range of the display. After the reference grade is done, the Dolby Vision capable color-grading system will analyze and save the metadata that describes the creative decisions made on the display. The content mapping unit (CMU) maps the content with the metadata to a reference display at a standard brightness (100 nits).

The algorithms developed to enable the CMU to generate the 100-nit grade will also be used in the future to enable live Dolby Vision sport productions and, in parallel, automatically generate the 100 nit version required for compatibility with today’s television receivers. After the trim pass has been approved, the colorist exports the images with metadata. The metadata generated to create the 100-nit grade can be used to render the HDR master on displays, which may offer a wide performance range. A 600-nit TV will look great, a 1200-nit TV will look even better—all referencing the same metadata and HDR reference images."

So a 600-nit TV should be able to support Dolby Vision. LG's signature range is capable of 600 nits.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:

540 nits but dolby vision? completely pointless. dolby vision was meant to be around 3000 or more nits, yet its implemented on a tv with 540? nah. just marketing talk

Not true. The requirement is 100 nits minimum, although more nits would mean better image. Which TV is capable of 3000 nits?

According to Dolby Vision white paper:

"The prototype Dolby Vision HDR reference monitor (capable of up to 4,000 nits luminance) is used to make the color and brightness decisions. The basis of the Dolby Vision grading process is to establish the artistic intent in the HDR grade. The artistic team should use the grading system and the monitors to make the best, most engaging imagery they can, taking full advantage of the dynamic range of the display. After the reference grade is done, the Dolby Vision capable color-grading system will analyze and save the metadata that describes the creative decisions made on the display. The content mapping unit (CMU) maps the content with the metadata to a reference display at a standard brightness (100 nits).

The algorithms developed to enable the CMU to generate the 100-nit grade will also be used in the future to enable live Dolby Vision sport productions and, in parallel, automatically generate the 100 nit version required for compatibility with today’s television receivers. After the trim pass has been approved, the colorist exports the images with metadata. The metadata generated to create the 100-nit grade can be used to render the HDR master on displays, which may offer a wide performance range. A 600-nit TV will look great, a 1200-nit TV will look even better—all referencing the same metadata and HDR reference images."

So a 600-nit TV should be able to support Dolby Vision. LG's signature range is capable of 600 nits.

i see..but cant see how its much difference to non dolby vision HDR, also the new sony is meant to be capable of 4000 nits. i think its bull though. cant see them having 4x the amount of any other tv at ces this year..

Dolby Vision HDR is simply a standard set by Dolby. TV manufacturers will pay Dolby to confirm their TVs meet Dolby Vision standards. It doesn't necessarily mean its better than usual HDR. It's similar to THX certified TVs I think.

nugget2014 said:
the new sony is meant to be capable of 4000 nits. i think its bull though. cant see them having 4x the amount of any other tv at ces this year..

That was just a prototype, not an actual production model.

http://gizmodo.com/sonys-new-tv-tech-is-so-intense-i-cant-even-photograph-1751271335

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts