Cartridge Upgrade

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a Project Debut Phono fitted with the original Ortofon 5E cartridge... I'm wondering what the best options are for replacing/upgrading it... I may also soon replace the turntable, so any ideas on next steps there would be appreciated also.

thanks!!!

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Anything from Nagaoka, Audio-Techica or Grado in your price bracket will be great.

Different things for different people though.

chris_bates1974 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a Project Debut Phono fitted with the original Ortofon 5E cartridge... I'm wondering what the best options are for replacing/upgrading it... I may also soon replace the turntable, so any ideas on next steps there would be appreciated also.

thanks!!!

You'll get a bigger upgrade in sound with a better TT, so decide if that option is feasible. If you decide to keep the Debut then perhaps look at Goldring or perhaps Shure. They both produce fabulous budget carts.

chris_bates1974 said:
Thanks guys... So if I replace the TT, do you think another Project? I had a Planar 3 back in the dark mists of time, what are the newer Regas like?

or are there other options?

If you mean 'out of the box' difference then there's nothing to choose between them. If, on the other hand, you want to upgrade a TT then, perhaps, Rega has the edge.

Really boils down to whether you're a tweaker or not.

T

the record spot

Audio Technica AT440MLa. Killer cartridge that'll last many an upgrade.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
If you like the sound of the Ortofon, why not stick with the brand? They make some truly outstanding cartridges. Have you heard a 2M Blue? I agree with PP though, if you're a "tweaker" maybe you should try a Rega table next. If not, then you'd have to go a long way to beat the Pro-Jects. If you check my signature you'll note that I've just joined the "Pro-ject club" after upgrading from my trusty 25 year old Linn LP12. I was genuinely surprised that the company can compete at all price levels.

chris_bates1974 said:
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to look at an Ortofon or Grado - they seem to get pretty decent reviews....

Nice one - I have the Xpression 1 and I have the ClearAudio Classic Wood cart fitted. Very decent improvement over the standard Ortofon, as you would expect given the price difference.

Pro-jects, even budget ones, are very good when it comes to hearing the difference with a better cart. That said, I would still recommend a TT change if you're looking for a significant improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts