admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear friends,.

I'm going to change my cd player. I'm thinking in the Unison research Unico CDE player to combine with my Unison Research P70 valve amplifier. Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mkII speakers.

I only listen to jazz.

Any best option on this price level? What's your opinion of this entire combination?

Thank's.

MM.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't add more valves into your system... too much of the same thing may make your sound too soft and lacking speed and grip. For similar price to the Unico CDE, I would suggest you opt for a Naim CD5XS with a FlatcapXS.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard the Unico CDE player, but I do have the Unico intergrated amp which has valves in the pre-amp stage and I certainly wouldn't call the sound warm or laid back. There is a general misconception that all valve amps and CD players must sound warm and laid back. This is definitely not the case with the Unico amp that I have.

A

Anonymous

Folk's,

Thank's for your answers. I've thought in the more expensive McIntosh MCD 500, Do you think this combination could be much better in "quality for the money" terms?

Thank's again

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Sabby:I haven't heard the Unico CDE player, but I do have the Unico intergrated amp which has valves in the pre-amp stage and I certainly wouldn't call the sound warm or laid back. There is a general misconception that all valve amps and CD players must sound warm and laid back. This is definitely not the case with the Unico amp that I have.

Yours is a hybrid amp, and I agree with your opinion as I used to have one too. However the P70 is a full valve amp, and a review of it stated that "The bass end is often a weakness of valve amplifiers and the P70 does fall a little short of the best solid state models in terms of tautness, tightness and consistency." which is why I stick to my opinion that Marmarosa would best go for a non-valve CD player.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hifikrazy:Sabby:I haven't heard the Unico CDE player, but I do have the Unico intergrated amp which has valves in the pre-amp stage and I certainly wouldn't call the sound warm or laid back. There is a general misconception that all valve amps and CD players must sound warm and laid back. This is definitely not the case with the Unico amp that I have.

Yours is a hybrid amp, and I agree with your opinion as I used to have one too. However the P70 is a full valve amp, and a review of it stated that "The bass end is often a weakness of valve amplifiers and the P70 does fall a little short of the best solid state models in terms of tautness, tightness and consistency." which is why I stick to my opinion that Marmarosa would best go for a non-valve CD player.

I would agree with you that generally the bass end is often a weakness of valve amps. There are however exceptions and I have read a few reviews of Audio Research valve amps that were described as having a very tight bass response. But at those prices I suppose you would be entitled to expect nothing less.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
marmarosa:
Folk's,

Thank's for your answers. I've thought in the more expensive McIntosh MCD 500, Do you think this combination could be much better in "quality for the money" terms?

Thank's again

Nothing wrong with the MCD 500, I heard it a few time. Is it better? You bet. The problem with Mcintosh though is the house sound, (some brand has stronger house sound than the other) I like it a lot but Would you? demo is a must I reckon. There are also a few more player around that price which you should consider too (state the obvious, I know)

TRENDING THREADS