Cartridges Mmmmm....

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone..im new here, wanted to ask a question of you.

I have just purchased a Michell Gyrodec SE to which i have put an Origin Live Silver MK3A arm...this setup is replacing my classic 30yr old Michell Syncro, RB250 arm, and Nagaoka MP11 Boron SB i cant wait to hear it! I really am exited, but....cartridge? I have been looking a lot and have shortlisted 2...the Goldring 1042 & the Grado Reference Platinum 1 I think that with the Silver arm either of these will sound pretty good as the MK3A gets the best out of whatever you are using cartridge wise...what are your thoughts on this?

TIA

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Well, this one's out of my league, so I'll just wish you much happiness with that set-up!

Well it is a bit of extravagence tis true....but it was at the right price for both items...and to be honest, i thought...it will be my last purchase turntable wise, as, for me, its my holy grail....ive always been an advocate of 'spend as much on the scource component as you can...the rest will follow.

My CD player is old now (NAD 524) i STILL have a cassette deck (Aiwa ADF770 from the 80's) Panasonic BDP220 Blu-ray, all running through a Yamaha RXV-467 7.1 receiver then out of 2 Tannoy Revolution DC6T's on the front L&R and Ageing Mission Cinema 72's on the surround...it works nicely, but vinyl is my god, so the best it has to be...

blackrain said:
Hi everyone..im new here, wanted to ask a question of you.

I have just purchased a Michell Gyrodec SE to which i have put an Origin Live Silver MK3A arm...this setup is replacing my classic 30yr old Michell Syncro, RB250 arm, and Nagaoka MP11 Boron SB i cant wait to hear it! I really am exited, but....cartridge? I have been looking a lot and have shortlisted 2...the Goldring 1042 & the Grado Reference Platinum 1 I think that with the Silver arm either of these will sound pretty good as the MK3A gets the best out of whatever you are using cartridge wise...what are your thoughts on this?

TIA

I don't think you would go far wrong with either of those. The Goldring is very good and probably the easiest of the two to set-up.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Al...yes i was wondering if that would be the case....the first cartridge i had on my Syncro years ago was a Goldring 1020, and it sounded great...so i'll check goldring out i think.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Well after a lot of oooing and ahhing ive finally gone for the Audio Note IQ1 cartridge.....tried to stretch to the IQ2, but just didnt have the budget. The IQ is based on the Goldring range but modded by audio note...and the nice thing is you can upgrade to the IQ2 or 3 as and when you want...Priced at £295 for the IQ1. I'll let you know how it sounds.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Im Setting it all up at the moment, had to get a suitable arm board to take origin arm from Michell..

I came from a Syncro mk1 with rega RB250 arm.....so expecting to be serenaded with the new setup..i'll post up when its all ready to go and ive had a listen...got to burn new stylus in a bit before it will really perform.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts