CD players on the way out?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canuck2:Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity

Cobblers, utter cobblers, a CD ripped to a lossless format has exactly the same amount and possibly more (depending on how rubbish your CD player is) than the original CD does.

If you don't understand that point then you aren't qualified to discuss this subject. Yes that's condescending but I don't care, it's true.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:My music's easily accessible too.

Lean over, pluck a CD, press a button on the remote, tray opens on CDP, pop the CD in the tray, click another button to close the tray, press "Play". Two physical movements, three clicks, job done!

Ok, I raise you: Pick up the Sonos remote, press play.

Job done, I win.

matthewpiano

the_lhc:matthewpiano:shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

With a cloud bassed system this wont be a problem,Pure are offering this service already.

However, a cloud based system depends on your internet connection working and being reliable enough to cope with streaming. The way a lot of internet connections are at present, it just isn't an acceptable solution.

For crying out loud, pay attention! Nobody is talking about NOW, we're talking about 5 years, 10 years, 20 years time. By then, NOBODY will have dodgy internet connections, in fact, you won't be able to get away from it.

I beg your pardon!!!!

Quite apart from the 'dodgy internet connections', I believe there will be many people like me who wish to have complete control over access to their music rather than having to rely on accessing it from some remote storage over which they have no real control.

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn:maxflinn:

a few weeks ago i bought an airport express and a v dac, i connected my blu-ray player and the airport express to the dac, and ripped a few cd's to itunes, and checked out what was what..

cd's played on my bdp sounded as good as on my marantz cd6003 and itunes to the dac sounds ever so slightly better..

the next day i sold my cd6003, i simply didn't need it, one less box and my music is more easily accessable..

By the way you've increased the number of boxes by at least 2 (v dac and AE) if you don't include the laptop.

I've been deciding how I can easily make use of my computer to store and play my music so that it sounds as good or better as my HiFi's Basically, it involves adding lots of new components. e.g. new soundcard, new DAC, and another Amp and speakers as the computer is not near existing HiFi's. I could just use headphones but I would need a good separate headphone amp and DAC/ soundcard still. So basically for me its still far easier and cheaper to have one box (cd player). Also the computer route gives other problems such as higher power consumption, lots of noise and less portable than cds.

i can't see the airport or dac, they are much smaller than my cdp was and are behind my tv stand. i always had the laptop.

i'm not suggesting everyone get rid of their cdp, but many will i feel, over time.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
dx052:I have grasped the possibilities of music files thank you very much! I know exactly what you can do with it. I just don't care to do it. I am very happy with my CD player or dusting of my vinyl which are stored away.

No offence meant dx052, but I read your original post and many others since as suggesting that the alternative to cds are 'lossy down loaded mp3s'. And that just isnt the case!

FLAC / ALAC / AIFF etc will be just as detailed as the original cd if it is 'ripped' properly. What is a transport in a cd player doing if it isnt extracting the same information in pretty much the same way as a computer will?

As an aside I plan to add a turntable, someday as I can appreciate the tactile pleasure of putting a record on along with the percieved improvement in sound over ripped lossless files or cds, neither of which hold that same tactile excitement. I cant see myself buying another cd player though.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:maxflinn:
a few weeks ago i bought an airport express and a v dac, i connected my blu-ray player and the airport express to the dac, and ripped a few cd's to itunes, and checked out what was what..

cd's played on my bdp sounded as good as on my marantz cd6003 and itunes to the dac sounds ever so slightly better..

the next day i sold my cd6003, i simply didn't need it, one less box and my music is more easily accessable..

a similar set-up is the future for many, and cd players sales will inevitably drop..

My music's easily accessible too.

Lean over, pluck a CD, press a button on the remote, tray opens on CDP, pop the CD in the tray, click another button to close the tray, press "Play". Two physical movements, three clicks, job done!

sure, it's not exactly a chore playing a cd, but if like me you have your laptop turned on and close to hand much of the time, it's even easier to get music flowing from my speakers, and there's no need to change discs. it makes more sense than a cd player for me..

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
i'm not suggesting everyone get rid of their cdp, but many will i feel, over time.

Yep i'm Just hanging on to mine and i'm gradually putting all my disc's on the PC and selling off the discs whilst creating more room on the book shelf. There will be a Nu Vista on sale soon, no doubt!

A

Anonymous

canuck2:Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity Anything is easily accessible . I think you jumped the gun by selling off your player .
i think ripped cd's played from itunes sound at least as good as my cdp, if not a tad better (which of course would be down to the dac).

i honestly don't think ive jumped the gun selling my cdp, it was a fine player and i really liked it, but it was redundant. least that's how i seen it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:the_lhc:matthewpiano:shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

With a cloud bassed system this wont be a problem,Pure are offering this service already.

However, a cloud based system depends on your internet connection working and being reliable enough to cope with streaming. The way a lot of internet connections are at present, it just isn't an acceptable solution.

For crying out loud, pay attention! Nobody is talking about NOW, we're talking about 5 years, 10 years, 20 years time. By then, NOBODY will have dodgy internet connections, in fact, you won't be able to get away from it.

I beg your pardon!!!!

Quite apart from the 'dodgy internet connections', I believe there will be many people like me who wish to have complete control over access to their music rather than having to rely on accessing it from some remote storage over which they have no real control.

Don't change the subject!
emotion-2.gif
That isn't the point I was addressing.

But to address that point; When, in (let's go nuts) 50 years time, you can play any piece of music, straight into your ears, in perfect fidelity, anywhere, at any time, instantly, on demand, as often as you like, nobody and I mean nobody, is going to care where that music is stored.

Seriously, you guys need to read more science fiction, you've got no imagination at all...

A

Anonymous

why all this talk of the future? i flogged my cdp a few weeks back
emotion-1.gif

though i have to look into getting faster broadband to be honest, as i get the occassional sound drop out on spotify. it's not all smooth sailing...

matthewpiano

shooter69:maxflinn:

Yep i'm Just hanging on to mine and i'm gradually putting all my disc's on the PC and selling off the discs whilst creating more room on the book shelf. There will be a Nu Vista on sale soon, no doubt!

Strictly speaking, once you have sold the CDs on you have no legal right to own the content.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:shooter69:maxflinn:

Strictly speaking, once you have sold the CDs on you have no legal right to own the content.

Oops, maybe they should go in the loft then.

matthewpiano

shooter69:matthewpiano:shooter69:maxflinn:

I'd say that is a good idea anyway. It is the ultimate back-up. Remember how many people regretted selling collections of vinyl when CD came out. I can see people having the same regrets all over again, but perhaps for different reasons!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:shooter69:matthewpiano:shooter69:maxflinn:

I'd say that is a good idea anyway. It is the ultimate back-up. Remember how many people regretted selling collections of vinyl when CD came out. I can see people having the same regrets all over again, but perhaps for different reasons!

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:canuck2:Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity

Cobblers, utter cobblers, a CD ripped to a lossless format has exactly the same amount and possibly more (depending on how rubbish your CD player is) than the original CD does.

If you don't understand that point then you aren't qualified to discuss this subject. Yes that's condescending but I don't care, it's true. No sir you do not understand the point and I don' t care , so there .Childish isn't it ?

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:matthewpiano:the_lhc:matthewpiano:shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?With a cloud bassed system this wont be a problem,Pure are offering this service already.However, a cloud based system depends on your internet connection working and being reliable enough to cope with streaming. The way a lot of internet connections are at present, it just isn't an acceptable solution.For crying out loud, pay attention! Nobody is talking about NOW, we're talking about 5 years, 10 years, 20 years time. By then, NOBODY will have dodgy internet connections, in fact, you won't be able to get away from it.I beg your pardon!!!! Quite apart from the 'dodgy internet connections', I believe there will be many people like me who wish to have complete control over access to their music rather than having to rely on accessing it from some remote storage over which they have no real control.Don't change the subject!
emotion-2.gif
That isn't the point I was addressing.But to address that point; When, in (let's go nuts) 50 years time, you can play any piece of music, straight into your ears, in perfect fidelity, anywhere, at any time, instantly, on demand, as often as you like, nobody and I mean nobody, is going to care where that music is stored.Seriously, you guys need to read more science fiction, you've got no imagination at all...

maybe in 50 years time we will be making music by hitting sticks together, because world war 3 will have wiped out everything as we know it today. oooh or maybe music will be beamed directly into our minds and there will be no need for cd players, amps, speakers, NAS drives ect ect. Anything could happen in 50 years, quite exiting to wonder about the possibilities.

betamale

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Horses for courses. I would not dream of being without a CD player. I buy 5 or 6 cds a month and love putting them in the rack, but only once they are safely put onto my NAS. I generally play via Sonos. Apart form anything else, currently a large percentage of CD's are cheaper than the inferior downloads. Angus and Julia Stone - Down the way. £7.63 from Amazon. £4.99 from the excellent Borderline records where I can scour the racks of lovely music for hours and discuss my purchase with the knowledgeable staff who will suggest other stuff I might not know of. Or I can download an MP3 copy for £9.99 from Apple store. No packaging, nothing to hold and cherish and worse quality.If that is the case is there any real argument?

I barely need to buy any Cd's I can listen to virtually anything I want on Napster, but that's not the point, there is more to music than what you hear! It is the whole experience.

I'll keep hold of my cd's for now thanks. But I will listen to them on the Sonos when I am lazy and a cd player when I want every nuance to wash over me.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Once you have all your music on a hard drive, and have experienced all the convenience/ functionality/quality that a system like a Squeezebox or the Sonos brings, you will never look back.

CD players are on borrowed time, and the kids just aren't buying CD's anymore.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
SonofSun:
Once you have all your music on a hard drive, and have experienced all the convenience/ functionality/quality that a system like a Squeezebox or the Sonos brings, you will never look back.

Interestingly though everyone I know with massive CD collections are ripping their CDs to PC and then keeping them (invariably in the loft or study etc) but still want a good CD Player to play them if they so desire. One thing we've failed to mention so far are media servers with a CD player built in like the Olive O4HD and O6HD which are stunning CD players in their own right before you consider their ripping abilities. So maybe the future of CD players is split between CD player/DAC combinations and CD player media servers?

Food for thought!

Tonestar1

Sizzers:If computer based music is the way forward, why do you have to keep backing everything up?

Beacuse the tecnology isn't quite there yet to guarantee HDD integrity. The pros of this are that its easy to make a bit for bit copy of all of your music. This was something that was pretty much impossible with the older formats, unless you kept a record for record copy in another location. I mean what if your house went on fire? I have all of my data sitting on a hard drive in my mates house. Sure'll id be upset to loose records and cd's but at least im restarting with a pretty good basline to workfrom.

I'n my opinion the forward for this and the way forward for the music industry is to provide great quality vinyl with a unique key that allows you a license to go in and download a high res copy from the cloud as and when you choose.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canuck2:the_lhc:canuck2:Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity

If you don't understand that point then you aren't qualified to discuss this subject. Yes that's condescending but I don't care, it's true. No sir you do not understand the point and I don' t care , so there .Childish isn't it ?

No, you don't understand the point, as you're one of many people who seem to think that the only alternative to CDs is lossy downloads. It isn't. I never download anything, I buy a CD and rip it to a lossless format (FLAC) and I can guarantee you that no "professional audio engineer" could tell the difference between the original CD and the FLAC file.

mp3s? You can keep them, I have no use for them.

matthewpiano

the_lhc:canuck2:the_lhc:canuck2:Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity

No, you don't understand the point, as you're one of many people who seem to think that the only alternative to CDs is lossy downloads. It isn't. I never download anything, I buy a CD and rip it to a lossless format (FLAC) and I can guarantee you that no "professional audio engineer" could tell the difference between the original CD and the FLAC file.

mp3s? You can keep them, I have no use for them.

This I do agree with you on. Anyone who can hear the difference between a CD and a lossless rip of the same CD is suffering from some kind of delusion. Even I will admit that, if anything, the lossless rip should be slightly better because the error correction has been done during the ripping process rather than on the fly.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
basshead:the_lhc:When, in (let's go nuts) 50 years time, you can play any piece of music, straight into your ears, in perfect fidelity, anywhere, at any time, instantly, on demand, as often as you like, nobody and I mean nobody, is going to care where that music is stored.Seriously, you guys need to read more science fiction, you've got no imagination at all...

maybe in 50 years time we will be making music by hitting sticks together, because world war 3 will have wiped out everything as we know it today. oooh or maybe music will be beamed directly into our minds and there will be no need for cd players, amps, speakers, NAS drives ect ect.

Not far off, I was thinking more along the lines of cochlear implants, stimulating the aural nerve directly, you wouldn't be able to distinguish it from real sound.

Anything could happen in 50 years, quite exiting to wonder about the possibilities.

Yes, that's kind of my point, however the always available, instant playback will be available a lot earlier than 50 years, just not direct into the ear!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
audioaffair:SonofSun:

Interestingly though everyone I know with massive CD collections are ripping their CDs to PC and then keeping them (invariably in the loft or study etc) but still want a good CD Player to play them if they so desire.

We've never met though, so that statement won't stand up to scrutiny for long...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts