Ceiling Mounted Surround Speakers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with ceiling mounted speakers?

I'm going to be upgrading everything in the not-too distant future, big TV, blu-ray, amp, speakers and I have provisional approval from SWMBO to re-arrange the lounge into a sensible layout (ie lengthwise down the room rather than sitting across the room, subject to new carpets, sofas, hoover, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, errr, oh, yes, car... did I say soon? I meant by the time I'm dead...).

One thing she doesn't like the idea of however is the surround speakers on the wall above the listening position (I can't put them on stands because one of them will be right in front of the door and brackets will be awkward because we have cob-stone walls, which are difficult to mount anything in), so as a compromise I suggested ceiling mounted speakers, but I know very little about them.

So I was wondering if anyone is currently using them and if so, what, and how well do they integrate with the other speakers? I'm only going to be using ceiling-mounters for the surrounds; the fronts, centre and rear speakers will all be traditional speakers, but that leaves you open to tonal mismatches between the surrounds and the rest of the speakers or some sh**, I don't know...

eg, KEF do something like the Ci130DS bi/dipole wall/ceiling mounter, but are they any good and how well would they integrate with speakers in KEFs other ranges, like the iQs or whatever they're called?

Also what the recommended positioning for a ceiling speaker like this? as close as possible to the posiition on the wall where they would have been mounted or are there other things to consider given that the speaker is actually firing downwards, rather than sideways?

sorry for all the questions but I want to get this right, as it's going to have to last a good few years.

A

Anonymous

I've got multiple sets of B&W CCM65 and they sound great. I don't use them as surrounds but I reckon they'd be great for that too.

I would've considered them but the room above will be a childrens room and the sound travel upwards is an issue although it can be dealt with to an extent.

R

A

Anonymous

hi, i dont know about ceiling speakers, but i had problems on wallmounting my speakers as i have a window on one side and speaker stands were no good as my electric cupboard is behind the plasma and i dont want to keep moving the stands about. so i got a length of angle-iron and screwed that to the vesa holes in the back of the tv and then screwed my quad l-ites to the angle-iron. it looks great.the speaker wire is hidden and it is secure
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS