CD v Analogue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I think we all need to be a little careful when comparing digital with analogue. It's easy to hype one format and knock the other, but the truth is a bit more fundamental: Personally I try to keep a balance between the two purely because they both have strengths and weakenesses.

I have a healthy vinyl collection, matched equally by CDs. Allied to that thought process, as an avid radio listener, I get equal pleasure from my FM tuner as I do from Freeview but, as with CD/vinyl, they have their own distinct pros and cons.

All-in-all, I just love music and my current set-up, and try to embrace all formats.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As CD players matured & sounded pretty good I was glad to see the back of vinyl, even better was the advent of .flac streaming, I can appreciate that some feel that the rituals of playing vinyl add to their enjoyment but for me it's just the opposite - Streaming has enabled me to listen to CD's that I rarely delved into the back of my CD collection to find, I'm listening to far more music than I ever have & enjoying each & every minute & when I'm at home that just about all the time bar for the small amount I watch TV, glad to see the back of CD now also.

If you like the ritual of record playing that's fine but a fair amount of the ritual isn't listening to music & that's what I enjoy - I enjoy faffing with British motorcycles, I spend far more time finding parts, refastening parts that continually vibrate lose, having sprockets made, de-carbin etc, etc. it's enjoyable but it's not motorcycle riding & that's why as I'm getting older I'm spending more time riding my shaft drive Kawasaki while I still can get around, it rarely goes wrong so apart from cleaning it's all riding & I'm beginning to realise riding is more enjoyable than kneeling in my garage fixing up my BSA A10 - I do get more admiring looks on the A10 though & the nostalgia from those who had chairs on one with a family decades ago but it’s one hour riding & 5 fixing.... With the Arthur in my knees the BSA will soon go the same way as vinyl & CD went & for much the same reason.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I think we all need to be a little careful when comparing digital with analogue. It's easy to hype one format and knock the other, but the truth is a bit more fundamental: Personally I try to keep a balance between the two purely because they both have strengths and weakenesses.

Amen to that, though I find the attraction of vinyl mostly psychological rather than qualitative, like the big cover art and the physical act of putting on a record and watching it play.

In fact I think psychology has a big part to play. When I first started buying CDs in 1987, I initially struggled with the concept of only owning an album on a reflective silver disc. A part of me felt unfufilled, bit like when someone throws away the last few mouthfuls of your mug of tea. It's like I didn't really own the album unless I had it on LP.

Then without me consciously noticing, it slowly reversed. In 1991 I bought the then-new Queen's Greatest Hits II on vinyl. The vinyl was thin and noisy, one side of the second LP was pressed slightly off centre and I was like "why the hell have I bought this on vinyl when I could have bought it on CD". And two weeks later I did just that.

Major's two posts above are two of the most thoughtful and relevant I've read for a long time. Thank you!

I think I am agreeing if I say it is the triumph over adversity that playing an LP represents that makes a good outcome so rewarding. Even if a download knocks it flying for outright sound quality. Ultimately, I can only cling to my belief that record distorions are inherently more musical than digital ones, or that the failings are somehow more tolerable to the human ear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts