CD Player Help required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Thinking about a CD upgrade. Struggling to decide what to go for. Was thinking of Arcam CD192, but can't find one anywhere. A few CD73's on fleabay, but don't know if this is a significant stepup from the Marantz. Wouldn't be a long term solution, but would form the basis of a second room system with the old A65+ and B&W 602 s3's that I recently replaced, when I upgrade to CD37 or Cyrus (haven't had a chance to audition yet with the Kandy and GS10s). Sorry for rambling on, I guess the basic question is;

Is a CD73 for £300.00 worth a punt, or should I just stick with the Marantz for now?

Yours hopefully,

Shuggie

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about using an external DAC with your existing CD6002?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't ever tried out or heard an external DAC. Does it make a significant difference? I'm not sceptical, just ignorant!

A

Anonymous

A lot depends on the quality of the internal DAC in your CD player.

You could also use the DAC to improve the sound quality if you want to hook up any digital music (say from a PC) to your hifi.

Others are available but read this for starters:

http://whathifi.com/Review/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic/

A

Anonymous

I notice you have a K2 amp, I plumped for a Caspian Integrated and paired it with a Arcam DV135 DVD/CD/SACD player and I'm still amazed at how good it sounds, a good combo for me. I think you can pick one up for around £250 (was £900 when it came out ! ) and according to the WHF review is a cracking CD player and I agree. Check out the review

http://whathifi.com/Review/Arcam-DiVA-DV135/

A

Anonymous

Thanks both,

Those are interesting options. I could always put the DAC in my AV system for PC based music in the future. I hadn't thought of a Universal Spinner, but of course, it too could be put to good use in the multichannel setup down the line, when I find the CD Player of my dreams ;-) that will never need upgraded.

Food for thought.

A

Anonymous

It works a treat for me - now I have one box instead of two and as it sits in the living room, but not on a dedicated rack, it looks quite neat and tidy (wife approves !). It serves me well on the DVD side but I can't speak for how it would perform in a dedicated home cinema system though as my system is for music only but I can't recommend it highly enough as a CD player.

T

the record spot

Spacehopper:
I notice you have a K2 amp, I plumped for a Caspian Integrated and paired it with a Arcam DV135 DVD/CD/SACD player and I'm still amazed at how good it sounds, a good combo for me. I think you can pick one up for around £250 (was £900 when it came out ! ) and according to the WHF review is a cracking CD player and I agree. Check out the review

http://whathifi.com/Review/Arcam-DiVA-DV135/

I'd second this - it majors on music with the DACs Arcam stuck in it apparently, plus, if you ever get to the stage you want to add a small telly to that second room, you get a decent DVD player as well.

Prior to getting the Marantz CDP I now have, I spent a few weeks last summer mulling over a shortlist and the DV135 was on it. Got the SA7001-KI at half price though and went for that one - too good to pass up!

EDIT: Just did a quick check online and apparently Sevenoaks in Maidstone have new and boxed DV135s for £299. Good price given plenty of others are still looking for £450 and upwards for the same thing.

A

Anonymous

What's wrong with your 6002?

I heard it this weekend and it sounded very good to me - in fact better than CA DacMagic+Apple Lossless..., and was thinking whether I should get one.

EDIT: If you do decide to part with it - i might be interested.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The 73 can be had for £240 brand new but I personally would simply save for your CD37. If you want a DVD then go for that but having a DV79 myself, I know that it's not a patch on my CD192 for music (although it plays DVDs much better ;-))

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
NAD has a brand new upsampling CD player. The C565bee. Uses Wolfson DACs in dual differential mode. Also has digital input and USB input for use as a DAC for digial music. This is their new flagship CD player for their classic series. This would be worth a listen as it is bargain priced when compared to similar kit from other manufacturers.

The NAD C545bee (next model down) just got a 5 star rating from WHF.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Shuggie, I'm not an expert on any of this kit, but I had a listen to a PS Audio DAC and the difference to my MF XRay V8 was phenomenal. I also had a MF DAC with my last Rotel CD player, and again the difference was substantial. They just seem able to pick up more detail in the music, and add depth. My wife even noticed the difference with teh PS Audio DAC, saying that the music sounded 'wider', and I know what she was getting at. Might be worthwhile speaking to your local hi-fi shop and see what they recommend. From my experience it's worth a try.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou all again for the feedback. I think on balance, I'll probably get a DAC for now, while I save for a CD37/Cyrus 8se, and the DAC can then go into the AV setup to make the computer sound better.

Now all I need to decide is Arcam vs Cyrus to go with the K2 and GS10's..................

A

Anonymous

chainrock:

What's wrong with your 6002?

I heard it this weekend and it sounded very good to me - in fact better than CA DacMagic+Apple Lossless..., and was thinking whether I should get one.

EDIT: If you do decide to part with it - i might be interested.

Chainrock, There's nothing wrong with the 6002, it's a great player, and I've been very happy with it for the last year. I bought it when my old Marantz CD42 died, to fill the gap in my old system. The plan was always to upgrade to the next level with all the components, which I have recently done with Amp + Speakers. I now want to get a CDP that does justice to the rest of the new system, and will use the Marantz with the old Amp + Speakers as a second room solution. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 6002 if you were thinking of getting one, but a combination of my need for a second room system and forum rules prevents me from offering mine up for sale.

Best of luck with your purchase,

Shuggie

A

Anonymous

Update

Well, thanks again for all the advice. A CD192 came up on fleabay, brand new, from sevenoaks in Brighton, for 500 quid. Couldn't resist. I'll keep you updated how it sounds with the Roksan/MA combo.

Shuggie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts