Castle Severn 2 sell or keep

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have a perfectly good pair of castle Severn 2s and wondered if it's worth selling these and upgrading to something a bit more modern or keeping these. Has speaker technology advanced that much that I would even hear a difference or would I be better off running these until they eventually die. Many years left in them though I think. If I were to sell would be buying something in the 500 market. Thanks all

daveperry3018 said:
Hi I have a perfectly good pair of castle Severn 2s and wondered if it's worth selling these and upgrading to something a bit more modern or keeping these. Has speaker technology advanced that much that I would even hear a difference or would I be better off running these until they eventually die. Many years left in them though I think. If I were to sell would be buying something in the 500 market. Thanks all

Personally if they are doing a good job I would keep them. You don't mention the rest of your kit but, as you are unlikely to get much more than £150 for them, I would hang on until you have a bigger budget.

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Denon avr 1910, tannoy v4s and monitor audio Mr centre. Not the best I know but I like it and kind of feel that the castles are the best link in the chain, just will I get any improvements in the sub 600 bracket, I know these castles were midrange during the 90s but has there been great improvement in the lower budget market. My q really is would buying something in the sub 600 market be a step sideways rather than improvement or making things worse, van Damme blue studio grade 1.5mm all round.

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Daveperry3018,

By all means take a listen to £500 alternatives but I think you'll be dissapointed, I still run some Castle Howard S2's and they do a great job and keep getter better with other upgrades, I looked at replacing them once or twice but in my opinion I'd need to spend £2.5K+ to better them.......

Modern is not necessarily better....

Thanks

The_Master66

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The best advice anyone's going to give you is go and listen to new speakers within your budget and decide for yourself. But don't be surprised if you come out the shop with your wallet still full. The hardest bit will be trying not to be overawed by shiny shiny (hey we all get overawed by new kit to some degree) and the fact anything you listen to will sound at least different. Our brains can be confused into interpretting 'different' as 'better', until a week later when you've grown accustomed to the sound and you realise it's not as good as what you had.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I would keep them. Castle speakers are of fine reputation. I don't think speakers sound better today compared with decades ago only made cheaper to improve profit margins. Enjoy them

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
daveperry3018 said:
Asks everyone for your replies, helpful as ever. I think I will hang on until they die.

Smart move, of course you may be putting a few chinese 5 year olds out of a job but its the right thing to do

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
daveperry3018 said:
Asks everyone for your replies, helpful as ever. I think I will hang on until they die.

Smart move, of course you may be putting a few chinese 5 year olds out of a job but its the right thing to do

And why not, certain Chinese inaction has effectively put me out of a job.    But that's another story... :)

Well then thats more time for you to help me build some 100s lol

Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
daveperry3018 said:

And why not, certain Chinese inaction has effectively put me out of a job. But that's another story... :)

I'd be happy to. Anything to ease the daily house-cleaning routine.

I do actually own a soldering iron or two and some side-cutters. :)

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Fellow Castle Severn 2 user here (in medium oak *biggrin* )

A friend of mine has a mostly Linn system, he rated the sound from my system as being on par with his - though due to household (read "wife") restrictions his speakers aren't ideally placed.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
daveperry3018 said:

And why not, certain Chinese inaction has effectively put me out of a job.    But that's another story... :)

We just need chisel and hamer now

Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
daveperry3018 said:

And why not, certain Chinese inaction has effectively put me out of a job. But that's another story... :)

We just need chisel and hamer now

Hammer and chisel? Are you not building from a kit? You're building it from a tree by the sound of it. :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Keep.

You're highly unlikely to get anything worthwhile sub GBP1000 as suitable replacements.

Spend the money on a new source or amp instead if your money is burning holes in your wallet. (Or buy some of my patent speaker oil....)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts