CDX8 or Rega Apollo??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gander:

If i could pick up a CDX8 for the same price or a little more than an apollo, would you say go for the CDX?

Thanks in advance

Yes

A

Anonymous

Yes. The CD8x is better than the Rega Apollo. You must bear in mind that the CD8x was a £1000.00 kit compared to the Apollo at £600.00, so if you are able to get one now at the Rega's price, then you should seriously consider it.

I had one infact, but I sold it as it sounded too lean on my system. The Rega Apollo fits in very well now, aesthetically and musically, and does the job splendidly for me,

Make sure the rest of your system is cohesive with the CD8x though. With Cyrus, the right pairing is vital for maximum benefit.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Gander:

If i could pick up a CDX8 for the same price or a little more than an apollo, would you say go for the CDX?

Thanks in advance

Yes

Agreed. The 8x also offers an upgrade path as and when funds permit. You can upgrade the 8x in 2 ways; either with the edition of an offboard PSX-R power supply and/or factory upgrade to the CCD8 SE.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your quick replies gents.

Now this may be sacrilege but am going to be running it through an AV amp, most probably an Onkyo 875 (i may consider incorporating a dedicated amp when the initially sting of spending out on the whole AV set up in one go has subsided!). What would be your thoughts on the partnering of these two CD players with this amp?

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Depends on what amp, speakers and room you have. The Apollo is very good and a safe bet but if the timbre of the 8X works for you then go for it.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to jump in on your post Gander.

I too am considering a cyrus (discounted CD6s though) but it seems like cyrus tends to be very dynamic but perhaps a bit fatiguing over extended listening type of sound? That's the impression I'm picking up from this and other posts.

A

Anonymous

When i auditioned the Apollo it was hooked up through an onkyo 805 and played over the Rega r5's. It sounded awesome but pretty fatigung. I have no idea whether it was the amp, cd player or the speakers!! I loved the sound of the speakers but cant stand the fatigue.

Its all a little confusing / frustrating.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gander:

When i auditioned the Apollo it was hooked up through an onkyo 805 and played over the Rega r5's. It sounded awesome but pretty fatigung. I have no idea whether it was the amp, cd player or the speakers!! I loved the sound of the speakers but cant stand the fatigue.

Its all a little confusing / frustrating.

Probably a combination of the Receiver and the Regas, certainly not the apollo. R5, as good as they are, are fast, explicit and tight sounding speakers. Good tweeter but any problems with high frequencies/harshness elsewhere will show. If you dont like the sound with the apollo you probably won't like it with the cyrus. However, a system comprising the 8vs2 with the 8 player and rega speakers sounds fantastic imo.

A

Anonymous

I would love to stick with the rega's if i could as i loved the detail they brought out in the music and movies and so did the Mrs (plus i like the fact they are made in the UK). The problems on the high frequencies did show hugely (oasis CD), but listening to a leftfield CD was wonderful (although maybe still a little too expressive on the highs). Are the R7's more forgiving drummerman? I dont mind splashing out if i get that tight detailed sound with much less fatigue.

Could anyone make a recommendation for ways around the fatiguing? What AV amp would be better than the Onkyo 875 with the rega speakers and CD? (although i auditioned them with the onk 805)

Are there any other speakers that are similar in sound / detail to the regas but are a little more forgiving?

Thank you again, all of your responses are a great help to this complete novice.

ps: i wasnt that bothered by the music side of things when i set out to buy all this, but now i feel that the better musicality of the system is having a much bigger influence than i first thought it would (especially after hearing the rega r5's). I guess the over all importance is 50/50. Sorry if this should really be posted in the home cinema section. Oh and all this has to go in a relatively hard furnished room which will no doubt have a huge impact also!! Grrrrrr.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A confused man. You need the help of a good dealer. Have a listen to a few different amps/players/speakers and when you ease into the music and forget about the electronics you're halfway there. Then you have to find matching centre/rear speakers, perhaps a sub and a AV amp thats as good as the stereo one you liked so much at the audition ... and you're three quarters there. Then you have to go home and explain why you need to spend thousands on boxes. If she agrees ... then you're there. Have fun.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I think i need 5 minutes in the quiet room breathing into a paper bag.......

A

Anonymous

It might also be worth considering to buy both a stereo amp and an av amp, letting the stereo amp run both of your front speakers and let the av amp handle the rest, when you're playing a dvd/bluray. (connecting the stereo amp to the pre-outs of your av amp)
Set a budget, and devide between av amp and stereo amp in a ratio that you think gives you the best of both worlds.

A

Anonymous

That was something that had entered my mind but thought it would completely blow my budget, especially as you can now get an onkyo 875 for 600 notes.

Im guessing in that case that the only influence on the speakers when playing stereo would be the amp as you would just run the av straight through to it?

Thanks solomon!

A

Anonymous

Gander:
Im guessing in that case that the only influence on the speakers when playing stereo would be the amp as you would just run the av straight through to it?

Yep, that's the idea. It has the benefit of using a dedicated stereo amp for the front two speakers.

If you're on a budget, you might want to get some components from ebay; the cyrus for instance.
First audition to make sure what you're looking for. Then buy the cd-player from your dealer to keep everyone happy.
At the mo there's a cyrus vs8 for 310 with 20 hours to go- item number: 190239197958

A

Anonymous

Im assuming thats offered as a alternative to the onkyo the matthew?

Thanks again soloman1

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
When I heard the Apollo, through Naim 5i and AVI Neutron IV/Epos m12.2 both sounded good but it didn't make we want to upgrade my CD/amp - and although I thought the AVIs sounded wonderful I then plumped for Dali Ikon 6 which I'm extremely happy with. The Apollo is no better than what I have, indeed it's almost certainly worse.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

The Arcam CD192 BETTER be better at £900.00 compared to the Rega Apollo at £600.00, or what's the point? Up to a price range of £600.00, the Rega Apollo is undoubtedly the best buy (WHF).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:The Arcam CD192 BETTER be better at £900.00 compared to the Rega Apollo at £600.00, or what's the point?

ÿ

A couple of years of R&D on the 192, but at the time I had a 92 and this was far better too for my tastes. Auditioned with Moby Play, Massive Attack pendulum amongst others.

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

how big is the room you are running the ikons in?

Im goign to be auditioning those speakers too at a store that also stocks rega.

A

Anonymous

And by reading your other posts re floor standers, they sound great in your space.

My room is 4.4 x 5.1m and the Dali package is on my list.

Looking forward to hearing them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts