CD Player advice please

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Even although I'm new to these forums, I've been searching through WHF for ages trying to find some answers - to no avail, and would appreciate someone else's advice.

I've had a Harman Kardon HD970 cd player for a few years now and I'm considering an upgrade. I have the Rotel RA06-SE amp with B&W 685 speakers, and all the appropriate interconnects, but I'm not sure which CD player to look at, or even if it's worth changing it at all....

The obvious choices I suppose are the Marrantz CD6003 or the Rotel RCD06-SE, but would I really notice a difference in sound quality?

It's clear that WHF and certain other publications are not big fans of the HK CD player, but I've seen other articles where it got rave reviews, even compared to the Cambridge 840C. So now I'm really confused.

My budget would be around £400-500. I listen to a lot of rock, jazz, pop rock on both CD format and MP3.

I'm also going to be investing in a set of Partington stands in the very near future as a modest upgrade to my basic ones today.

Your advice and experience would be greatly appreciated..... :)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Within your set budget, what about the NAD C565? This is one of the best pure CD players we've heard at this level. The Audiolab 8000CD may still be available within budget which was always one of my favourites for rock music.

If you can stretch the budget a little more to something a future proof, the Audiolab 8200CD includes a myryad of digital inputs to act as CD player and hub for your other digital sources. If you don't need the extra features though the NAD is the best within budget IMHO

pudscud76:

Even although I'm new to these forums, I've been searching through WHF for ages trying to find some answers - to no avail, and would appreciate someone else's advice.

I've had a Harman Kardon HD970 cd player for a few years now and I'm considering an upgrade. I have the Rotel RA06-SE amp with B&W 685 speakers, and all the appropriate interconnects, but I'm not sure which CD player to look at, or even if it's worth changing it at all....

The obvious choices I suppose are the Marrantz CD6003 or the Rotel RCD06-SE, but would I really notice a difference in sound quality?

It's clear that WHF and certain other publications are not big fans of the HK CD player, but I've seen other articles where it got rave reviews, even compared to the Cambridge 840C. So now I'm really confused.

My budget would be around £400-500. I listen to a lot of rock, jazz, pop rock on both CD format and MP3.

I'm also going to be investing in a set of Partington stands in the very near future as a modest upgrade to my basic ones today.

Your advice and experience would be greatly appreciated..... :)

Rather predictable and going against the grain of opinion, look at ex-dem Arcam CD17 or DIVA CD192 s/hand. I know from personal experience Rotel and Arcam are an excellent match.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The NAD C545 according to the official review on this website is even better than the C565 (!)

The Marantz Pearl Lite can also be obtained for a very reasonable price and includes DAC inputs.

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the all replies.

I'd love to buy the Audiolab 8200, but I reckon that would stretch the budget a bit too much.

I've been told by certain HiFi dealers that the NAD wouldn't necessarily be the most approriate CD player for my system in terms of tonal compatability? Not actually heard the NAD myself, so cannot give an opinion. But it's clear that WHF gives them good reviews.

I'm intrigued by the Arcam proposal. It wasn't something that I had considered before. And if Arcam is well suited to my system, this could be an interesting option to pursue.

I've found a couple of good deals on the CD17 (new) but there seems to be far more older Arcam CDPs out there second hand.

Better to get a new CD17 or an older 37/192 etc?

I've also seen some people talking about upgrades to Arcam machines?

Could anyone enlighten me?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
If you can accommodate the top loading system, I'd also try to hear the Rega Apollo. I thought it was good when I heard it - comparable with the Arcam CD17 - although not as revealing as the Saturn I chose in the end.

T

the record spot

Heard the Harman HD990 last summer. Well worth an audition and the price is in your bracket. Down from £500 to the likes of £300 in some places (Home Cinema Centre for one). It has a similar tech spec to the Cambridge 840C - balanced XLRs and all - has a good onboard DAC and sounds the business. Give it a whirl if you get the chance.

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I thought about the Rega, but unfortunately I don't have the space for this. Interesting to know that the sound quality of the CD17 is similar to that of the Apollo.

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
So is it fair to say that it would be a good move to replace the HD970? Between the HD990 and Arcam CD17, what would be best? You can find the CD17 at about £460 at the moment, which seems to me to be a fairly good deal?

A

Anonymous

I don't mean to spoil the party, but having heard both the 970 and 990 (and reading their reviews), I think buying the 990 is only an optical change to your system, not an audio upgrade. I think both are great players for the money, so IMO you'd have to aim higher than a budget Marantz to better it. Can't comment on the Arcams though.

Jack

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking along the same lines as you Jack. The Arcam CD17 that Plastic Penguin proposed is really tempting.... I must try and audition it ASAP. :)

Ahhh the benefits of forums and the advice of others :)

pudscud76:
I'm thinking along the same lines as you Jack. The Arcam CD17 that Plastic Penguin proposed is really tempting.... I must try and audition it ASAP. :)

Ahhh the benefits of forums and the advice of others :)

Hi pudscud76

Looking at this from a different angle how about using a DAC to use in conjunction with your HK cdp. Within your budget i'll highly recommend Rega's new DAC which performs to an even higher level then their already superb Apollo cd player.

Btw, if you are happy to consider used components then i'll highly recommend Arcam's superb Alpha 9 cdp. Fwiw, i feel the Alpha 9 cdp is their finest digital and overall product to date. The excellent Marantz CD63 KI cd player is also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

matthewpiano

pudscud76:So is it fair to say that it would be a good move to replace the HD970? Between the HD990 and Arcam CD17, what would be best? You can find the CD17 at about £460 at the moment, which seems to me to be a fairly good deal?

The CD17 is a superb player. I am delighted with mine.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Since I have a similar or will have a similar setup (pick up my 1st hifi today!) Rotel RA06se + B&W 684.....I will be using a CA DVD/CD Audio Player for the time being. Looking to upgrade in future, but what I want to know, will a dedicated CD Player (£300 - £400) give better results than if I bought a DAC i.e The DACMagic?

If you have a look at the spec of my DVD Player, Cambridge Audio DVD57....its hard to tell the difference apart from a shoddy DAC convertor.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I havent heard the Arcam cd17 but according to the what hifi review, it said it was a good player but the excitement factor is missing a bit. If it replaced the arcam cd73t which I have listen to quite a bit, and if its in the similar mold soundwise it would be great for classical and jazz but when it came to pop and modern rock the arcam cd73t lacked a bit of sparkle and get up and go (excitement). I found the rega apollo and creek evo a better sounding player for around the same money.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:
Hi pudscud76

Looking at this from a different angle how about using a DAC to use in conjunction with your HK cdp. Within your budget i'll highly recommend Rega's new DAC which performs to an even higher level then their already superb Apollo cd player.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

This is a good call, but I seem to remember reading that the transport of the mark II version of the HK player was the weak link. Worth looking into if you consider going down this route.

Jack

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the idea Musicraft. Hmmmm another interesting development......

So I'd be able to use my HD970 as an input source (RCA)? for this DAC? Would the HD970 be a "good enough" input source, even although the DAC will rehash everything afterwards, I suppose?

I like the idea of being able to integrate other music input sources, but I wouldn't be a big fan of having my PC humming away in the background all day in order to feed in the music...

You can probably tell that I'm not at all an expert in this area!!! :d Maybe there are other solutions?

Cheers

pudscud76:
Thanks for the idea Musicraft. Hmmmm another interesting development......

So I'd be able to use my HD970 as an input source (RCA)? for this DAC? Would the HD970 be a "good enough" input source, even although the DAC will rehash everything afterwards, I suppose?

I like the idea of being able to integrate other music input sources, but I wouldn't be a big fan of having my PC humming away in the background all day in order to feed in the music...

You can probably tell that I'm not at all an expert in this area!!! :d Maybe there are other solutions?

Cheers

Hi pudscud76

Your welcome.

You would use the digital output from your HK cdp and feed the digital signal into Rega's DAC for for it to work its magic. Connecting another source via the USB port can also achieve a superb level of performance
emotion-1.gif

Fwiw, even though Rega's new DAC only came through in middle of December i felt the product as whole was so good it got my digital and overall product of 2010
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I agree that going down the DAC route could be a good move but for standalone CD players the NAD C545BEE does a very good job indeed (and I agree that it's a better purchase over the C565BEE as the 'extras' just really arent worth it IMO).

For me though the Arcam CD192 CD player is superb and is very hard to beat under £500 currently IMO

If you can find a decent one on eBay and the likes then you'd have a great set-up
emotion-1.gif

hifilover1979:
I agree that going down the DAC route could be a good move but for standalone CD players the NAD C545BEE does a very good job indeed (and I agree that it's a better purchase over the C565BEE as the 'extras' just really arent worth it IMO).

For me though the Arcam CD192 CD player is superb and is very hard to beat under £500 currently IMO

If you can find a decent one on eBay and the likes then you'd have a great set-up
emotion-1.gif

Hi hifilover1979

But the CD192 can be bettered upon by Arcams own Alpha 9 cdp
emotion-3.gif
which i feel is their finest digital and overall product to date
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm just listening to my HK HD970 and there a few drop outs (unwanted pauses) during playback???? I don't know if it's giving up the ghost, or a problem with the CD disk? So the DAC option with the HD970 might not be the best option????

For a DAC unit, if you want to play anything other than CD disks or Ipod stuff, do you need to have the PC running all the time?

For the standalone CDP, better a new CD17 or a 2nd hand CD192?

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:

emotion-1.gif

Hi hifilover1979

emotion-3.gif
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I can see where you're coming from but dont agree

Having owned an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP for many years and now owning the CD192; the latter is the better.

A much more open and detailed soundstage but with non of the lazy warmness that I felt that Alpha 9 had sometimes.

Before you ask; yes I've listened to them side by side and the CD192 still pipped the Alpha 9
emotion-11.gif

pudscud76

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
But isn't the Alpha 9 "old hat" by today's standards? Or is it a bit of a wold in sheeps clothing, even compared to the newest Arcam models today?

hifilover1979:MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:

emotion-1.gif

Hi hifilover1979

emotion-3.gif
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I can see where you're coming from but dont agree

Having owned an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP for many years and now owning the CD192; the latter is the better.

A much more open and detailed soundstage but with non of the lazy warmness that I felt that Alpha 9 had sometimes.

Before you ask; yes I've listened to them side by side and the CD192 still pipped the Alpha 9
emotion-11.gif

Hi hifilover1979

I thought i had better let you answer the first question before asking another one
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

pudscud76:But isn't the Alpha 9 "old hat" by today's standards? Or is it a bit of a wold in sheeps clothing, even compared to the newest Arcam models today?

Yeah it's an older CDP but they're still damned good
emotion-5.gif

The trouble is finding one that hasnt developed any issues due to their age but they can be 'serviced' by Arcam but that costs as well so going for a modern player like the CD192 can be a better overall option too!

The Arcam CD192 stands well above the FMJ CD17. To me the CD17 is a fluid player but it lacks the overall soundstage that the CD192 has; plus the depth of music as well.

For the Arcam CD17 money I'd rather go for the Rega Apollo but you've already mentioned you dont have the room for one of those!

The CDP's mentioned do need to be demo'd but for me the DiVA CD192 is VERY hard to beat!

If you want to same some £££ though have a nosey round for an Arcam DiVA CD72, 73T or the CD92
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts