CD transport

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:
grazie said:
Brilliant set of links, cheers. I'm very tempted to send some cash in Armonia Hifi's direction.

Really I gone off the idea of a new cd player, next I will probably buy a BD player.

Have you considered the possibility of moving to computer based music?

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly,

So will an unmodified Sonos Connect...

Quite right, poor phrasing on my part.

I is my opinion, based on experience, that some dacs react badly to noisy transports, otherwise decent dacs sounding harsh and grainy with the 'wrong' transport.

The Connect is easily set to output bit perfect data, but it also outputs substantial jitter and out of band noise, competent Dacs should deal with the jitter without a problem and probably with the noise too but what I have heard suggests that some Dacs are less competent in this area than others.

How does the AVI DAC in the ADMs cope? Do AVI themselves have anything to say on the matter?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Woot! Woot!

arcam-sonlink-small-1.jpg

For a moment I thought you had written Woof, Woof.

The thought that we might have similar views on a product did cause concern, if only for a moment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:
grazie said:
Brilliant set of links, cheers. I'm very tempted to send some cash in Armonia Hifi's direction.

Really I gone off the idea of a new cd player, next I will probably buy a BD player.

Have you considered the possibility of moving to computer based music?

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly,

So will an unmodified Sonos Connect...

Quite right, poor phrasing on my part.

I is my opinion, based on experience, that some dacs react badly to noisy transports, otherwise decent dacs sounding harsh and grainy with the 'wrong' transport.

The Connect is easily set to output bit perfect data, but it also outputs substantial jitter and out of band noise, competent Dacs should deal with the jitter without a problem and probably with the noise too but what I have heard suggests that some Dacs are less competent in this area than others.

How does the AVI DAC in the ADMs cope? Do AVI themselves have anything to say on the matter?

No idea.

I am sure others will have a view.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
There are owners using AEX and Sonos units without any reported issues. I don't know of any issues personally and have not been made aware of any either.

I just take the optical out from the Mac mini though and have not yet tried the AEX, as it's tied up as a network extender and print server.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
A Pioneer stable platter off ebay - about £50. Mine brings up the track information within about one second of the tray closing and reads scratched discs better than anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts