CD transport

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the MF.

Do I need to spend that much? Well that is why I need to try a few to test the difference between a decent transport and my old Marantz 63SE cd player and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. It will be going into a DAC either a Rega or Cyrus/Musical Fid. or into an AVI AMD9RSS.

I believe my dealer has both the Cyrus and Musical Fid in stock.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I will be trying the Rega anyway, their whole system, just wanted a few ideas for transport only as the integrated player has a dac in it so seems a bit of a waste of money having 2 dacs in the system.

Prob. start with Marantz 6004cd, Rega Amp, Rega RS1 speakers. Then add a Rega DAC, then change cd to Rega.

I see my dealer does not do Cyrus but they have MF.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What about one of these Little dot transports from china , they use a good Philips mech and seem well built at £224 including postage .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Dot-CDP-I-CDP-1-CDP1-CD-Transport-with-Remote-Control-digital-display-/180729428720?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14503af0

if you scroll down to the pictures there is a de-constructed one to look at .

They have some good feedback from users on other forums so it might be worth investigating :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
What about one of these Little dot transports from china , they use a good Philips mech and seem well built at £224 including postage .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Dot-CDP-I-CDP-1-CDP1-CD-Transport-with-Remote-Control-digital-display-/180729428720?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14503af0

if you scroll down to the pictures there is a de-constructed one to look at .

They have some good feedback from users on other forums so it might be worth investigating :)

I was looking at Little Dot yesterday but problem is you can't hear them first and if it goes wrong you have to send it back to China I believe?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is the down side of these Chinese products .

Failing that I would recommend any transport or cd player that uses the Philips CD pro 2 mechanism, it is one of the best and most reliable transport mechanisms ever made .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
Yes that is the down side of these Chinese products .

Failing that I would recommend any transport or cd player that uses the Philips CD pro 2 mechanism, it is one of the best and most reliable transport mechanisms ever made .

But was that not the problem Cyrus had with their cd transport a few years ago?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No the Philips Cd pro 2 is a top loading mechanism and as far as I know has never been used by Cyrus .

It is usually found in very good quality transports and cd players and commercial players found in recording studio's and even the commercial juke box machines found in pubs etc because it is so reliable and strong .

http://www.armoniahifi.com/EN/CD1.html

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Philips_cdm12_cdm-Pro/

The Musical fidelity A1 cd pro uses this mech .

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/189-musical-fidelity-a1-cd.html

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
No the Philips Cd pro 2 is a top loading mechanism and as far as I know has never been used by Cyrus .

It is usually found in very good quality transports and cd players and commercial players found in recording studio's and even the commercial juke box machines found in pubs etc because it is so reliable and strong .

http://www.armoniahifi.com/EN/CD1.html

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Philips_cdm12_cdm-Pro/

The Musical fidelity A1 cd pro uses this mech .

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/189-musical-fidelity-a1-cd.html

OK thanks for explaining, I will be checking out MF, does the Rega use the same Philips?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think Rega use Sanyo and Sony mechanisms , as far as I know they have not used the Philips Cd pro .

Here is a list of most manufacturers and which transport mech's they use .

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Thanks for the MF.

Do I need to spend that much? Well that is why I need to try a few to test the difference between a decent transport and my old Marantz 63SE cd player and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. It will be going into a DAC either a Rega or Cyrus/Musical Fid. or into an AVI AMD9RSS.

I believe my dealer has both the Cyrus and Musical Fid in stock.

If you notice a significant imrovement then i would suggest buying a better 2nd hand version of the cyrus transport. You should be able to pick up a good 2nd hand Cyrus CD XT SE 2 (their top CD transport) for that type of money

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
I would like to demo some cd transports but don't know many apart from the Cyrus 6SE2, can you suggest any others upto about £800.

The CD6SE2 isn't a transport, it's a full player. The CD T is Cyrus's entry-level transport, in your budget; the CDXTSE2 as already mentioned is the much more expensive version, takes external power supply as optional.

Musical Fidelity M1 CDT is around the same price if not slightly less. You'd have to audition to establish any SQ differences, especially with your own dac.

Heed do a CD transport but I think it's north of £1k. Little Dot as mentioned are much cheaper and lots of user reviews if you google.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
grazie said:
Brilliant set of links, cheers. I'm very tempted to send some cash in Armonia Hifi's direction.

Really I gone off the idea of a new cd player, next I will probably buy a BD player.

Have you considered the possibility of moving to computer based music?

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly, add a NAS drive and a cheap usb optical disc reader, probably cost under a grand.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
grazie said:
Brilliant set of links, cheers. I'm very tempted to send some cash in Armonia Hifi's direction.

Really I gone off the idea of a new cd player, next I will probably buy a BD player.

Why bother with any disc format for music? Just get an Apple TV and stream wirelessly from your computer or a NAS or iDevice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
grazie said:

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly, add a NAS drive and a cheap usb optical disc reader, probably cost under a grand.

Yes I'm considering it also.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
grazie said:

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly,

So will an unmodified Sonos Connect...

John Duncan

Woot! Woot!

arcam-sonlink-small-1.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:
grazie said:

A Sonus connect with the Cullen/W4S mods will drive ADMs directly,

So will an unmodified Sonos Connect...

Quite right, poor phrasing on my part.

I is my opinion, based on experience, that some dacs react badly to noisy transports, otherwise decent dacs sounding harsh and grainy with the 'wrong' transport.

The Connect is easily set to output bit perfect data, but it also outputs substantial jitter and out of band noise, competent Dacs should deal with the jitter without a problem and probably with the noise too but what I have heard suggests that some Dacs are less competent in this area than others.

I have similar issues with my AEX, a well regarded dac from a british manufacturer sounded quite poor and substantially worse than the AEXs onboard processor yet my sub £30 Fiio sounds similar (same chipset I believe) and seems to provide better drive to my active monitors along with extra functionality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts