New CD player or DAC?

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
my Marantz CD63SE wont turn on anymore. It started to not read discs occasionally and now wont power up.

So i see this as gods way of telling me to get a new gadget :D

Can anyone recommend a good cd player for mainly rock/indie music that will match my NAD C320BEE amp and Monitor Audio BR2 speakers.

Looking around at reviews online it would seem the NAD C521 matching player is the obvious choice but ive also read reviews of noisy disc spinning on some NAD players. How does this player compare to my old Marantz?

Ive also read a couple reviews that said the Rotal RCD-965BX was the same day equivalent of the Marantz and ive seen this on ebay for £30-£50.

Any other choices to recommend? Ive a budget of £150-£200 and happy to look at 2nd hand. Just wondering if i need to spend that on a 2nd hand player or would that be overkill for my amp?

Or would i be better getting a cheap player, like the above mentioned Rotel, and a half decent DAC? Ive never used DACs before but this could be the time to take a look at them?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved :D

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
any particular one youd recommend?

Ive seen the cd6003 is the highly rated one but cant really stretch to £300 at the moment. How does that one compare to my old CD63SE? If there is no difference i may as well keep an eye on ebay for the same as i had.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to one of the toughest posts to answer! You 63SE guys all held on to your machines for so long that they were bound to expire sooner or later. It was a great machine and that's probably the problem. I've talked to a few people in the same position as yourself, and have yet to see a good answer? Especially if you have under £300.

The one thing I would say is that getting another 63SE would probably be a bad idea. If only because it seems most of them are coming to an end of their life at roughly the same point in time. Needless to say, you'll be taking a risk by doing that.

Those that have owned a 63SE usually have big problems finding something of the same quality. Wish I had a better answer for you, as most have ended up auditioning many players but end up dissatisfied with some of the modern equipment. So needless to say I'll be following this thread out of interest and hopefully learn something in the process.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you have an original SE then I would step up a gear and get the amazing cd 63 mkii ki sig, on eBay now for circa 200. No need for a better dac for that unit.

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You can easiy pick-up a second-hand marantz CD 5003/5004 from ebay upto £150 which is within your budget range.

Alternatively you can pick up a good Denon ( a warmer sound) and Arcam CD player.

Look out for optical/digital outputs on your next purchase will prove essential.

DAC'S are very subtle and to my mind not worth it!!!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
If the unit is beyond repair I would buy a replacement from ebay. Laser assemblies may fail after a while, but AFAIK replacement parts are still available.

londonguy said:
my Marantz CD63SE wont turn on anymore. It started to not read discs occasionally and now wont power up.

So i see this as gods way of telling me to get a new gadget :D

Can anyone recommend a good cd player for mainly rock/indie music that will match my NAD C320BEE amp and Monitor Audio BR2 speakers.

Looking around at reviews online it would seem the NAD C521 matching player is the obvious choice but ive also read reviews of noisy disc spinning on some NAD players. How does this player compare to my old Marantz?

Ive also read a couple reviews that said the Rotal RCD-965BX was the same day equivalent of the Marantz and ive seen this on ebay for £30-£50.

Any other choices to recommend? Ive a budget of £150-£200 and happy to look at 2nd hand. Just wondering if i need to spend that on a 2nd hand player or would that be overkill for my amp?

Or would i be better getting a cheap player, like the above mentioned Rotel, and a half decent DAC? Ive never used DACs before but this could be the time to take a look at them?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved :D

Hi londonguy

I'll suggest that you save your money and seriously consider the RCD-965BX. The RCD-965BX is Rotel's finest overall cd player to date and also one of the finest cd players made :bigsmile: At around £50 the RCD-965BX is a no brainer
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts