CD discs- Quality classical musical

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I finally bought a good quality system-- Musical Fidelity XT100 amp + XRay V8 CDP + Focal 807V speakers.
It was thanks to the forum.<p>

Now I need to buy good quality CDs. I've learnt already that a good brand e.g. DGG doesn't necessarily mean a good recording.

How do I find good quality recording CDs? (There is not much opportunity to to go CD shops and listen to the CDs on the spot. The CD shops where I live have little choice and low price-range CDs mostly).

John Duncan

You buy a book which recommends good recordings. I started with the Idiot's Guide to Classical Music, which contains a short list of good recordings at the back. But there's another I forget - it may be produced by some other magazine - "Grampyphile" or something. Which sounds, well, wrong.

Andrew, got any ideas?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at ClassicalNet or the WH Smiths site. Amazon too has its own reviews of all its stock.

Also most hi-fi mags have a music review feature which comments on recording quality.

John Duncan

PS - do MF still pack a copy of Michael Michael-Michaelson's (or whatever his name is - I forget - the MF owner) recording of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A with the X-Ray? That's very good.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]PS - do MF still pack a copy of Michael Michael-Michaelson's (or whatever his name is - I forget - the MF owner) recording of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A with the X-Ray? That's very good.[/quote]

No CD came with the MF.

A

Anonymous

I buy quite a few classical cds and the best way i've found is to read as many reviews (gramophone, amazon etc.) before you buy. FYI i've found all the Sony ones (e.g. Murray Periah) to be very good quality. Had good results with Decca re-issues too.I must also mention that all the HMV 'Classics' cds I've bought (Stravinsky, Arvo Partr, Bach violin concertos) have all been top notch sound, as well as great value and performances. jules.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you should have got a copy of AM's disc with the player, unless they've run out. I'm sure if you call either MF or the retailer where you bought it they'll be able to supply you with a copy - it's well worth a listen or two.

Your best bet for recommended recordings is this little website, which has a searchable database of reviews going back to the first days of the CD. The magazine responsible for it is useful, too - and even has some rather good hi-fi and home cinema tests, too, I gather...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I'm pretty sure you should have got a copy of AM's disc with the player, unless they've run out. I'm sure if you call either MF or the retailer where you bought it they'll be able to supply you with a copy - it's well worth a listen or two.

Your best bet for recommended recordings is this little website, which has a searchable database of reviews going back to the first days of the CD. The magazine responsible for it is useful, too - and even has some rather good hi-fi and home cinema tests, too, I gather...

[/quote]

Good spot... how ever did you find that site?
emotion-43.gif

John Duncan

Oooo I just got a mail notifying me of this reply for the very first time ever - have the developers been beavering away?

Better turn the option off though, else my mail box'll be full by the end of the day...........

Second Andrew's recommendation of the disc though - I hadn't heard that concerto until that disc popped out of the box, is really well done, and is a constant on my iPod - the Allegro especially.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I was just going to post the same thing - my first ever email notification.

Was watching the Proms late last nighty - Proker,, Prokevie... that Russian composer was good innit.

John Duncan

The mail says:

To unsubscribe, either:

Visit the above URL and deselect 'Email me when someone replies...'
Visit your user profile page and uncheck 'Enable email tracking'

Neither of which options exists.........

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I quite like having emails because I can read replies there before deciding whether or not to go to the thread. But I guess frequent posters to most parts of the forum would be inundated.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="allon"]
Anybody got any more advice about the CD topic?
[/quote]

No, but I sympathise entirely, as I find the variable quality of CDs to be extremely annoying, although given my preferred genres of music, it's probably more due to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

Since I recently upgraded my Hi Fi, some of my CDs have become nigh-on unlistenable to (yes, Foo Fighters, I'm looking at you).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts