Home Theatre Room Blues

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well. It started out as a good idea.

1. Replace the builder-installed 16-guage speaker wire with 12-gauge.

2. Fit two new left and right surround sound speakers inside (I don't know what they're called but they're bits of wall that stick out a few inches from the side walls kind of like columns) column-things;

3. Move the two backs down a couple of feet;

4. Put plywood boxes over the in-ceilings to stop them filling up with attic insulation and to reflect more sound back down into the room.

5. While I'm at it box in the in-walls as well.

6. Remove the overhead speaker wires from the conduit installed for the projector (later) HDMI cable, and put them through a conduit of their own (with the sides and backs that makes 10 speaker wires, about 300 feet of cable in the attic).

I've got more holes in my plasterboard than if I'd let loose with a semi-automatic 12-bore, the 54-inch long auger drill I was trying to use to drill through studs without having to cut more holes in the plasterboard developed a mind of its own, drilled three unwanted holes into adjoining rooms (easy fix). Somehow I even managed to drill one through the roof!.

Getting to the attic space over the media room requires climbing over an air conditioning unit. I've manage to break one of the straps hanging that off the attic rafters (easy fix).

The attic insulation is on the ceiling plasterboard, with no insulation under the sloping bits of the roof. This is Texas and it's May already, outside temperatures hitting the 90s already, so the attic space is probably 110 Fahrenheit. So I can only stand to work up there for 10 to 15 minutes in an hour.

And now I've added two more jobs to the list - put more attic insulation over the media room to stop it getting so hot, and to put proper fireproofing board and pink foam insulation on the wall between the media room and the separate attic space where the water heaters (we've got three) sit. Right now that "wall" is just some kind of thick paper or card. If a water heater (gas fired) goes up it'll take the whole house with it.

And my wife is suggesting I try doing this for a living!!!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Fixer Upper is a tv show based in Waco Texas where they do up properties

I thought you would know it and so get the joke as you said your based in Texas

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A fee paying university ( quite a good one according to her) in Wacky Waco.
She can't bang a nail in a wall.
Anyway, I got the final cable runs done (including one spare - a good idea for anyone doing this) and finished patching the plasterboard yesterday.
Now all I have to do is sand, apply the wall texture and paint.
Oh joy.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Apart from builders' shortcomings, the media room, the swimming pool and some home automation, not a lot to do really....

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10915-Mayberry-Heights-Dr-Cypress-TX-77433/2101914568_zpid/

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Apart from builders' shortcomings, the media room, the swimming pool and some home automation, not a lot to do really....

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10915-Mayberry-Heights-Dr-Cypress-TX-7...

You must be so cramped for space - does media room mean the same as the home theatre room?

Less than £1/2M for that house! My flat is a fifth the size and cost me twice as much in London, AND you get the likes of ARC and Bryston gear for a fraction of what we pay in the UK. The flip side is I guess that you live under the constant threat of being shot and that you will soon have Donald Trump for a president. Still, given the choice...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The choice of POTUS is the last of our worries.

The Home Owners Association is far more scarey - like being fined if we park in the street at night...

And don't kid yourself. This is a huge SHED. Four bricks (I counted them - they hold up the gas fire) in the whole place. The rest is wood and stucco. Good for 50 years or one tornado.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Wants a new couch and some side tables, but otherwise "I didn't know it would be this good" and " we don't need to go to the movies any more".
Then she fell asleep on the couch..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That's a stunning gaff.

Love the entrance and Disney land castle circular tower section.

Plenty of curb appeal as they say on my favourite show.
Loving it when can we visit ???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts