Cartridges

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:
any particular models i should look at steve, thanks guys for all the advice. i have posted a new t/t thread as i may be looking to go belt drive for reasons explained in new thread.

Be careful with the Nagaoka's on direct drives. I could never get the Nag to reach the recommended distance on the Pioneer, (I believe it's Stevenson alignment - *the Technics may be different*). The stylus is a long way under the body on the Nag and the headshell slots were too short; I purchased a longer headshell and it worked but sounded lousy so I just re-fitted the Ortofon. The AT looks the favourite here.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ok guys been looking at cartridges and the ats seems favourite. now the ones ive seen are at 440mlb at12eb and also an atf7 moving coil......what do you think ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes after reading the reviews i think thats the one ive decided on..........ive also just bought a new technics headshell, one of the silver ones, mainly for cosmetic reasons for when i upgrade the cartridge but its come with the 4 gram weight on top. Now do i keep my tracking weight the same which is around 1.7 for my current cartridge at91 . When i took the weight off, the arm just went straight up. Surely my original black technics headshell cant be the same weight as the silver one plus the weight .

audioaddict said:
yes after reading the reviews i think thats the one ive decided on..........ive also just bought a new technics headshell, one of the silver ones, mainly for cosmetic reasons for when i upgrade the cartridge but its come with the 4 gram weight on top. Now do i keep my tracking weight the same which is around 1.7 for my current cartridge at91 . When i took the weight off, the arm just went straight up. Surely my original black technics headshell cant be the same weight as the silver one plus the weight .

The turntable tonearm itself must have a weight-zeroing mechanism for the whole set-up, that is arm, headshell and cartridge so that the cartridge just floats clear of the platter.

Only once it has been zeroed can the correct downforce be applied. For this cartridge 1.4 to 1.6g should be adequate.

Not at all sure why headshell would come with weight on top, did you buy second hand?

D

Deleted member 108165

As Al says for setting up.

"DJ" headshells come with a screw-in weight, my Pioneer also had an additional screw-in weight for the other end of the toneram too. Not 100% certain but I believe the headshell weight is there for DJ carts requiring heavier VTF than the tonearm counter-weight can obtain unassisted, (and maybe for compliance issues too). As you're using a hi-fi cart just unscrew the weight from the headshell and perform the set-up process before setting VTF. The AT should come with recommended VTF parameters, err towards the heavier setting. Yes, different headshells can be heavier/lighter.

Any other Q's just come back...

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
audioaddict said:
no al its brand new from juno records

The turntable tonearm itself must have a weight-zeroing mechanism for the whole set-up, that is arm, headshell and cartridge so that the cartridge just floats clear of the platter.

Only once it has been zeroed can the correct downforce be applied. For this cartridge 1.4 to 1.6g should be adequate.

Not at all sure why headshell would come with weight on top, did you buy second hand?

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:
set up cartridge fine, just me being thick..........doug can i bend your ear about the sound quality build etc of your pioneer deck ?

No problem, be my guest *biggrin*

I must state that the Pioneer has been superceded by the Marantz now.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
audioaddict said:
set up cartridge fine, just me being thick..........doug can i bend your ear about the sound quality build etc of your pioneer deck ?

No problem, be my guest *biggrin*

I must state that the Pioneer has been superceded by the Marantz now.

I was considering a Pioneer about 18 months or so back but after watching this sourced my new Technics instead. It is focused more on build quailty than sound apart from an excessive amount of feedback. An interesting in depth look at the differences between the two models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

D

Deleted member 108165

luckylion100 said:
I was considering a Pioneer about 18 months or so back but after watching this sourced my new Technics instead. It is focused more on build quailty than sound apart from an excessive amount of feedback. An interesting in depth look at the differences between the two models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

That review was always very suspect to say the least. Never had any feedback issues with my deck; it did all I could have ever asked of it and looked absolutely fantastic, that's the only reason I haven't moved it on. However, quality issues were very present. The Pioneer is just a Hanpin clone of the mighty Technics, it does not have any of the excellent engineering used in the Technics and is basically a pimped Reloop. Conversely, however, in many reviews it states that sonically the Pioneer is more hi-fi than the Technics.

One point worth noting is that my Pioneer replaced a Pro-ject Debut Carbon which it outperformed with the same cart fitted, Ditto the same reason why I now have the Marantz, but the difference was far more pronounced between Pioneer - Marantz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts