CD with AV amp

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello folks.

Can someone offer some assistance, i am sure this topic has been discussed before? I am currently using the blu ray to play CDs through a Yamaha RX-673 AV receiver and the sound i think is not that good. How can / do i connect a dedicated CD player and a stereo amp to the av amp so it utilises the Monitor Audio silvers connected to the AV receiver and preferably by passing the receivers circuitry. In other wods the AV amp will only be used as a connection through to the speakers.

Any assistance or advice is gratefully accepted !!

Many Thanks

Martin

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Try using the "pure direct" option. This bypasses all the AV circuits and does make a difference.

Unfortunately having no pre-outs other than for sub, you can't utilise a stereo amp in the same system.

However!

I have the earlier model (667) and in comparison with a £1400 Lyngdorf amp driving Dali Ikon 6 speakers (in stereo), I found the difference to be small...and didn't bother utilising the pre-outs that the 667 has, even though I had a spare Arcam amp.

I think the Yamaha receivers are extremely competent at stereo only playback and unless you are thinking of spending a fortune on a 2-channel amp, then I think you'd struggle to gain much improvement.

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, in your opinion and considering the costs involved would a dedicated CD player connected to the AV amp and using pure/direct be an improvement on the current blu-ray set up? As it's a Yamaha AV RX-673 receiver could you recommend any CD players?

Thanks again

Martin

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a dedicated CD player you may need to adjust your 673's set up though.

If you are conected via HDMI between amp and player it may be worth getting a digital coax to connect from your player to the amp (output in PCM or Dolby digital), if your player has multi channel outputs you could try those to if you want all speakers utalised, if you want dedicated stereo it may be worth turning off the centre/rear channels on the amp and turning the output levels in set up to max for left and right channels with LFE to MAIN.

Pure Direct was not very good imo and outputs lower than when the amp is played in 'unpure mode'

I play stereo via a Yamaha dsp ax-620 its excellent in stereo ( its the great grand pappy of your 673)

I also have a Yamaha rx-1020 which uses the 'pure direct' system but to my ears did not sound as good as the old amp.

Look at your manuals with regards set up.

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It seems quite complicated? I also want to use my receiver for blu ray so dont want to make adjustments for cd then for Blu ray. i basically just want to select blu ray or cd on the receiver and enjoy it

Martin

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Marantz CD6005 or Cambridge Audio 351C are both decent budget CD players that might be worth a listen to see if you get the benefit in sound you are after.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Beefheart said:
It seems quite complicated? I also want to use my receiver for blu ray so dont want to make adjustments for cd then for Blu ray. i basically just want to select blu ray or cd on the receiver and enjoy it

Martin

Beefheart I hear you but you need to roll your sleeves up and tinker a little - you will reap the benifits and will be able to just listen and enjoy once done.

Your amp has multiple inputs that can be assigned, - your player has multiple outputs and will most likly dual output, it sounds more complicated than it is, but your amp is a capable stereo amp - have you tried steping through the DSP modes or running the amp 'straight' - effects off. (not pure direct).

You do not need a dedicated CD player - you have every thing you need you just need to get behind your kit and tinker a little.

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, i am reasonably coversant with the amp but did not really know if the sound would be improved much by using the audio analogue outs or co-ax from the blu ray to the av amp and re-assigning an input on the amp for this, by doing this would there be much improvement over the current HDMI connection do you think? I have tried straight and pure direct with the current set up, maybe i am expecting too much??

i appreciate your help and always willing to try recommendations

Martin

T

the record spot

I bi-amp my Onkyo TX-NR818 to my Tannoys and for music either set to Pure Audio or Direct. Both work very well. Bi-amping made a noticeable difference for me though. Worth a shot maybe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts