CD/Amp/floorstander combo around 2k

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I’m looking to upgrade my current CD player, stereo amplifier and loudspeakers. I have a budget of around 2k and my initial thoughts are audiolab 6000CDT/6000a combo with MA silver 200’s. My only concern is does the 6000a have enough power (50w per channel into 8ohms) to effectively drive the MA’s (89db 8ohms)? Or do I need more juice with something like the audiolab, 8300a (with ext DAC) or Rotel A14?

Current set up is:
CD player - Rotel RCD 951
Turntable - Rega P1
Amplifier - Rotel Ra-04
Speakers - Monitor Audio silver 1 (5th Gen)
Subwoofer - REL Quake

Appreciate any thoughts?

Cheers

jjbomber

Hello,
. My only concern is does the 6000a have enough power (50w per channel into 8ohms) to effectively drive the MA’s (89db 8ohms)?

That's plenty of power and I doubt that you would use 3 watts. A sensitivity of 89db is high and suggests an easy to drive loudspeaker. So unless you live in a mansion or are deaf, that will be great.

I would try and get a listen of the Audiolab v the Rotel A14. Shops open next week, unless you're in Wales, where it's in 2032. Jeez, we are the only country in Europe that still bans tennis!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scren1
D

Deleted member 188516

hi, maybe consider the rega apollo cd player and the matching brio integrated amplifier ?

they will match your rega turntable and when i auditioned these units they filled the large dem room with sound and sub like bass.

(i auditioned them with bowers and wilkins 606 loudspeakers and was sat about 20 feet away from the speakers...).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's plenty of power and I doubt that you would use 3 watts. A sensitivity of 89db is high and suggests an easy to drive loudspeaker. So unless you live in a mansion or are deaf, that will be great.

I would try and get a listen of the Audiolab v the Rotel A14. Shops open next week, unless you're in Wales, where is 2032. Jeez, we are the only country in Europe that still bans tennis!
You in Wales as well then jj?, or did I read that wrong?
You're correct in that the amp combo should have ample power unless disco levels are required.
The 6000CDT will limit upgrade potential though.

Last edited:

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site

I would try and get a listen of the Audiolab v the Rotel A14. Shops open next week, unless you're in Wales, where is 2032. Jeez, we are the only country in Europe that still bans tennis!

Thanks for that! I’m neither rich nor deaf so that should do just fine 😂
I’m keen to test out a few different combos. I really like the detail with MA speakers but sometime they can sound quite bright so looking to pair them with components that will give a good tonal balance. Anyway I’m in sunny scotland so I think we might have a few more weeks to wait, but at least they’ll let me play tennis ;-)

Reactions: Al ears

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
hi, maybe consider the rega apollo cd player and the matching brio integrated amplifier ?

they will match your rega turntable and when i auditioned these units they filled the large dem room with sound and sub like bass.

(i auditioned them with bowers and wilkins 606 loudspeakers and was sat about 20 feet away from the speakers...).

Yeah I’ve read good things about the rega amps I’ll stick it on the shortlist. 👍

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
You in Wales as well then jj?, or did I read that wrong?
You're correct in that the amp combo should have ample power unless disco levels are required.
The 6000CDT will limit upgrade potential though.

One of the things I like about the audiolab set up was the potential for future upgrade e.g add an external DAC for the transport or add a pre or peer to The amp.
Read good article on audiophile-man website that was raving about the transport.

One of the things I like about the audiolab set up was the potential for future upgrade e.g add an external DAC for the transport or add a pre or peer to The amp.
Read good article on audiophile-man website that was raving about the transport.
There is that potential of course, but then why buy an amp with an inbuilt DAC that will become redundant?
Start from the source is a great idea so transport / external DAC / amp is what I would suggest.

Jimboo

I own the 6000CDT . I listened initially to the Rega Apollo and another thousand poundish cd player. As a transport it is sublime. If you up the price of DACs to pair it with you will realise how good a transport it is for the price and your dac requirements will come down in price. It is a rare breed , generously priced and a truly quality product . You have to spend a lot of money to find it's match.

Reactions: Al ears and Scren1

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I’m looking to upgrade my current CD player, stereo amplifier and loudspeakers. I have a budget of around 2k and my initial thoughts are audiolab 6000CDT/6000a combo with MA silver 200’s. My only concern is does the 6000a have enough power (50w per channel into 8ohms) to effectively drive the MA’s (89db 8ohms)? Or do I need more juice with something like the audiolab, 8300a (with ext DAC) or Rotel A14?

Current set up is:
CD player - Rotel RCD 951
Turntable - Rega P1
Amplifier - Rotel Ra-04
Speakers - Monitor Audio silver 1 (5th Gen)
Subwoofer - REL Quake

Appreciate any thoughts?

Cheers
I would set my sights on upgrading one item at a time or splitting your budget in two - 1k for an amp and 1k for speakers, then save up for the other components later. That way you will gradually build a higher quality system. That's assuming you know you can save more in the future and you don't mind waiting.

D

Deleted member 188516

I would set my sights on upgrading one item at a time or splitting your budget in two - 1k for an amp and 1k for speakers, then save up for the other components later. That way you will gradually build a higher quality system. That's assuming you know you can save more in the future and you don't mind waiting.

noted you have a rega apollo cd player in your system.

may i ask how do you find this unit compared to any past cd players you have owned ?

Jimboo

I demoed the Apollo, sounded good but no better than my audiolab transport , the display is disgusting and the design is like something batman would use, actually it looks tacky.
Horses for courses. I think there are other players that push in front of it.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
noted you have a rega apollo cd player in your system.

may i ask how do you find this unit compared to any past cd players you have owned ?
Back in 1992 (I think), I purchased a Rotel RCD-965BX which developed a faulty tray and gave me an excuse in 2012 to purchase the Apollo (clam shell version prior to the Apollo-R) to partner my Rega Brio amp. To be perfectly honest I don't remember there being much difference in sound quality between the two cd players, not that I remember. I still have the Rotel which by all accounts was a decent player at that price point. I do enjoy the Apollo but it is starting to get a bit temperamental. Unless it stops working, I have room treatment first on my upgrade path, then it will be probably a CD transport and a good DAC. I do like the Exposure XM CD player which has good reviews, especially as a transport, but that's for another day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

I demoed the Apollo, sounded good but no better than my audiolab transport , the display is disgusting and the design is like something batman would use, actually it looks tacky.

thanks for the reply. i found the display a bit rubbish too but kind of like the darth vader styling !

having said that the top loading mechanism, with the laser exposed, is an accident waiting to happen with me - scratched disc, laser or both !

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Out of interest, what DAC did you use with the Audiolab transport?

D

Deleted member 188516

Back in 1992 (I think), I purchased a Rotel RCD-965BX which developed a faulty tray and gave me an excuse in 2012 to purchase the Apollo (clam shell version prior to the Apollo-R) to partner my Rega Brio amp. To be perfectly honest I don't remember there being much difference in sound quality between the two cd players, not that I remember. I still have the Rotel which by all accounts was a decent player at that price point. I do enjoy the Apollo but it is starting to get a bit temperamental. Unless it stops working, I have room treatment first on my upgrade path, then it will be probably a CD transport and a good DAC. I do like the Exposure XM CD player which has good reviews, especially as a transport, but that's for another day.

thanks for the reply.

temperamental ?

why can they not make cd players that last...

D

Deleted member 188516

Temperamental in that it sometimes does not read the disc, or freezes. Maybe it needs a clean?
But it's fine because it provides me with a reason to give my other half, for buying a new one ;)

freezes or sometimes does not read a disc ?
sounds like its on the way out !

may i ask how old is the unit ?

would you buy another rega or maybe the exposure cd player to match your amps ?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
freezes or sometimes does not read a disc ?
sounds like its on the way out !

may i ask how old is the unit ?

would you buy another rega or maybe the exposure cd player to match your amps ?
Purchased the Apollo in 2012, the lazer may need a proper clean which I may research how to do. The issue does seem to be happening more frequently.
I would be happy to buy another Rega, I am keen to demo the Rega Saturn-R which by most accounts is a very good player. The main problem with the Saturn-R is that I would be paying for a DAC as well, so I would need to compare it's DAC against other DAC's.
The Exposure is a CD player but also could be used as a transport to feed another DAC. The Exposure XM CD is half case width, so I could potentially place an Exposure phono amp next to it - which would look neat.
My Exposure pre-amp has a DAC module fitted, so I could replace this with the Phono module - as always too many options :)

Purchased the Apollo in 2012, the lazer may need a proper clean which I may research how to do. The issue does seem to be happening more frequently.
I would be happy to buy another Rega, I am keen to demo the Rega Saturn-R which by most accounts is a very good player. The main problem with the Saturn-R is that I would be paying for a DAC as well, so I would need to compare it's DAC against other DAC's.
The Exposure is a CD player but also could be used as a transport to feed another DAC. The Exposure XM CD is half case width, so I could potentially place an Exposure phono amp next to it - which would look neat.
My Exposure pre-amp has a DAC module fitted, so I could replace this with the Phono module - as always too many options :)
Personally I would stick to a transport as there is little point in paying for a CD player if you're only going to use it as a transport. However, in your case for aesthetics alone, it may be the way to go.
If it's just a case of a mucky lens then there are cleaning discs available, worth trying these first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts