Cd player or Music server

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My trusty old Marantz 63 SE KI has finally reached the end of its life, as such I am now looking for a replacement. I am considering the new Marantz Cd6004 but do like the idea of the relatively new music streamer option. I do have a couple of questions though. Could I expect equal sound quality if I went for say the CA NP30 or Marantz NA7004 compared to the dedicated CD player and can you just copy all of your current CD's onto an external drive and play that through these new devices.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. You should be going the streaming route, as CD is on the way out.

I have found that it much more versitile and the sound quality from a given budget is usually better. The downside is that it's a little more awkward to set up if a technophobe (me), and a bit of time is needed to rip your collection.

Once done, it's well worth the effort as you now have the ability to play 24 bit and (possibly) stream from something like Last FM etc.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I also think CD is on the way out so a cambridge audio NP30 is a nice option.

Also look for ;

Denon DNP-720AE

Pioneer N-30

Pioneer N-50

The Pioneers look awesome........

stevej62 said:
I am considering the new Marantz Cd6004 but do like the idea of the relatively new music streamer option. I do have a couple of questions though. Could I expect equal sound quality if I went for say the CA NP30 or Marantz NA7004 compared to the dedicated CD player...

I think that question hasn't really been fully answered yet. But when you read up a lot, as I've tried to, you find worrying snippets like this, in the glowing review of the Olive 4HD, which costs over £2000.

"And comparing the CD quality with that of Marantz's excellent CD6003 was interesting, too: there wasn't much in it, with the 4HD proving, at the least, an attentively rhythmic and expressive listen."

Now, the Olive does have huge hard discs, so is a 'server' not just streamer, and has an appealingly unique design. But to be about as good as a £300 CD player.... for more than two grand!

I'm still looking for a proper assesment of outright sound quality for these streamers, both on CD (or equivalent) and tuner, when used as a source in a good stereo system. So that's FM versus internet radio, and CD -v- its ripped or downloaded version. Currently, my best guess is that price is a fairly good predictor. So you might get something like this, with the best first:-

1. Naim NDX

2. Musical Fidelity CLiC

3 = Marantz NA7004 and NAD C446

4. Cambridge NP30

Cyrus Streamline and Naim UnitiQute in the middle somewhere, because they include amplifiers.

There will be fans of the Logitech Touch with DACs, and many other permutations, like the brilliant little Marantz M-CR603 (including amps). I realise there are many other devices out there too.

I hope others can suggest a better list!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I think that question hasn't really been fully answered yet. But when you read up a lot, as I've tried to, you find worrying snippets like this, in the glowing review of the Olive 4HD, which costs over £2000.

"And comparing the CD quality with that of Marantz's excellent CD6003 was interesting, too: there wasn't much in it, with the 4HD proving, at the least, an attentively rhythmic and expressive listen."

Now, the Olive does have huge hard discs, so is a 'server' not just streamer, and has an appealingly unique design. But to be about as good as a £300 CD player.... for more than two grand!

I'm still looking for a proper assesment of outright sound quality for these streamers, both on CD (or equivalent) and tuner, when used as a source in a good stereo system. So that's FM versus internet radio, and CD -v- its ripped or downloaded version. Currently, my best guess is that price is a fairly good predictor. So you might get something like this, with the best first:-

1. Naim NDX

2. Musical Fidelity CLiC

3 = Marantz NA7004 and NAD C446

4. Cambridge NP30

Cyrus Streamline and Naim UnitiQute in the middle somewhere, because they include amplifiers.

There will be fans of the Logitech Touch with DACs, and many other permutations, like the brilliant little Marantz M-CR603 (including amps). I realise there are many other devices out there too.

I hope others can suggest a better list!

Linn found their DS products were so much better than their equivalent CDPs, that they stopped production of the latter....and I heard this for myself. IMO. Anyone who has £800 to spend, should hear what a Linn Sneaky can do...which is why it's my standard recommendation at around this budget.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Denon dnp-720AE is a very good looking machine and plays wav and flac.

DenonHifi_DNP720AE_L.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
So, would the Sneaky (which includes 20w amps) be a better sound than, say, a NA7004 do you reckon, Cno?

I suspect the Sneaky is substantially better. The review I read about the Marantz, said that it sounded much better when played through an external DAC!....can't say for sure though.

Try to give the Sneaky a listen and let me know what you think. ;)

CnoEvil said:
I suspect the Sneaky is substantially better. The review I read about the Marantz, said that it sounded much better when played through an external DAC!....can't say for sure though. Try to give the Sneaky a listen and let me know what you think. ;)

Will do, as I have a couple of chums with Linn bits, though I must admit I rather fancy the CLiC for sensible money.

That said, I rather think everything might sound better through an external DAC. For example, the other day I heard the Naim HDX at one of their Summer Roadshows. That was my 'dream' item, if the Premium Bond comes up. (It's the one with the hard disc and CDP in one box) But amazingly it sounded noticeably better when routed through an NDX (rather then through its internal works). And then better again, by a BIGGER margin, when routed through the Naim DAC.

You've probably guessed by now that with a further £3k or £5k for the outboard power supply, for the £2k DAC, it was better again. So now we're over ten grand just to replay 0s and 1s. Aaaargh!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Will do, as I have a couple of chums with Linn bits, though I must admit I rather fancy the CLiC for sensible money.

That said, I rather think everything might sound better through an external DAC. For example, the other day I heard the Naim HDX at one of their Summer Roadshows. That was my 'dream' item, if the Premium Bond comes up. (It's the one with the hard disc and CDP in one box) But amazingly it sounded noticeably better when routed through an NDX (rather then through its internal works). And then better again, by a BIGGER margin, when routed through the Naim DAC.

You've probably guessed by now that with a further £3k or £5k for the outboard power supply, for the £2k DAC, it was better again. So now we're over ten grand just to replay 0s and 1s. Aaaargh!

The Linn DS range are worth hearing at each price catagory; with the new Klimax being about as good as it gets at around £11k.

The odd thing is, I don't get on with Linn's other products (except their TTs) at all. Their Active speakers sound better, but cost too much to give VFM.

Linn's use of the Dynamik p/s mean they seem fairly immune to fancy power cables and filters. The only thing that gave me an improvement was "Black Ravoli".

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the helpful replies, it does seem as if the jury is still out on sound quality which is my main driver. Yes it would be good to be able to just play from an extensive libray on hard disk without having to change disks all the time but not at the expense of sound quality. Ultimately I only have around £400-£500 to play with so if I go the streamer route its probably the Cambridge or the Marantz other than that its the CD6004.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the helpful replies, it does seem as if the jury is still out on sound quality which is my main driver. Yes it would be good to be able to just play from an extensive libray on hard disk without having to change disks all the time but not at the expense of sound quality. Ultimately I only have around £400-£500 to play with so if I go the streamer route its probably the Cambridge or the Marantz other than that its the CD6004.

T

the record spot

Try Google PP. I've not found one although I don't need one now, but plenty of owner opinions. Happy hunting. :)

T

the record spot

Well, the review states "RCA Sound" (which I take to mean the phono plug inputs) as 68. The MM cartridge input is rated at 60, yet the translation from the German seems very positive. Sounds like they didn't use the digital inputs though...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts