CDs sound demonstrably better than vinyl

A

Anonymous

Oh come on, what's to discuss? It's an obvious answer...

Dark chocolate...

A

Anonymous

Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote]
That it might be a CD? Have I misunderstood? You're having a laugh...?

John Duncan

[quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote]

Brotherhood of Man on vinyl sounds better than Oasis on CD, but that's another matter.

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine uses a Well Tempered referance turntable, Dynavector pre and power amps and Shahinian speakers and I have to say I aint heard a CD based system that sounds anything like it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote]

Brotherhood of Man on vinyl sounds better than Oasis on CD, but that's another matter.[/quote]
Presumably you're referring to a fluffy, dirty, scratched Brotherhood of Man record there...

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote]

Brotherhood of Man on vinyl sounds better than Oasis on CD, but that's another matter.[/quote]
Presumably you're referring to a fluffy, dirty, scratched Brotherhood of Man record there...[/quote]

Surface noise disappears on a top-end turntable..........

A

Anonymous

The day I get more room to place my hifi is the day I put the CDP in the skip and get my Revox tt out. My house is on the market if anyone's interested? Lovely Lincs location...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]The day I get more room to place my hifi is the day I put the CDP in the skip[/quote]

Um... yeah, I agree. Let me know where that skip is though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Prior to a possibly imminent turntable upgrade, I would have to say my current NAD 533 runs my Arcam 92/Chord 64 DAC pretty close. Especially when the vinyl's in very good condition. Just done an A/B test using The Shins' Wincing The Night Away on both vinyl and CD and also Steely Dan's Gaucho on both formats. The Shins vinyl won out and it was a narrow margin of victory for CD in the Steely Dan semi-vinyl, sorry semi--final. So it's the Gaucho remaster versus Wincing. . .on vinyl in the big final showdown. More (or quite possibly less) later.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, but since the theoretical signal to noise of CD is better than 100dB and the best you're ever likely to get from LP is about 50dB, there's no possible option but to assume that LP blows the socks off CD every time. Or am I missing something?
Ah yes, I'm missing my Sondek, I must go and remind it that I love it...
Sad? Yes. But also somehow sweet.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote] That it might be a CD? Have I misunderstood? You're having a laugh...?[/quote]

that cd's sound better than vinyl.the cd's i mentioned sound bloody awful. I love oasis' what's the story but can only listen to it on headphones as it sounds so duff.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Fraziel"]Put on an oasis cd or virtually any cd released prior to 1990 and i think you would not even suggest that it might be.[/quote]

My rear end after 4 days of vindaloo, copious lager and bar olives sounds better than oasis on CD.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jimwall"]Sorry, but since the theoretical signal to noise of CD is better than 100dB and the best you're ever likely to get from LP is about 50dB, there's no possible option but to assume that LP blows the socks off CD every time. Or am I missing something?
Ah yes, I'm missing my Sondek, I must go and remind it that I love it...
Sad? Yes. But also somehow sweet.[/quote]

While I'd agree a properly mastered CD (by a band with talent) on a CD player that cost X quid will sound better than an LP of the same music played on a turntable that cost X quid...

But you are missing something. See what happens to a square wave on a CD. Moreover, CD's are incapable of storing more than 22050 hz and when you try and store a frequency that is higher, you get aliasing, something that doesn't exist on an analogue format. Also, CD's tend to have a lot more compression in the recording, to make full use of the CD's bit depth which doesn't reduce the 'quality' of the music, per say, but IMO too much compression in an audio track just makes the music 'worse' from a artistic appreciation viewpoint. It becomes a wall of sound, rather than something with depth and extra intricacies and details that a decent hifi allows you to enjoy. LP's also use compression I might add.

CD sounds better IMO, but both formats have drawbacks to their sound (rumble and scratch filters, LMAO) but, importantly, they are *different* drawbacks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
Horrendous quality MP3 (i'm talking less than 128 kbs here people!) sounds better than Oasis CD. Discuss...

[/quote]

The mute button is entirely preferable to any Oasis CD - horrid, derivative whiny stuff with nary an original idea in evidence.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]The mute button is entirely preferable to any Oasis CD - horrid, derivative whiny stuff with nary an original idea in evidence.ÿ[/quote]

Oh Andrew, I'm almost feeling sorry for the Burnage twins now. Their first two albums were cocky mainstream blasts of mildy diverting sludge or hollow anthems for a doomed generation. Take your pick. Then again from Be Here Now and beyond it truly became conceited, reductive effluent. Although Noel's Coldplay-baiting interviews always make for good copy.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Their first two albums were cocky mainstream blasts of mildy diverting sludge or hollow anthems for a doomed generation. Take your pick. Then again from Be Here Now and beyond it truly became conceited, reductive effluent.[/quote]

I miss those music reviews Tim Bowern used to write before he took the PR shilling...

John Duncan

So anyway. Despite the fact that I was being devil's advocate (based on comments in another thread) for comic effect........

The best sound I have *personally* heard is from a CD system, but that had an eight grand pair of speakers on the end of it. My vinyl and CD systems sound pretty much the same (primarily because I am amplificatorily challenged at the mo), apart from the inherent disadvantages of vinyl (I have some pretty ropey records, no matter how much I clean them with my Knosti Disco Antistat©), and currently my 'table is not set up to perform its best (not enough isolation, I could feel it throbbing to the beat last night, so to speak).

But its biggest advantage to my mind is that I now have 500+ *more* LPs to play, since I don't have them on CD..........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]So anyway. Despite the fact that I was being devil's advocate (based on comments in another thread) for comic effect........[/quote]

emotion-14.gif
's , you say???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts