CD Player upgrade

T

the record spot

Lately on some CDs I've found myself thinking that the Linn Mimik I have sounds a little 'messy' with some music. It seems to have a bit of a hard time where there's a lot happening. Usually rock related, but not all. It's still very enjoyable to listen to and if I had to keep it for another ten years, I wouldn't quibble with it.

But I'm still thinking about what if....!

So, budget is £600 max (actually, maybe £650 as I have an option on a Primare CD30.2 secondhand, but absolutely no more). I don't want a universal player, but an SACD/CD player isn't out the question. I like an analytical and detailed sound, not interested in warm or smooth, but it needs to present a good musical whole. Not interested in hard drives, ripping, etc - I like the product in my hand, not the downloaded file, so Sonos and Squeezebox, et al, are off the radar.

I won't be upgrading anything else, so if you think my speakers (Mission 733i floorstanders) or amp (Marantz 6010-KI Signature) need changing, I'd need a good argument for it as they're both capable enough to withstand an upgrade.

All suggestions gratefully received!

hanrahans1970

Nov 5, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried the Genki which i think replaced the Mimmik(if you like the Linn sound)? Around i think at the same time as the d30.2?
I have had both over the years and have stuck with the Primare for the last 5.....Love the warm informative sound.

T

the record spot

OK, thanks for that suggestion - I'd forgotten about the Genki actually. It had good reviews back then. Any other suggestions folks? I could do with some tips, preferably if anyone's heard or owned what they might recommend; secondhand not a problem either.

T

the record spot

OK, how about the Exposure 2010S, Rega Apollo, Audiolab 8000CD, Marantz SA-7001KI - has anyone out there had any experience using those perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts