CD on Denon BDP 2012 sounds better than Flac on Onkyo 8050. What do you think?

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody. I would like to share my first impression about my new upgrade.

Just a week ago I have upgraded my universal Sony BDP S-580 player into Denon 2012 and I must say What a difference. My needs are 20% movies and 80 % music also 10 (at the moment) SACDs to play. Therefore I have chosen Denon over CA and OPPO (little brothers) based on better sound quality.

Denon does not have Sony’s S-580 streaming feature, but I don’t need them, Bravia has them all. Denon is much slower and very delicate then Sony, but that doesn’t bother me. Most importantly is how it sounds. I linked it to my beloved Onkyo 8050 and I started with Dire Straits SACD. I was listening it over and over again. I could not believe how brilliantly it sounds. What strike me most was clear crisp stereo definition, instrument separation and timing. Different drums ease to distinguish , bass is so controlled. I realized that Onkyo and 685’s needed and deserve a good source to shine in full colours.

Then I have dig out my CDs and ones again the same story. Actually It sounded better then the same FLAC streamed on Onkyo. Stereo is accurate and fast. Sound is more refined. I find myself getting more and more CD’s from boxes just to hear more detail. However Denon highlighted difference in CD recording quality. For example very well made Sting CD sounded nearly as good as ‘badly’ made Norah Jones SACD.

I have burned some of my Hi-Res tracks into Audio DVD and tried it with Denon. Ones again in some of tracks Denon unraveled more detail, than Onkyo. IMO It shows that Burr Brown DAC in Denon is doing better job than Onkyo’s one.

What are your experiences? Does your upgraded CD sources sounds better than FLAC streamed with cheaper streamer or receiver and do you find yourself diging out you old CD's for better sound?

T

the record spot

It depends; what the mastering was like, which is my main thing, though I find that using the Panasonic BDT-110, through the optical link off the TV (and via the HDMI) gives me a better sound quality than from the CDP via analogue cables. Compared my much favoured Barry Diament mastered Trick of the Tail and an original The Wall CD on Harvest and they enjoyed a better presentation that suited my ears than the Marantz. On the other hand, the 8050's 48/96 DAC is well implemented I think. That said, a £500 Blu-Ray player's going to do alright too, so depends on the DAC, which sounds like a good one. Glad you're happy with it.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
It depends; what the mastering was like, which is my main thing, though I find that using the Panasonic BDT-110, through the optical link off the TV (and via the HDMI) gives me a better sound quality than from the CDP via analogue cables.

Interesting way to get a new dimension to the sound. So TV volume should be set on 0 than....

T

the record spot

Not intended that way, but the hassle of changing cables from one box to the amp...meh! Works a treat and sounds fine. TV's either set to stereo or 0 output. Can't remember which. HDMI from the Panny to the TV, the optical runs from the Sony TV to the amp. Job done. :)

A

Anonymous

Hello Darius,

did you conect Denon in stereo CD listening with analogue RCAs?

I am interested in buying 2012, but only if it sounds great over stereo analogues...

Thanks!

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi luka3rd,

In my case Denon’s Burn Brown Dac doing better job than Onkyo’s one, therefore I connect stereo analogues into 2ch stereo out and in sound configuration set stereo 2.1 option. Unless you have superior external dac you then use digital coaxial output and use Denon as transport only. Bear in mind that digital coaxial outputs up to 16/48 bits only so you downmixing SACD and Blue ray sound from 24/96 bit.

I made some DVD audio CDs from my substantial list of hi-res files, so by using Denon’s onboard dac and analogue connection I enjoy full 24/96 bit resolution. The same to be said with blue ray movie soundtracks and SACD as well.

TRENDING THREADS