CD Player advice please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:
I agree that going down the DAC route could be a good move but for standalone CD players the NAD C545BEE does a very good job indeed (and I agree that it's a better purchase over the C565BEE as the 'extras' just really arent worth it IMO).

For me though the Arcam CD192 CD player is superb and is very hard to beat under £500 currently IMO

If you can find a decent one on eBay and the likes then you'd have a great set-up
emotion-1.gif

Hi hifilover1979

But the CD192 can be bettered upon by Arcams own Alpha 9 cdp
emotion-3.gif
which i feel is their finest digital and overall product to date
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I can see where you're coming from but dont agree

Having owned an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP for many years and now owning the CD192; the latter is the better.

A much more open and detailed soundstage but with non of the lazy warmness that I felt that Alpha 9 had sometimes.

Before you ask; yes I've listened to them side by side and the CD192 still pipped the Alpha 9
emotion-11.gif

Hi hifilover1979

I thought i had better let you answer the first question before asking another one
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Haha... No worries Rick
emotion-11.gif

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about that one, but it's quite a fair bit more expensive than the Arcam DD17 which is currently on special offer.

I think that need to demo a few machines with my current set-up to see which one fits my needs best.

Cheers for the opinions.

A

Anonymous

Remember to use your ears and do a compare of yours to the new pretender. All these reviews are other peoples opinion - often they are good, but the proof is always in the listening. As long as you can, and at home where you are relaxed to really listen.

A

Anonymous

FWIW I have directly compared an Arcam CD192 and a CD17. In my opinion the CD17 with the latest WM8741 DAC wipes the floor with the CD192, it made the 192 sound boring, unemotional, flat. The CD17 is in an FMJ chassis whilst the CD192 is in lower-quality DIVA metalwork.

It's worth noting that whilst Arcam can fix a lot of stuff some of the older CD mechs/lasers simply aren't available any more.

T

the record spot

Off-topic, but Hifi Test Monkey, are you employed as a reviewer?

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the advice. I'm really keen on the CD17 I must say, but would like to hear it side by side with the Rotel CD06-SE. I realise that the older version of the CD06 didn't get rave reviews, but perhaps with the upgraded components, there might be some improvements?

Not sure what it would be like compared to the Arcam though?

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Off-topic, but Hifi Test Monkey, are you employed as a reviewer?

Nope, but I have been involved with the technicalities of recording or reproducing music the whole of my professional life. I'll only give my personal opinions on kit I have actually heard. My interest in posting is purely personal, I enjoy forums as much as the next geek and I do not want to post as any kind of spokesperson or PR guy (which I am not).

I am a member of the Audio Engineering Society
emotion-11.gif
and I have a Masters degree in Electronic Engineering.

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Just for info, I finally bought an Arcam CD17 just before the end of the sales at a great price, and I'm chuffed to bits!! So much more detailled that the HK, much warmer/sweeter sound and much better control of dynamics - IMHO.

Cheers for all the advice everyone!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts