3. Musical Fidelity X-DAC

4. Marantz CD6000 CD player

5. Sony MDS-JA20ES Mini Disk player

6. Mission M31 bookshelf speakers

7. Target speaker stands

8. Arrow speaker cables

9. Dome Audio Hifi rack

10. iPOD dock

I am looking for a CD players that all rounder for all different kind of music s I listen to all sorts. But particularly I would like to have a more upfront feeling for vocals and also the plucking and strumming of acoustoc guitars whenever I put on a Gypsy Kings CD. Looks is also important to satisfy the lady of the house requirements.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Phew, thats a lovely system.

Well I'd say that either of the Primare Models, the Creek Classic, the Naim Cd5i or the Rega Saturn would be good pairings with that kit. Particular emphasis on the CD31 and the Saturn though...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman,

Why do you say that I need to change my speakers rather than my CD player?

Care to ellaborate?

Ray,

The CD players you mentioned, do u think I need to use my DAC for it or I should get rid of the deck?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe:
Thaiman,

Why do you say that I need to change my speakers rather than my CD player?

Care to ellaborate?

Ray,

The CD players you mentioned, do u think I need to use my DAC for it or I should get rid of the deck?

Maybe because you have a nice amp setup, a CD transport and MF DAC which will almost certainly be outperforming a pair of £100 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Well a good cdp already has a good dac. Imo one should buy the cdp with the good dac rather than seperating them.

Also yes, your missions (although really good speakers) are nowhere near the rest of your kit. When I read through the first time I registered the m31s as epos, don't know why, must have been a brain fart. Anyway, I'd buy a rega saturn or the primare, lose the dac and send the dac money to buying a good (1500+ quid) pair of speakers. You're not getting the most out of your system, not even scraping the surface with the missions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe:

Hello all,

Need advice for a CD player upgrade.

My current setup:

1. Musical Fidelity X-A1 Pre Amp

2. Musical Fidelity X-A50 Monoblocs Power Amp

3. Musical Fidelity X-DAC

4. Marantz CD6000 CD player

5. Sony MDS-JA20ES Mini Disk player

6. Mission M31 bookshelf speakers

7. Target speaker stands

8. Arrow speaker cables

9. Dome Audio Hifi rack

10. iPOD dock

I am looking for a CD players that all rounder for all different kind of music s I listen to all sorts. But particularly I would like to have a more upfront feeling for vocals and also the plucking and strumming of acoustoc guitars whenever I put on a Gypsy Kings CD. Looks is also important to satisfy the lady of the house requirements.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks in advance.

Agree with everyone, speakers are the weakest link. However, I'd sell the lot and buy AVI's actives. They should fit all your requirements.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

Agree with everyone, speakers are the weakest link. However, I'd sell the lot and buy AVI's actives. They should fit all your requirements.

Are you on commission now or something? :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

fr0g:Are you on commission now or something? :)

Seems like it...

I dont think I'd be on much if you see what you get for the money ... !

Like I said previously, its not a system for everybody and there are a couple of areas I dont like but whats perfect? Arcam lovers would probably hate it. If you want realism ie. real transients when strings are plucked or drumms are played etc its a fantastic choice and I stand by what I said ... I could'nt put a system together that comes close at anything near the price, full stop. So why not suggest it? Of course there are other product I like and regularely suggest but the equivelant in price would be something like a pair of marantzes and some B&W 6's ... come on!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Andrew Everard:

Seems like it...

I dont think I'd be on much if you see what you get for the money ... !

Like I said previously, its not a system for everybody and there are a couple of areas I dont like but whats perfect? Arcam lovers would probably hate it. If you want realism ie. real transients when strings are plucked or drumms are played etc its a fantastic choice and I stand by what I said ... I could'nt put a system together that comes close at anything near the price, full stop. So why not suggest it? Of course there are other product I like and regularely suggest but the equivelant in price would be something like a pair of marantzes and some B&W 6's ... come on!

...and the ADM9s would make a great system for someone starting from afresh... but the OP was after CD upgrade advice (even if his speakers do need an upgrade first).

I can see I shall have to get a listen to them when I'm back in the UK though...;)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Seems like it...

... and I dont think I ever suggested you are on your suppliers payroll just because you like PMC, Naim or whatever else tickles your fancy AE. Bit of fairness works both ways mate.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can see I shall have to get a listen to them when I'm back in the UK though...;)

I would frog. Its just an altogether different concept. I still love the cyrus8 pairing with Rega's or Proacs, the Rega Brio/Apollo/R3, Epos'es products etc etc. but what you get is in essence an incredibly powerful compact(ish) system which may be all some people ever need, taking some of the urge to constantly upgrade out of the equation. The different components; amplifier, speakers and of what I heard, the DAC too, are of such high quality it really beggars believe how they can manage to sell it at the price if you compare it with some other manufacturers products/prices. Its a neat and lovely built solution but I can see that some folks prefer separates and the 'flexibility' coming with it. I have'nt heard as much high end (speak usually very expensive) products as some on this forum but I have had my fair share and it takes quite a bit to impress me. The AVI's did'nt when I first heard them and still did'nt initially when I just recently re-aquainted with them but after half an hour I was smitten. I think this says a lot about a product you have to live with and listen to for long periods. Now it they (AVI) could engineer a little bit of loudness and warmth in to the product it would be nigh-on perfect imo but it really is almost unfair to criticise them at the price and its just about adjusting hearing for a while after which you simply dont notice. Well, I will listen to the new versions in a few weeks and hopefully they'll be even better.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I went out to have a look at a few speakers and also CD players today. One thing I forgot to mention was that I am in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia although I got all my kit from the UK (mostly from Sevenoaks) when I was studying and working there. So,off the shelf choices are limited here, hence difficult to audition. Although the AVI set up sound tempting but I am still a big fan of MF. Been using it for 9 years now. Still purrs nicely to my ears. What do u guys think of the following models:

Speakers:

1. Quad 11L - selling at 330 GBP

2. Mission M34i - currently using for my home cinema set up. I may get another pair of M34i if it sounds good. Selling at 350 GBP.

3. Monitor Audio Silver RS1 - Selling at 320 GBP

4. Epos M12i - selling at 500 GBP

CD players:

1. Marantz CD6002 - selling at 240 GBP

2. Rega Apollo - selling at 580 GBP

Or forget about a new CD player and try to find a sub 1000 GBP speakers?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe:

Hello all,

I went out to have a look at a few speakers and also CD players today. One thing I forgot to mention was that I am in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia although I got all my kit from the UK (mostly from Sevenoaks) when I was studying and working there. So,off the shelf choices are limited here, hence difficult to audition. Although the AVI set up sound tempting but I am still a big fan of MF. Been using it for 9 years now. Still purrs nicely to my ears. What do u guys think of the following models:

Speakers:

1. Quad 11L - selling at 330 GBP

2. Mission M34i - currently using for my home cinema set up. I may get another pair of M34i if it sounds good. Selling at 350 GBP.

3. Monitor Audio Silver RS1 - Selling at 320 GBP

4. Epos M12i - selling at 500 GBP

CD players:

1. Marantz CD6002 - selling at 240 GBP

2. Rega Apollo - selling at 580 GBP

Or forget about a new CD player and try to find a sub 1000 GBP speakers?

Apologies ElHefe, got a bit carried away
emotion-11.gif

Both the Apollo and Epos really are in a different league to the others but then you would expect that considering the difference in price. Plenty of speakers to choose from under 1k. Again, I would think that Epos, Rega and ProAc match well with your MF's.

A

Anonymous

I'd say hold off on the cdp and spend it on speakers. All those speakers you mentioned... excellent ones. But maybe try rega r5? Go a bit upmarket. You've got mf afterall.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have finally purchased 2 items after going through the following different set up at the local hifi shops. I have tested the following:

1. Rega Apollo with R3 and R5

2. Marantz CD6002 with PSB Image T45,Polk Audio, ATC SCM11 and Epos M12.2

3. Marantz SA7001 with Epos M12.2

I had to forego the idea of sub 1000 GBP speakers as my previous Marantz CD6000 refuses to read any of my CDs today. So, had to split the budget between speakers and new CD player.

The Rega setup with R3 was a little bit on a soft side. Most probably because I have a big room to fill up. R5 were good but way above my budget but it was a nice experience to listen to them.

The CD6002 worked the best with the ATC, followed by Epos, POlk Audio and PSB. However, the design of the ATC did not get the approval from the lady of the house. So, I ended up with Epos which is still a very fine buy.

I then tested the Epos with SA7001. It sounded even livelier. Hotel California sounds completely different from the Mission M31 that I had.

So, finally I purchased the Epos and CD6002 and I am now a happy camper with Gypsy Kings - Volare blasting on the new system now.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS