Cassette Decks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
I had a car that had a cassette player. I have a TEAC 1050. With which I made many mix-tapes. And now and then, enjoy them today. I only used tdk SA90, and I will not part with it for love nor money.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Dolby stopped issuing licences for their noise reduction system around 2014, so its no longer available for any manufacture to include on new decks. (Perhaps if the cassette comeback is real they may think again)
While Dolby B is the most common, if you want to record your own for personal use, then Dolby C in combination HX Pro is the best, just not compatible with most normal players.
Had an Aiwa tape deck but found Dolby killed the treble on playback. The tape speed was too slow for music good production. R-DAT was better but was short lasted.

abacus

Had an Aiwa tape deck but found Dolby killed the treble on playback. The tape speed was too slow for music good production. R-DAT was better but was short lasted.
Was the tape you played recorded with Dolby? as if not then this is why you lost treble. (Dolby is a 2-way system)
If you ever get the chance have a listen to a Nakamichi cassette deck.

Bill

Reactions: jjbomber

Dicky-Art

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I use an older Yamaha one I bought second hand about 10 years ago and it still sounds good if I keep the heads demagnetised and clean. I also have an unused TEAC V-377 deck going free if anyone wants it (unfortunately it was cheap and the speed fluctuated so I never used it, may be belts??)

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I had a car that had a cassette player. I have a TEAC 1050. With which I made many mix-tapes. And now and then, enjoy them today. I only used tdk SA90, and I will not part with it for love nor money.
My car has a working cassette player, along with an in-dash 6-CD deck. The cassette player is my only one. I also only used tdk SA90 Type II tapes, though I mostly made copies of full albums -typically, 1 per side.

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
I use an older Yamaha one I bought second hand about 10 years ago and it still sounds good if I keep the heads demagnetised and clean. I also have an unused TEAC V-377 deck going free if anyone wants it (unfortunately it was cheap and the speed fluctuated so I never used it, may be belts??)
My in-car tape player, often played up. It would wow . But bringing the said tape home and fed it to my TEAC, I had to FF and rewind two or three times and hey presto! Stopped wowing.

iMark

If you can find an Aiwa AD3800 in decent condition I would certainly recommend one. Had one years ago and it was a very good machine, especially with metal (type IV) tapes.
Unfortunately it got lost in a house fire.
One of the features of the deck is that it will measure the bias of the tape you're going to use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts