CD memories.

Way back in the dim and distant there was a reoccurring permanence with a plethora of CDs, in the 90s especially, had these wonderful bonus additions. There was no mention on the sleeves, yet the CDP counter, once the last track had passed, and about 5 mins later, these extra 2 or 3 tracks were audible.

Newer recordings don't seem to have carried that on...

Shame really.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Way back in the dim and distant there was a reoccurring permanence with a plethora of CDs, in the 90s especially, had these wonderful bonus additions. There was no mention on the sleeves, yet the CDP counter, once the last track had passed, and about 5 mins later, these extra 2 or 3 tracks were audible.

Shame really.

I remember those. I used to forget about the extra tracks and if I was dozing off I'd get the fright of my life when a new track suddenly came on after several minutes of silence!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I think my wifes Robbie Williams CDs all have hidden tracks.

I also remember that the older Uncut magazine free CDs all used to have clips from films tagged on to the end.

I once bought a CD many years ago by a group called Lift To Experience and one of the tracks consisted of 25+ minutes of total silence. I bought the CD on the back of hearing one track on an Uncut CD. That track was OK but the rest of the double CD was truly the worst music I'd ever heard. Gave it away after a week.

Heart attack inducing CDs. There you are , drifting off to slumberland, it's been totally silent for five minutes (cos your listening to cd) then all of a sudden..... Boom... Bonus material. Baring in mind most of my CDs are of the heavy metal variety, I don't half get a shock.

at least when you play vinyl, you get the repetitive click to wake you up as the stylus reaches the end of the record... A much more pleasant awakening.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's worse when it isn't music. I always remember a CD (Kula Shaker, I think) that had several minutes silence, then some voices that were distorted like a bad CD radio - not so bad when you listen to it, but if you're approaching being out for the count, it's a tad freaky!

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Way back in the dim and distant there was a reoccurring permanence with a plethora of CDs, in the 90s especially, had these wonderful bonus additions. There was no mention on the sleeves, yet the CDP counter, once the last track had passed, and about 5 mins later, these extra 2 or 3 tracks were audible.?

Shame really.

Couldn't disagree more. Long gaps of silence before 'hidden tracks' are just annoying as fcuk.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
"The Offspring" used to have some doozies. Here's another one (and potentially more obscure): do you remember when they used to hide messages in the sleeves? Id est: on the inside of the spine?

SteveR750

stevee1966 said:
plastic penguin said:

Shame really.

Couldn't disagree more. Long gaps of silence before 'hidden tracks' are just annoying as fcuk.

Totally off topic, but you'ra another Steve with a number in his name, yours is what mine also *should* be because of my DoB. And you own the same amp as I did up until a couple of months ago. Spooky huh?

...Sorry, it's a slow afternoon.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
plastic penguin said:

Shame really.

+1 (and not just because we share the same username ;) )

It is annoying. All of my CD rips now have the silent sections removed (thank you Audacity).

Bobby

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Kylie "Light Years" - you have to backtrack the first track to get to the hidden track called 'Password'

Dannii Minogue "Neon Nights" - hidden track in the last song 'Come And Get It'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:

If they're still audible, then they're not hidden well enough. *blum3*

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:

If they're still audible, then they're not hidden well enough. *blum3*

Luckily she couldn't care less about Robbie Williams these days. She's very fickle with regards music, and now unfortunately the flavour of the month is Sam Smith who has one of the most annoying voices I've heard.

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
There is one album i that unusaully has the hidden track in front of track 1. You need to start playing the cd then rewind it. Problem is i can not remember. I keep thinking Nirvana i'll do a google search.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
...unfortunately the flavour of the month is Sam Smith who has one of the most annoying voices I've heard.

He does make some great northern beers though

beer.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
DIB said:
...unfortunately the flavour of the month is Sam Smith who has one of the most annoying voices I've heard.

He does make some great northern beers though

I salute you Major. Clearly a man after my own heart.

The wife and I had an overnight stop in Haworth, Yorkshire last week. What a fine selection of ales on offer.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I always thought the record companys did the hidden track thing to extend a CD's perceived MB size and to stop you recording a CD on to a CD-R or CD-RW (back in the day!). Any truth in that?

TRENDING THREADS