CD player upgrade

michaelmoravian

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I have an old Yamaha CDX396 1-bit Natural Sound CD player and am looking to upgrade but I can't afford to spend a lot. As I have the Sansui WLD201 Network Player/Radio it seems to make sense to get the Sansui CDD201 which uses the same remote and can be got for around £100. But is it going to be any better sounding than the Yamaha? Any advice would be appreciated. It is all connected to a Sony TAF248E amplifier and MS20i Pearl Edition speakers.

A

Anderson

Groundhog Day..

Keep what you've got, CD players are CD players they're transparent. You could add a streamer, buy some more music or save your money for something else.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
There can be differences between CD players, but they should all read the same 1's&0's. Some differences will be due to the DAC, choice of filters, up sampling and quality of output stages plus other things. I have definitely heard differences between CD player I've owned.

The most expensive one was not necessarily better than the others, just different.

For £100.00 it's probably not worth it, unless the convenience of using the same remote is worth £100.00?

Even £1000.00 might only give a different but not better presentation than what you have.

Maybe demo a few to hear for your self, but £100.00 for a CD upgrade?

Maybe spend it on a genre of music that you wouldn't have bought otherwise.

A

Anderson

The things to spend your money on are the speakers and to a lesser extent the amp. Speakers you should put nearly all your money into, followed by amp then source (if digital). I don't know anything about vinyl so you'll have to be excuse what I say on that front.

As the gentleman above alluded to your better spending your money somewhere else in the chain. Also note I was carful not to say that you wouldn't hear a difference, you probably will.. But is it real?

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I don't think you'll get much of an upgrade if you go for the Sansui. It would just be a sideways move at best. You'll have to try the likes of Marantz's CD6005 or similar to get a proper jump in quality, but they're closer to the £300 mark.

michaelmoravian

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I think I shall stick with the Yamaha for now. And I think I would also struggle to get better speakers without spending a lot either.

SteveR750

Ketan Bharadia said:
I don't think you'll get much of an upgrade if you go for the Sansui. It would just be a sideways move at best. You'll have to try the likes of Marantz's CD6005 or similar to get a proper jump in quality, but they're closer to the £300 mark.

Ketan, how good is transport part of the Sansui? Better than a panasonic blu ray player for example? I suspect the onboard DACs have a lot to do with the relative SQ of cheaper CDPs. What, for example does a £1ks worth of Cyrus CDXT offer over the budget transport only products?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
think about trying to source a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 or similar? Looking at the rear panel of the Yamaha CDX396 it has an optical out. Would using it as a transport improve things? I'm probably talking nonsense...

SteveR750

luckylion100 said:
think about trying to source a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 or similar? Looking at the rear panel of the Yamaha CDX396 it has an optical out. Would using it as a transport improve things? I'm probably talking nonsense...

Far from it, that's pretty much the question I am asking. The CA dacmagic is better than most of those in budget CDPs (not all of them, but probably most). The issue with a transport is accuracy in reading the data, but it would have to be a pretty cruddy mechanism to invoke serious error correction sufficient to adversely affect SQ if I've understoon the reed-solomon code properly)

michaelmoravian

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
It would make sense that DACs have improved in the last 15 years or so since I bought the Yamaha so it might be worth seeing what I can get on a budget. Thanks.

I picked one of these up on eBay for around 30 quid. It performed way better than newer arcam DVD players costing around a grand.

there are musical bargains out there. Give one a go, if you can drop on one.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
so, I bought a Tom Evans 'tweaked' CDP to match the Tom Evans 'tweaked' amp that I own .... I paid a fair price for the CDP....

have I wasted my money?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
dim_span said:
so, I bought a Tom Evans 'tweaked' CDP to match the Tom Evans 'tweaked' amp that I own .... I paid a fair price for the CDP....

have I wasted my money?

Not if you're happy with the results. You can't put a price on happiness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts