CD player & amp combo advice...

MusicalRabbit

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I'd like a bit of advice from forum members, please. My previous system was a Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player, an Audio Innovations amplifier and a pair of Ruark Icon speakers on some quality stands. The overall sound was extremely detailed, with great imagery, if just a little bright.

The amp had several repairs over the years and finally gave up on me so I decided to sell it along with the X-Ray. I’ve kept the excellent Ruark Icons and sometime this year I’m looking at £1000, give or take £100, for a new CD player and amp combo.

My last albums I bought were Fleet Foxes, Of Monsters and Men, Bat for Lashes, Lana Del Rey. I prefer my musical presentation detailed with warmth and finesse without smothering everything with thunderous bass. The system is to be used for serious listening in a small lounge with a physical collection. Not interested in streaming as my digital files will stay where the PC is for casual listening, MP3 players, etc. Having said that, I want to be fairly forward thinking, which is why I’m taken with the Audiolab 8200CD.

So far my audition shortlist is:

1. Audiolab 8200CD with Rotel RA-10

2. Rega Apollo R with Rega Brio R

3. Audiolab 8200CD with Rega Brio R

Hopefully these should fall within budget with a bit of polite haggling at time of purchase.

Any advice on what other combo’s I should consider would be very much appreciated!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have generally found that rega cd players seem to give of their best with Rega amps, and taking your speakers along to a dealers to have a listen would be a good idea.

A comination that does not get a lot of mention would be the Yamaha CDS700 and AS 700. I heard the recently through a pair of Spendor A6e and the sound was a really good combination of 'easy' detail, very musical and involving. I would imagine that it was the sort of system that you could listen to for a long time.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why not try the Audiolab 8200 amp as well. Or the Audiolab 8200 cdp and 8200 P, a bit over your budget but you can see if worth the difference, look out for ex-demo gear. Or you can try a cheaper cd player like the Marantz 6004 with those amps you mention. The new Arcam amp may suit you as well or Creek both about £600.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the best system would be Audiolab 8200 cdp with the new Arcam FMJ A19 amp. To which later you could add the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. I have this system myself at present minus the Arcam amplifier, which I hope to get soon.

MusicalRabbit

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Some interesting combos that chime with my thoughts. I've liked the new Arcam combo and Audiolab combo but both stretch the budget that's tight already. May keep an eye out for ex demonstration but would prefer new for the warranty protection.

Cheers!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well only way to tell is home demos. I think the Rega may suit you. The new Arcam amp. sounded pretty good in my short demo. I heard the aUDIOLAB CD PLAYER BUT TO BE HONEST IT DID NOT SOUND ANY BETTER THAN MY maRANTZ 63SE. I think the Rotel RA-10 has been replaced by the 12 now, from what I have heard it canbe a bit harsh. In that price range I would look at the Marantz Pearl Lite amp which is reduced to £670 now.i

MusicalRabbit

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I'm quite taken with the Arcam combo, that being the (FMJ) CD17 & A19. From what I've read they both sound warm and detailed but together may be a bit too sluggish. The idea here is the Ruark's I have are a touch on the bright side so may lift things out of any audio mire to reach a pleasently warm, extremely detailed, sound. The same principle I'm hoping to gain from the Rega Brio R and Apollo R combo.

I've also got my eye on the latest Creek offerings that were suggested they may retail at around £500 a piece. But I've read they may be nearer £700 for both the amp and probably the cd player if it ever makes an appearance. That makes it a fair bit out of my budget.

I'll wait until later in the year before I start auditioning my shortlist, see what new releases do with prices and such.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts