Question CD Player Conundrum

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
So, I'm in the market for a new (additional) CD player and I've narrowed my choice down to two models:
...but it's more complicated than it seems - hence I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.

1. Which one would you say is better at face value, disregarding any pairing or other questions?

2. I currently have one system but I need an additional, smaller setup for my office (consisting of some older components I still have). Which option would you go for, of the ones given below:
    • Pair the Denon CD player with my existing living room setup (Denon PMA 1600NE amp, Triangle floorstanders) and move its current Marantz CD-6006 to the office. Additional problem: My amp is black, the corresponding black DCD-900NE currently retails for a whopping £85 more compared to its silver sibling (at least here in Switzerland) at every vendor's I'm aware of. So £85 extra for matching colours, aye or nay?
    • Get the Yamaha CD player for the office, where it would partner with a vintage Yamaha AX-500 amp (and vintage T&A bookshelf speakers), and leave the living room setting as it is?
    • Additional info: Pricing for the three player options in Switzerland is currently as follows:
      • Denon DCD-900NE black: £390
      • Denon DCD-900NE silver: £305
      • Yamaha CD-S303 black: £315
      • (Yamaha CD-S303 silver: £290)

twinkletoes

TBH I dot think it matters, all CD players are much of a muchness, You'd have to have very keen ears to hear the differences.

Get what you like the look of and see which system it sounds best with.

Personally Id get none of them and buy a second hand DVD player off eBay and put it on the office system, probably cost 30 euros. A nice pioneer 565a would do the job nicely

but from your list a the Yamaha its the cheapest

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
So, I'm in the market for a new (additional) CD player and I've narrowed my choice down to two models:
...but it's more complicated than it seems - hence I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.

1. Which one would you say is better at face value, disregarding any pairing or other questions?

2. I currently have one system but I need an additional, smaller setup for my office (consisting of some older components I still have). Which option would you go for, of the ones given below:
    • Pair the Denon CD player with my existing living room setup (Denon PMA 1600NE amp, Triangle floorstanders) and move its current Marantz CD-6006 to the office. Additional problem: My amp is black, the corresponding black DCD-900NE currently retails for a whopping £85 more compared to its silver sibling (at least here in Switzerland) at every vendor's I'm aware of. So £85 extra for matching colours, aye or nay?
    • Get the Yamaha CD player for the office, where it would partner with a vintage Yamaha AX-500 amp (and vintage T&A bookshelf speakers), and leave the living room setting as it is?
    • Additional info: Pricing for the three player options in Switzerland is currently as follows:
I'm on my way out so can't answer fully but it became immediately apparent that if your happy with the living room setup then I wouldn't be changing anything and look to your options for suitable CDP for your office.

It's rediculas that sellers put a premium on the more popular colour.
I'd be tempted to get out the sand paper and spray paint if it wasn't the facia aswell.

It's more about tonal differences and possibly ergonomics rather than which is our preference.

I love my Exposure CD 2010, there's no reason why the latest incarnation should be any different.

Reactions: Al ears

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Why Amazon Germany when you have no idea where the OP lives??
The fact he is quoting prices in pounds Sterling should be a hint... :)
You obviously did not read his whole message :) : "Additional info: Pricing for the three player options in Switzerland".
So I guess he is in Switzerland. But maybe he will suffer import costs, I am not sure about that.

You obviously did not read his whole message :) : "Additional info: Pricing for the three player options in Switzerland".
So I guess he is in Switzerland. But maybe he will suffer import costs, I am not sure about that.
My apologies, I completely missed that. You are correct assuming they don't slap a tax on imports from Germany.
I still think he is better off simply buying a CD Transport, the Audiolab 6000CDT should be available within his budget.
I could never understand anyone buying an amplifier with functions they are never going to use. Economic madness....

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
My apologies, I completely missed that. You are correct assuming they don't slap a tax on imports from Germany.
I still think he is better off simply buying a CD Transport, the Audiolab 6000CDT should be available within his budget.
I could never understand anyone buying an amplifier with functions they are never going to use. Economic madness....

The Audiolab is a bit more expensive. I can see your point about economic madness but as transporters are usually made for audiophiles who believe they produce better sound, they usually also cost more so in the end you usually end up spending more than less when you buy a transporter.
Of course the most important question being: what product (CD player, transporter or amp) has the best dac and is the difference audible? Not so easy to quickly find out I guess, unless you already have all three.

The Audiolab is a bit more expensive. I can see your point about economic madness but as transporters are usually made for audiophiles who believe they produce better sound, they usually also cost more so in the end you usually end up spending more than less when you buy a transporter.
Of course the most important question being: what product (CD player, transporter or amp) has the best dac and is the difference audible? Not so easy to quickly find out I guess, unless you already have all three.
I take your point but the important bit is the CD transport does not have a DAC...

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Specs-wise, I definitely prefer the Denon, especially weighing in at ~"twice" the kilos/pounds. However, the reviews at amazondotcom favor the Yamaha easily. Don't know Swiss retail, but if I wanted one of them in the US, I'd order two like-news from the Amazon Warehouse and return one.

My bias/preference: my last CD purchase was a used Sony ES unit from eebei.

Enjoy your shopping and your eventual player.