CD/SACD player to match Marantz Sa-KI Pearl Lite integrated amp???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there,

I've recently bought a Sa-Ki Pearl Lite integrated amp alongside a pair of B&W 685s, and am wondering:

a)whether my 20 year-old Marantz CD player (I don't have the model to hand, but it was around £300 in 1992) will cut the mustard, or whether I definitely need a new player per se, and

b) in the event of buying a new player, I'd like SACD functionality available to me over the coming decade. I'm checking out the Pearl Lite SACD/CD player. Should I consider pairing my amp and speakers with a different make, or will I get the best possible bang for my buck by sticking with Marantz? If the latter, do I need to fork out for the matching Pearl Lite SACD player, or will one of the cheaper models work well enough with this amp?

Talking of buck, I have around £400 to spend, so I'm not in the big league in any sense.

Having more or less given up listening to music regularly (I work with music so I'm not totally depriving myself) because of compressed formats, I'm really looking forward to this new phase of hifi listening. I listen to folk/pop (Joni Mitchell, Damien Rice, Rufus Wainwright, Kate Rusby), Classical (quartets/solo piano/chamber mainly) and a mix of other stuff.

Thanks in advance...

O

Hi Ogleforth. As you say the best route to go down would be the Pearl Lite SACD but at £650 it is a bit outside your budget. If going for a second hand (or new for that matter) player with SACD utility then you are pretty much tied to Sony kit. If your old Marantz is still playing well why not get it decent service and s[pend the rest of the cash on the best external DAC you can find, simply using the old marantz as a transport? Might be the way to go. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Alears,

Many thanks for this info. I confess I had to google DAC (it's been years since I looked at hifi technology), and wasn't clear whether this would actually allow my old CD player to read SACDs, or whether it would simply update my old player to (more or less) up to date specs. If the latter, it certainly sounds like a good idea.

Meanwhile, on the Sony topic, do you have any recommendations?

Cheers,

O

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You need a dedicated SACD player for SACD's. The optics and format are totally different so adding a DAC won't allow SACD playback on an older player.

I bought a new Pearl Lite SACD last year and am very impressed. It replaced a very highly regarded Micromega Stage 2 that I had owned from new for the last 17 years but on musicality there is no contest, the Marantz is fantastic. If you could possibly stretch to it then you won't be dissapointed.

A

Anonymous

What a brilliant forum this is. Thanks very much for your advice too.

It's great to hear you're happy with your Pearl Lite SACD/CD player; having checked out DAC prices I think I'll use my old Marantz CD player whilst I save up for the matching SACD/CD player.

Do you have both the Pearl Lite amp as well as the player?

Cheers,

O

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly the Pearl-Lite amp :) B&W 703's though.

I design and build my own electronics, the amp is a Lateral FET design.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have the Marantz Pearl Lite SACD player which replaced my Micromega Stage 4 player. I am also very please with it. My dilemna, is whether or not to puchase the matching amp as I currently own a 12 year old MK1 Roksan Caspian amp. I run Neat Petit SX speakers, so am concerned whether or not I'm aiming high enough.

Reby

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
With the KI Pearl Lite products, there is a lot to be said for the aesthetics of getting the SACD player to go with the amp. They are well matched and both have very rounded sound, not to sharp, not too heavy. I bought both of them last year and have been very pleased. Because I like the warm natural sound, I am also a big fan of the B&W speakers, so I think you made a great choice in speakers to go with the player. One point to note is, you may feel a lack of lower end when you start enjoying the SACDs With the amp and whatever player you decide on.

I matched the KI Pearl Lite set with B&W CM5s, but later added a PV1 sub as well. If you are happy with the depth of the speakers, you could also consider getting one of Marantz' universal disc players to get the SACD capability a bit cheaper than the Pearl Lite.

Not sure if this helps, but happy to answer any questions you may have.

A

Anonymous

Hi Reby,

Thanks for this. That's very encouraging to hear.

Following your advice on universal disc players, I'm looking at the Marantz UD-5005, for example, which is coming in at under £300. I have a couple of questions:

A) Would the DAC built in to this be of substantially lower spec than an external DAC?

B) Would I be able to channel my digital music via the built-in DAC in this model in order to improve the quality of my digital music collection?

thanks in advance,

O

A

Anonymous

With a budget of £400 the best option is an external DAC like Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. You won't get a decent SACD/CD player with the mentioned budget unless you accept buying a second hand player.

I used to own a Marantz SA8001 (known as SA7001KI in the UK). It's very fair as CD redbook and awesome as a SACD player. I reckon the SA7001KI can be purchased for less than £400 there...

A

Anonymous

Hi Audio Maniac,

Thanks for your post. I'm happy to buy second hand so I'll check out your recommendations. I was hoping to get both SACD and optical inputs in my chosen machine, but I can see that that's a lot to ask at my budget!

O

T

the record spot

Audio Maniac said:
With a budget of £400 the best option is an external DAC like Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. You won't get a decent SACD/CD player with the mentioned budget unless you accept buying a second hand player.

I used to own a Marantz SA8001 (known as SA7001KI in the UK). It's very fair as CD redbook and awesome as a SACD player. I reckon the SA7001KI can be purchased for less than £400 there...

It's an extremely fine player all round. That's SACD and standard CD. However, the Onkyo amp I use and the Panasonic BDT-110 I use as a transport occasionally near as matches it. Some find that hard to believe, but IMO it simply shows up the capabilities of DACs, either onboard or standalone.

D

Deleted member 108165

Yes, both amp and cdp. Warm - yes, detailed - yes (PMC speakers), tiring - no, bright - no.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Anonymous said:
What a brilliant forum this is. Thanks very much for your advice too.

It's great to hear you're happy with your Pearl Lite SACD/CD player; having checked out DAC prices I think I'll use my old Marantz CD player whilst I save up for the matching SACD/CD player.

Do you have both the Pearl Lite amp as well as the player?

Cheers,

O

I've got a Marantz SA7001 SACD player which i'm looking to sell. £150 plus postage. I'm on holiday from tomorrow so unavailable to deal with this until 27th Sept, but pm me if you are interested.

D

Deleted member 108165

Plus this thread has been resurrected from 2012!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts