Centre channel conundrum

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Now, I know the obvious/correct/easy/best solution. I have ordered new floorstanders - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands in Cherry. I currently have a Monitor Audio RSLCR as my centre speaker in walnut. Now, the matching centre speaker by VA is the Maestro Grand - a looker and supposedly superb speaker. Two problems. They retail at £899! They are massive! When I got my current speaker I was told it was massive and ugly - the Maestro is 10cm deeper, not quiteas tall but longer and heavier. So, an alternative is needed. Colour is not an issue as I will play safe and go gloss black (it will match my boxes and screen). Would the Monitor Audio Apex give a lesser performance over the RXLCR? Any other ideas/thoughts?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please please do not mix/match your front three speakers; you've got a fantastic system (and gorgeous fronts on the way).

I'd hate to see you gain in one area (those big fronts) and lose out on your AV experience...

At the very least stick with what you have while saving (and steeling yourself) for that matching centre. You can get used to big centres very quickly - especially when you hear how amazing dialogue/front effects can sound (ie the majority of the movie experience) with a well-matched, high-quality trio of speakers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Please please do not mix/match your front three speakers; you've got a fantastic system (and gorgeous fronts on the way).

I'd hate to see you gain in one area (those big fronts) and lose out on your AV experience...

At the very least stick with what you have while saving (and steeling yourself) for that matching centre. You can get used to big centres very quickly - especially when you hear how amazing dialogue/front effects can sound (ie the majority of the movie experience) with a well-matched, high-quality trio of speakers.

Thanks Clare, although I kind of didnt want to hear that - I expected it!

How would I set my receiver if I took the RSLCR out? I mean for surround soundtracks.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
You can show this post to your other half and at least say that it's not your fault!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Have you considered the Vienna Acoustics Waltz?

http://www.viennaacoustics.at/products/Waltz/waltz.php

Makes a superb centre channel, without the larger dimensions of the Maestro (it's only a few inches deep). Most importantly of course is the fact that it's tonally balanced to the rest of the Concert Grand range. Same drive units, xover, build construction etc... Quite a lot of Vienna customers are taking this as a good alternative.

All the best (and I hope you get on with the Mozarts - they're what I have in my lounge at the moment!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
paul@audyus:
Hi,

Have you considered the Vienna Acoustics Waltz?

http://www.viennaacoustics.at/products/Waltz/waltz.php

Makes a superb centre channel, without the larger dimensions of the Maestro (it's only a few inches deep). Most importantly of course is the fact that it's tonally balanced to the rest of the Concert Grand range. Same drive units, xover, build construction etc... Quite a lot of Vienna customers are taking this as a good alternative.

All the best (and I hope you get on with the Mozarts - they're what I have in my lounge at the moment!)

Thanks Paul, I'd not thought of that as I thought the Waltz were surround speakers. What's the rrp on the Waltz?

My Mozarts are ex demos from VA and are in transit now!!

A

Anonymous

I know those exact speakers very well - they are the pair we took to the Manchester show that got so much interest (myself and our training manager spent 4 HOURS!!! setting them up, but they were really singing by the end of it...)

The Waltz RRP is £650 in Piano Black. I think it is worth giving one a go - quite a few UK retailers are selling the Waltz as a full multi-channel solution - performance wise it is really impressive for such a discrete profile. Let me know if you need any help getting a loan unit - I can always point you at a store who'll be happy to help.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
paul@audyus:
I know those exact speakers very well - they are the pair we took to the Manchester show that got so much interest (myself and our training manager spent 4 HOURS!!! setting them up, but they were really singing by the end of it...)

The Waltz RRP is £650 in Piano Black. I think it is worth giving one a go - quite a few UK retailers are selling the Waltz as a full multi-channel solution - performance wise it is really impressive for such a discrete profile. Let me know if you need any help getting a loan unit - I can always point you at a store who'll be happy to help.

I hope you took good care of them!!

Thanks, I've emailed Fanthorpes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts