cd player pioneer pd d6 or d9 or nad 545 or 565 what to get ?

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
ive decided to get a new cd player

my amp is nad c355bee, speaker some very good old sony apm es ones

so which to buy

pioneer pd d6 j or pd d9 j

marantz sa 7003

nad c545 or c565

now ive heard some skipping problems with the nad c545 and read some bad reviews

the c565 sounds goood but is a bit expensive for what it is

and the pioneer pd d6 got some good reviews

but ive seen the pioneer pd d9 which is the model up for £350 only ive heard nothing about this model

any suggestions anyone

matthewpiano

I'd be careful with NAD CD players. They can be unreliable (as I've found from personal experience).

I'd look at the new Denon DCD-710AE or one of the Pioneer machines. The Marantz would also be a very good buy.

Alternatively, seek out a good 2nd hand Arcam. At the cheaper end a CD73 would be great, but if you can get a CD192 you'll be well away and will have a player that will stand future amp and speaker upgrades as well. There are a couple on Ebay if you have a look.

A

Anonymous

My pick would be the http://puresuperaudio.blogspot.com/2009/06/pd-d9mk2-new-sacd-player-from-pioneer.htmlPioneer D9. Incidentally there news of a PD-D9-MK2

K0000034821.jpg

Here are the details from the Japanese website.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
On the opposite side of MP's comment I'd go for NAD straight away.

I've never had any issues with NAD or Arcam separates but at the end of the day everyones different and its all down to personal opinion.

For solid synergy it would make sense to go with the NAD C545BEE CDP as it'd suit the C355BEE amp you've got down to a tee.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to and what speakers do you have?

Agreeing with MP; the Arcam CD192 CDP would be a superb purchase if you want to strecth your budget that far; there's a few on eBay currently and one went on Sunday evening; 6 months old and still mint condition for £300! They're £900 brand new!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lee37:
ive decided to get a new cd player

my amp is nad c355bee, speaker some very good old sony apm es ones

so which to buy

pioneer pd d6 j or pd d9 j

marantz sa 7003

nad c545 or c565

now ive heard some skipping problems with the nad c545 and read some bad reviews

the c565 sounds goood but is a bit expensive for what it is

and the pioneer pd d6 got some good reviews

but ive seen the pioneer pd d9 which is the model up for £350 only ive heard nothing about this model

any suggestions anyone

I would check out the Pioneer and Denon mentioned. I bought the Pioneer a couple of years ago and it sounded nice but was not the gloss black colour advertised but a graphite grey. I sent it back and got the Denon DCD-700AE (which is the model that has been superceded by the one Matthew mentioned). The Denon was at least as good and there is the possibility that the newer model is even better. Saying that, I only had an hour or two with the Pioneer.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Maybe try the Marantz CD6002 or the new CD6003 ? I have the CD6002 and it's a fantastic player.

I'm not a fan of Nad players either. A lot of reliability issues if you check out the forums. I only had the Nad C515bee for 2 months and IMO the sound was boring and not exciting.

If you can still get it the Marantz SA7001 is a very good player too.

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
something i should have mentioned is the cd player i have is a sony cdp x303es which cost £550 in 1993 and is very well built and is a good quality player and got a good review in what hifi in july 1993

obviously the new one i want at least the same quality or hopefully better

which is why i am not sure about the nad either of them.

the pioneer i am tempted with as it is very cheap the mark 2 version sounds better but could be a bit to expensive for me.

the speakers i have are sony apm 181 es, 3 way, 200w rms, old but good and i listen to rock / heavy metal

the arcam looks interesting i have seen it for £400 as i have to have black, none of the silver rubbish or the wife moans about colours not matching and it has to look good not daft shapes like the cyrus

i am looking to pay around £400 - 450 from an internet retailer and probably not 2nd hand

matthewpiano

Just to clarify my earlier comments, I wouldn't question the sound quality of the NAD players. Their CD players are fantastic on that front and would match very well with what you have. Its just that I've had experience of flakey NAD CD players in terms of transport issues, and looking around on the net I'm not the only one.

I still think you should be looking at the Denon range, although you would have to buy it from a bricks and mortar store as they do not allow internet sales of their seperates range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts