CD6002, PM6002 & What?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All I am really interested in the CD6002 and the PM6002 combo, especially as you can now get them for £200 each from Richer Sounds! Although I need help in deciding what speakers to put with them. I listen to house/dance music, the system will be in my lounge which has laminate flooring, and because I live in an apartment block I don't want anything too boomy! I prefer the look of floorstanders but they could be too boomy, would some standmounts produce a tighter less boomy bass? Budget is about £400 or so for speakers! Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Standmounts such as B&W's Award-winning 685 (£379) would work a treat with the Marantz combo, and certainly wouldn't be too boomy. You'd need to budget a bit extra for some good stands though.

If you want floorstanders, consider the Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 (£400) or KEF IQ5SE (£400).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't help thinking Mordaunt-Short - 906is, at £200/pr. would work very nicely indeed, and the 914is, at £250/pr, or 916is, at £350/pr, would be even better. Forget standmounts and think BIG!

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Wouldnt Marantz - Mordaunt Short be a little too bright combination ? I would go with B&W 685 or even better Dynaudio 42.

Neeraj

A

Anonymous

[quote user="carl62"]
....system will be in my lounge which has laminate flooring, and because I live in an apartment block I don't want anything too boomy!
I prefer the look of floorstanders but they could be too boomy, would some standmounts produce a tighter less boomy bass?
Budget is about £400
[/quote]

Hi Carl,

How big is your lounge in your apartment? Would be the first question I'd ask.

Floorstanders usually need a little more space to breath and to minimise the boominess.

If you would prefer Floorstanders I understand (haven't tried them myself) the Kef IQ5SE's are easy to place. (£400)

I did demo the the B&W 685 against a pair of Epos M12.2.

If is's clarity and less Bass you want in your current environment the Epos could be a good option.

As Epos are bringing out the Mi Series at the moment, you should be able to find them at a good price as stores are getting rid of existing Epos stock.

SuperFi did have them at £349 (£100 off ), I'm sure you could find something similar if you shopped around.

AS ALWAYS HAVE A LISTEN FIRST.

Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

I would def steer clear of bright speakers like the Mordaunt's and MA BR2's - to my ears sound way too harsh with the amp. Go for the B&W 685s if you want standmounts with some stands off ebay.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree as well.

Go for the B&W 685's but makre sure that you audition them first, preferably with the same amp and CDP AND, if you can, make sure that the speakers you listen to are well run in as i mentioned in a post before. The running in of the speakers makes hell of alot of difference at the audition!

You could also take a look at 2nd hand speakers on Ebay. There are always good examples of B&W 602 S2 and S3 speakers on there which are brilliant for dance music but still have well controlled deep bass, smooth and detailed midrange and crisp treble.

A

Anonymous

I did demo the CD6002 and PM 002 with the B&W 685, I found them a bit sluggish, you really had to crank the volume up to get decent response. The Epo's M12.2 were a lot more responsive with great clarity and would have been my prefered choice, however I say add the MA RS1 or BR5 to your shopping list.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts