Ceiling Speaker Help - Monitor Audio - CT165 vs CP CT150

LondonListener

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'm currently doing some work to my house and plan to install ceiling speakers. I'm having a hard time deciding upon which speaker to go for.

The speakers are going to be used for background listening around the house, the source will be a lossless format.

I am torn between the CT165's http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/trimless-100/ct165/#/overview

and the CP CT150's - http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/cp-series/cp-ct150/

There aren't any review of ceiling speakers so it is hard to judge. I'm sure both will be adequate for the job at hand but I do have a small concern about sound leakage from the CT165's (no insulation between floors - the best I can do is buy a speaker cover "Hoody" which should reduce this a bit).

CP CT150 is a closed system so it will have less sound leakage, but, doing some searches I can't find any comments on this.

Has anyone got experience of either of these two speakers - who can comment on the sound leakage of the CT165's or performance/quality of either speaker?

Many thanks

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My journey with in-walls started with a pair of Polk RC65's for rear duties in my bonus room cinema setup, they were easy to install and do their job without issue.

I recently renovated the basement and took the plunge and decided to go in-wall/in-ceiling ( thinking I could change to traditional speakers for the fronts if they didn't perform. I installed RC65's for the fronts and Yamaha NSIW280CW in-ceilings for the rear. I have these hooked up to a Sony 1040 and I have no complaints, I'm more impressed with the music from the Sonos/Sony setup. Sound does transfer up from the basement (thru 3/4" ply and laminate), but tends to be the lower frequencies, this isn't an issue for me, but if you have concerns I'd lay a piece of insulation over top when installing.

Can't comment on the MA's, but I have no issue reccomending the budget Polks and Yammys.

I do have a traditional center speaker, but would be tempted to go in-wall for that too next time.

I'd say a sub is a must to give you the extra depth. :grin:

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Good call, if you're still concerned about sound leakage I'd be tempted to go to B&Q and pick up a pack of loft insulation first.
When you come to install them you can simply bung it thru the cut out before you slot your speakers in.
Think you'll be impressed with the sound you get out of them though :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts