Cartridges for Thorens turntables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for recommendations for a new cartridge / stylus for my old turntable. I have a Thorens TD166 mark II (>20 year old) with Ortofon (VMS-20E) cartridge and put through a Project Phono Box mark II. The amp / speaker system is a pair of B&W 703's driven by a bi-amped Cyrus Pre Xvs/Smart Power Plus/8 Power Pre/ Double Power Combo. I was going to be changing the cartridge to a Denon Dl-304 MC but this now has major delays and am looking for alternatives. Any thoughts / recommendations out there?
emotion-42.gif

John Duncan

I liked the Sumiko Blue Point Special on a Gyro, which is about the same price - ditto the Ortofon 2M, um, Black, I think, though that was a bit dearer. The Kontrapunkt B I covet is pushing the limits of the phono stage I think...........

T

the record spot

I think the Denon has quite a warm sound to it, would that be right for the 304? Avoid the Audio Technica AT440 I have in that case which has a bright expressive top end and weighty bass. This is a sound I like and it does a great job on my deck - really suits my ears, but you might want to look at Goldring's 1012/1022/1042GX models (ranging from £110 - £160) or their newer 2100 or 2200 (albeit they might have a bit more attack in them) for more midrange.

The Sumiko is another one to consider as John mentions and you could always think about the Kontrapunkt B when you win the lottery and upgrade the rest of the system too; I read great things about that cart from all angles - it's too much for the T166, but one to aim for in the future maybe!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
a good source to check is the cartridge database, it will give you good options for your deck and arm but for a great cartridge as a back up is the at 95e. punches well above it's price tag. the goldring cartridges mentioned above will suit your thorens nicely or why not a new stylus for your ortofon, it's a good one.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned also that I plan on upgrading the phone stage in the near future so that should not be considered the limit of the turntable system. Any thoughts for that?

I'm a newbee to these forums so can you advise where this 'cartridge database' is?

T

the record spot

Depending on the budget, Cambridge Audio's 640P at £60 has great things written of it, Graham Slee's (I think) Slam 1 - it's the one at £99 - is also well rated. NAD PP2 at £40 and Project's Phono Box (not sure of the price but no more than £60 I think) are also contenders. The NADs maybe the weakest link, with the Graham Slee probably top.

John Duncan

[quote user="the record spot"]Depending on the budget, Cambridge Audio's 640P at £60 has great things written of it, Graham Slee's (I think) Slam 1 - it's the one at £99 - is also well rated. NAD PP2 at £40 and Project's Phono Box (not sure of the price but no more than £60 I think) are also contenders. The NADs maybe the weakest link, with the Graham Slee probably top.[/quote]

Yup, the 640p's great, beats all comers for me up to about 200 quid, so I'd aim higher than that - got to be the Dino for my money.

A

Anonymous

hallsteg,

Cartridge database link as follows:

http://www.cartridgedb.com/

Interested in thread as I am looking at replacing stylus or upgrading cartridge but I'm totally clueless on such matters and will likely post a thread here in a little while.

A

Anonymous

I was using a Grado Prestige Gold with my Thorens TD160MK2 SME series111, quite good indeed. I am now using a Denon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts