CD Player for Obelisk 2

Seph

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I have had an Obelisk 2 paired with JBW Sonatas for about 20 years and to be honest I've always enjoyed the crisp detail it generates for my ear.

1 of the speakers has developed a buzz on bass notes so I have been doing some reading on these forums regarding Obelisk amps and compatible speakers.

The name Royd popped up, so I got a pair of Minstrels.

My question now is can anyone suggest a CD player for about £250ish?

Thanks.

Seph.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Seph said:
Hi All,

I have had an Obelisk 2 paired with JBW Sonatas for about 20 years and to be honest I've always enjoyed the crisp detail it generates for my ear.

1 of the speakers has developed a buzz on bass notes so I have been doing some reading on these forums regarding Obelisk amps and compatible speakers.

The name Royd popped up, so I got a pair of Minstrels.

My question now is can anyone suggest a CD player for about £250ish?

Thanks.

Seph.

MAybe Marantz 6004 if you can find one or 6005 is not much more. Also look at TEAC PD-H01 CD PLAYER they are sold more in pro shops than Hifi dealers they get generally good reviews from users, about £200.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I used to have the Obelisk 1 with a pair of Minstrels, but then one channel in the amp blew, so I threw the amp away!! I think Marantz is a good choice, or a 2nd-hand Arcam. How much did you pay for the Royd's?

Seph

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thabks BigH,

Already been looking at Marantz, used to have 67SE if memory serves me with this amp and speakers,

cse, I paid £118.98 on ebay, a little bit of repair work to do but happy as the next best was £230.

Would something like a used Cyrus or Roksan be a better path, more for less sort of thing?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Good price. I think a Cyrus or Roksan would also be fine, or maybe Rotel which also makes solid CD players. I tend though, to have alot of faith in Japenese CD players, whilst prefering British amps and speakers. I currently have a Marantz Cd player, Roksan amp and Neat speakers. Having said that, I very much enjoyed my Micromega Stage 4 CD player (French) and regret selling for around £170, as it produced a wonderful neutral analogue sound. I woud definitely lookout and recommen one, in any 'Stage' form.

Seph

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well there some food for thought, I'll have a hunt around and see what comes up! Thanks for the suggestion chaps.

Cheers,

Seph.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts